  Re: who's rewriting /etc/fstab? (Jean-David Beyer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Matrox AGP G450 on Redhat 7 - Can't get X to Start
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:13:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  benoit mordelet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric Ste-Marie wrote:
> >
> > Well I'm working in X with the G450 right
now.  Are you guys not seeing
> > anything at all?
>
> well, when I tried with XFree86 4.0.1 + driver
from matrox web site, and
> kernel 2.2.17 or 2.4.0-test12, the result was
always the same : X seemed
> to start but then freezed and I couldn't switch
to VT, kill X with
> ctl-alt-backspace, or anything else and had to
press the reset button.
Did you have 2 monitors connected to your Card?
If not did you try unpluging from port 1 and plug
in to port 2?  I suspect that X would show up on
the second port.  (Like it does for me)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Lupei Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help needed to bring up a pcmcia modem.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:34:11 -0800

Hi,

   I installed RH7.0 on my Dell4000 laptop. I am having problem to get
the modem (Xircom cardbus) working. Linux recognizes the card as shown
from "cardctl ident":

Socket 0:
  product info: "Xircom", "CardBus Ethernet II 10/100", "CBEII-10/100",
"1.03"
  manfid: 0x0105, 0x0103
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  product info: "Xircom", "CardBus Modem 56WG", "CBM56WG", "1.00"
  manfid: 0x0105, 0x1000
  function: 2 (serial)

but it failed to configure the card while excuting "modprobe serial_cs"
and complains:
serial_cs: ParseTuple: No more items

can anyone help me to solve this problem.  I've put /var/log/messages
below.

thanks

Lupei

here are the messages from /var/log/message:

pcmcia: Starting PCMCIA services:
pcmcia:  modules
kernel: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.19
kernel:   kernel build: 2.2.16-22 #1 Tue Aug 22 16:49:06 EDT 2000
kernel:   options:  [pci] [cardbus] [apm]
kernel: PCI routing table version 1.0 at 0xfbd80
kernel:   00:03.0 -> irq 11
kernel:   00:03.1 -> irq 11
kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
kernel:   TI 1420 rev 00 PCI-to-CardBus at slot 00:03, mem 0x68000000
kernel:     host opts [0]: [ring] [serial pci & irq] [pci irq 11] [lat
32/32] [b
us 32/34]
kernel:     host opts [1]: [ring] [serial pci & irq] [pci irq 11] [lat
32/32] [b
us 35/37]
kernel:     ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,4,7,9,10 PCI status changes
pcmcia:  cardmgr.
rc: Starting pcmcia:  succeeded
cardmgr[469]: starting, version is 3.1.19
cardmgr[469]: watching 2 sockets
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: excluding 0xcf8-0xcff
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: excluding 0x800-0x84f
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x290-0x297
0x378-0x37f 0x4d0
-0x4d7
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 35): vendor 0x11c1, device 0x0420
kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 32): vendor 0x115d, device 0x0003
cardmgr[469]: initializing socket 0
cardmgr[469]: socket 0: Xircom CBEII-10/100 CardBus 10/100 Ethernet
cardmgr[469]: executing: 'modprobe cb_enabler'
cardmgr[469]: executing: 'modprobe tulip_cb'
kernel: cs: cb_config(bus 32)
kernel:   fn 0 bar 1: io 0x200-0x27f
kernel:   fn 0 bar 2: mem 0x6000d000-0x6000d7ff
kernel:   fn 0 bar 3: mem 0x6000c000-0x6000c7ff
kernel:   fn 0 rom: mem 0x60008000-0x6000bfff
kernel:   irq 11
kernel: tulip_attach(device 20:00.0)
kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (modified
by [EMAIL PROTECTED] for XIRCOM CBE, fixed by Doug Ledford)
kernel: eth0: Xircom Cardbus Adapter (DEC 21143 compatible mode) rev 3
at 0x200,
 00:10:A4:11:76:E6, IRQ 11.
kernel: eth0:  MII transceiver #0 config 3100 status 7809 advertising
01e1.
cardmgr[469]: executing: './network start eth0'
pumpd[512]: starting at (uptime 0 days, 0:00:37) Sat Feb  3 09:57:01
2001
xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
lpd: lpd startup succeeded
keytable: Loading keymap:
keytable: Loading /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz
keytable: Loading system font:
rc: Starting keytable:  succeeded
pumpd[512]: configured interface eth0
cardmgr[469]: + Determining IP information for eth0... done.
cardmgr[469]: initializing socket 1
cardmgr[469]: socket 1: Serial or Modem
cardmgr[469]: executing: 'modprobe serial_cs'
kernel: serial_cs: ParseTuple: No more items
sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded
gpm: gpm startup succeeded
cardmgr[469]: get dev info on socket 1 failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable

------------------------------

From: "Regent Linus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Ask about Samba
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 03:01:34 +0800

Hi all,

I am to ask something about Samba.

Currently my office have 1 machine with Linux, acted as a
webserver and fileserver, and 4 machines with Window.
I have used window's "mapped driver" for the 4 machines
connecting Samba fileserver when users login in, it works
fine at most of time, but the weird thing is, when I come to
office at the morning., say 9am, window say "the driver(Samba)
can't be connected" something liked that, but if after I logged
into window and then access the Samba, it could be clicked into
and all the files shown but just the first click may take some
more time.

As I want to log the machine log in time by analysing the Samba
logs, so I need the Samba could be connected at any time, Could
anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks a lot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 on RH7.0
Date: 5 Jan 2001 13:56:38 -0600

In article <934uos$pq6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>RH7.0 really 2.4 ready? Is it worth compiling or should I wait for the
>next official RH or Mandrake version?

What feature of the new kernel are you interested in?  Or do you just
want to go through hassle because there's something "new" out there?

RH and Mdk will probably come out with a version as soon as it's
"2.4.0", since that's how they make their money.  --regardless if
it's "ready".

(I'm waiting for JFS and Logical Volume Manager to be fully implemented,
myself.)

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Mandrake Error Installation
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:48:43 GMT

I use mandrake distros of linuxregularly and i have run into a really
kinda annoying problem
i have an old packard bell POS i got for free
well anyway it has an old 4x cdrom 8 megs of ram z 1.5 gig HD and
probably the junkiest stuff imaginable for card/modem/ect(i did even
check)
well anyway i am trying to install linux mandrake on it
i made a copy of rawrite because the bios of this computer wont boot to
cd-rom
well i try to load linux and what happens is it gets to the
initialiseing cd-rom part of the installation and then never leaves it
i just sit there like a slob waiting and it never comes
what could be my problem?
does anyone know?
i thank you i n advance for your help
bye

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Bailey)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: cp -i -f
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:01:04 GMT

In <934t88$o7s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Why is it that
:
:/bin/cp -i -f
:
:prompts when overwriting, while
:
:/bin/mv -i -f
:and
:/bin/rm -i -f
:
:do not prompt?
:
:This seems inconsistent.
:
:cp (GNU fileutils) 4.0x

The GNU fileutils would appear to heed the latter of two conflicting
flags; e.g. "cp -i -f foo bar" would force an overwrite an existing
file "bar", but "cp -f -i foo bar" would prompt before overwriting.

Regards
--
"Some call me '^B[a-z\'-]+$', but I have many names".

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: question on bad hardware.
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:21:51 -0500

hello,
assume we have linux running on a server and we are connecting to it using a
terminal
emulator from a windows client to run programs, assume again that our
windows pc
is old and very flaky (freezes a lot etc. bad ram etc.) how will this affect
the data on the linux box since we are running a time sharing system and all
we are doing is connecting to the box and sending screen and keyboard
emulations, while the actual processes are being run on the linux server.

thank you,
kenny.

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: happy new year.
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:26:04 -0500

hello,
well i hope you all had a wonderful holiday.
thanks for all the help last year.

thank you,
kenny.

------------------------------

From: "Jon A. Schmuland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:28:32 GMT

Exactly.  Bravo.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Maris Orbidans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live on  Asus A7V , Red Hat 7.0   error "device or resource busy"
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:26:27 +0200

Hello

I have SB Live  on Asus A7V  (VIA KT-133 chipset ) motherboard.
Red Hat 7.0 displays error "device or resource busy"  every time I try to
load  emu10k1 module.

I have found following answer in homepage of Creative Labs:

> Q.A2- I get a "device or resource busy" error when loading the driver
> This is a know bug with ABIT B6 + HPT366 controller motherboards.
> You must not use the `pci=reverse' kernel  option.
> Usually this option is set in /etc/lilo.conf.

But I haven't found any `pci=reverse'  option in lilo.conf   or somewhere
else.
I don't know how to change that option.

Could you give me some advice, please ?
thanx

Maris

------------------------------

From: Trevor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.comp.hardware,nf.general,can.general,nb.general,bc.general,ns.general
Subject: Parents of 15 year old find $71,000 in his closet!
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:07:45 -0800

It Works, Its Legal, Its Easy, so Why Not?

Parents of 15-year-old find $71,000 cash hidden in his closet.

Does this headline look familiar? Of course it does.

You most likely have just seen this story recently featured on a major
nightly
news program (USA).

His mother was cleaning and putting laundry away when she came across a
large
brown paper bag that was
suspiciously buried beneath some clothes and a skateboard in the back of
her
15-year-old son's closet. Nothing
could have prepared her for the shock she got when she opened the bag
and found
it was full of cash. Five
dollar bills, twenties, fifties and hundreds - all neatly rubber-banded
in
labeled piles.

"My first thought was that he had robbed a bank", says the 41-year-old
woman,
"There was over $71,000
dollars in that bag - that's more than my husband earns in a year".

The woman immediately called her husband at the car-dealership where he
worked
to tell him what she'd
discovered. He came home right away and they drove together to the boy's
school
and picked him up. Little did
they suspect that where the money came from was more shocking than
actually
finding it in the closet.

As it turns out, the boy had been sending out via E-mail on the Internet
a type
of 'chain-letter' to E-mail
addresses that he obtained off of the Internet. Everyday after school
for the
past 2 months, he had been doing
this right on his computer in his bedroom.

"I just got the E-mail one day and I figured what the heck, I put my
name on it
like the instructions said and I
started sending it out", says the clever 15-year-old.

The E-mail letter listed 3 addresses and contained instructions to send
one $5
dollar bill to each person on the list,
then delete that address on top and move the other 2 addresses up, and
finally
to add your name to the
bottom of the list. The letter goes on to state that you would receive
several
thousand dollars in five dollar bills
within 2 weeks if you sent out the letter with your name at the bottom
of the
3-address list.   "I get junk E-mail all
the time, and I really didn't think it was gonna work", the boy
continues.

Within the first few days of sending out the E-mail, the Post Office Box
that
his parents had gotten him for his
video-game magazine subscriptions began to fill up with not magazines,
but
envelopes containing $5 dollar bills.

"About a week later I rode [my bike] down to the post office and my box
had 1
magazine and about 300
envelopes stuffed in it. There was also a yellow slip that said I had to
go up
to the [post office] counter- I
thought I was in trouble or something (laughs)". He goes on, "I went up
to the
counter and they had a whole box
of more mail for me. I had to ride back home and empty out my backpack
'cause I
couldn't carry it all".

Over the next few weeks, the boy continued sending out the E-mail. "The
money
just kept coming in and I just
kept sorting it and stashing it in the closet, I barely had time for my
homework". He had also been riding his bike
to several of the area's banks and exchanging the $5 bills for twenties,

fifties and hundreds. "I didn't want the
banks to get suspicious so I kept riding to different banks with like
five
thousand at a time in my backpack. I
would usually tell the lady at the bank counter that my dad had sent me
in [to
exchange the money] and he was
outside waiting for me. One time the lady gave me a really strange look
and
told me that she wouldn't be able to
do it for me and my dad would have to come in and do it, but I just rode
to the
next bank down the street
(laughs).

" Surprisingly, the boy didn't have any reason to be afraid. The
reporting news
team examined and investigated
the so-called 'chain-letter' the boy was sending out and found that it
wasn't a
chain-letter at all. In fact, it was
completely legal according to US Postal and Lottery Laws, Title 18,
Section
1302 and 1341, or Title 18,
Section 3005 in the US code, also in the code of federal regulations,
Volume
16, Sections 255 and 436, which
state a product or service must be exchanged for money received.

Every five dollar bill that he received contained a little note that
read,
"Please add me to your mailing list". This
simple note made the letter legal because he was exchanging a service
(adding
the purchaser's name to his
mailing list) for a five dollar fee.

Here is the letter that the 15-year-old was sending out by E-mail, you
can do
the exact same thing he was doing,
simply by following the instructions in this letter.

* * * * *
Here are instructions on how to make $10,000 US cash in the next 2
weeks:

There are 3 addresses listed below.

Send each person on the list a $5 bill wrapped in 2 pieces of paper (to
securely hide it), along with a
note that says: "Please add me to your mailing list".

Then delete the name at the top,  move the other 2 up and put your name
at the
bottom.

Now start sending this ENTIRE e-mail back out to people.

When 20 people receive it, those 20 people will move your name up to the
middle
position and they will each
send out 20. That totals 400 people that will receive this letter with
your
name in the middle.

Then, those 400 people will move your name up to the top and they will
each
send out 20 E-mails. That totals
8,000 people that will receive this E-mail with your name at the top and
they
will each send you a $5 bill.

8,000 people each sending you a $5 bill = $40,000 cash. That's if
everyone
responds to this E-mail, but not
everyone will, so you can expect more realistically to receive about
$10,000 in
cash ($5 bills) in your mailbox.

This will work for anyone, anywhere in the world in any country, but
send only
a US CASH $5 bill.

The more E-mails you send out, the more cash you will receive. If each
person
sends out 100 E-mails, there will
be 1,000,000 people that receive this letter when your name reaches the
top. If
only 1% of those people
respond, you will still get $50,000 cash.

* * * * *

Here is the list:

1 - T. Nolley
10823 Club Cir.
Indianapolis, IN 46229

2 - T. Gray
P.O. Box 4764
Ontairio, CA 91761

3 -  T.  Penney
Box 5504
Clarenville, NF.
A0E 1J0

* * * * *

THERE'S NOTHING MORE TO DO. When your name reaches the top in a few
days, you
will start receiving
$5 bills from other people just like yourself, who are willing to invest
receive $10,000 cash.

If you don't try it - you will never know.

------------------------------

From: Kerry Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BJC-2100 Printer drivers for Linux
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 12:53:00 -0700

Howdy all. My wife recently got so sick and tired of Windows crashing on
her that she asked to be moved to Linux like myself. I normally connect
to an Epson printer and have no problems, but she has a Canon BJC-2100
color printer. What conifguration would she need in order to print to
it? I've tried the normal printtool options and they don't seem to work.
She's running Red Hat Linux 6.2 with all the security patches. It's a
300 MHz Pentium II with 128 megs of RAM.
Any suggestions?
Thanks. I'll try the Canon site as well.
Kerry
--

/-----------------------------\  /--------------------------\
|        Kerry J. Cox         |__|    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.comp.hardware,nf.general,can.general,nb.general,bc.general,ns.general
Subject: Re: Parents of 15 year old find $71,000 in his closet!
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:22:31 -0330

"Trevor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It Works, Its Legal, Its Easy, so Why Not?

Why not? Becuase it's cheap to burn your money... really!!!!

If you burn a five dollar bill, it only costs 5 dollars... if you respond to
this, it costs $15!

--

Chris
Remove .nospam to reply.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: who's rewriting /etc/fstab?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:59:38 -0500

Chip Piller wrote:

> I am not sure what the problem is but it could be linuxconf.  I was using
> linuxconf on my RedHat 6.2 system and had a couple of system profiles.
> Apparently linuxconf keeps an archive of configuration files for each
> profile and this could be messing you up.
> Is linuxconf running by default on your machine?  If so turn it off (as
> root, "/sbin/chkconfig linuxconf off" ) to see if your /etc/fstab still gets
> changed when you reboot.
> Hope this helps,
> Chip

[snip]

I kind-of doubt that it is linuxconf. I run that when I boot my machine
into run levels 2-5. Yet I get:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /etc/fstab
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          984 Oct 19 08:32 /etc/fstab
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

even though I rebooted about two days ago >---|

 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 2:55pm up 1 day, 21:34, 3 users, load average: 2.07, 2.08, 2.08