Linux-Misc Digest #715, Volume #27               Wed, 25 Apr 01 16:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  how to tell what app/process is accessing the net. ("daggins")
  Re: how to tell what app/process is accessing the net. (Tony Curtis)
  Re: How to change between two file edited by vim?? ("Chris Coyle")
  Re: help wih sound!!! (Jon Rook)
  Large Hard Drive (Jeff)
  boot record disaster -- help! ("Jack Kaufmann")
  Re: need help with RAID 0 setup ("Andy Walker")
  Re: how to tell what app/process is accessing the net. (Layton Welborn)
  StarOffice & Xfree 4.0.3 ("Mike Everett")
  Re: clock: how to tell date it's localtime (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: boot record disaster -- help! (Dougie Richardson)
  Re: Large Hard Drive ("Esteban")
  kernel can't load ppp or nfs  (prwb)
  Re: 10G partition, 6G ext2 file system! (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
  Re: boot record disaster -- help! ("Jack Kaufmann")
  Re: kernel can't load ppp or nfs ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: Crontab problem (Kwan Lowe)
  How to get linux to see printer? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Large Hard Drive ("joseph")
  Re: RAID question. (Lee Allen)

From: "daggins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: how to tell what app/process is accessing the net.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:06:55 +0100

What is the best way to find out if my unix box is opening a connection and
what process/application did it ?

m@

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 25 Apr 2001 13:13:18 -0500

>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:06:55 +0100,
>> "daggins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> What is the best way to find out if my unix box is
> opening a connection and what process/application did it
> ?

probably lsof:

  ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/README

hth
Just reach into these holes.  I use a carrot.

------------------------------

From: "Chris Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change between two file edited by vim??
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:16:31 -0400

"Jim Cochrane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9c6v2o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Nigel Jewell  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >hushui wrote:
> >>
> >> useing vim .
> >> How to change between two files??
> >> Since I want to copy and past between those two files .
> >> Thank you .
> >
> >Presuming you opened the files doing:
> >
> >vim filename1 filename2
> >
> >do:
> >
> >:n (for the previous)
>
> Actually, :n goes to the next file - e.g., filename2 in the above example.
>

> >and
> >
> >:p (for the next)
>
> This command, from the ex component, simply prints, on the status line,
> the line the cursor is currently on.  I believe that:
> :N
>
> goes to the previous file.

> >If you have more than two files, :rew moves you back to the start.
>
> Correct. (rewind)
>
> You can also do, from within vim:
>
> :n file1 file2 ...
>   or (for example)
> :n *.c
>
> to load a new file list, and then have the same behavior as above.
> --
> Jim Cochrane
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Besides all that next and previous stuff, when you're in vi
you can start editing any other file by using the command

:e otherfile

and you can go back by using the command

:e #

Once you've done that, you can go back and forth between two files
with the same command.

------------------------------

From: Jon Rook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help wih sound!!!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:16:07 -0400

Mike Buckley wrote:

> Does anyone know why I can't get my sound to work with my AMD K6-2 400Mhz
> motherboard?

What isn't working?
I had a problem a while ago where I could listen to CDs, but couldn't
play MP3s on a COL eDesktop 2.4 system.  I tried playing with IRQ & DMA
settings, all that stuff.  Couldn't get it to work.
I decided to try OSS.  You just have to uninstall all of your current
sound modules, and then install OSS.  Worked the first time.  Definitely
worth $20.

Jon

------------------------------

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Large Hard Drive
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:24:03 -0500

Two quick questions:

My BIOS (old Award 4.51pg) only recognizes 8.5 gigs of my new 20 gig
drive. Will Linux "see" the entire drive anyway?

What is the best way to partition this? My current partitioning scheme
with a 4 gig drive is a swap of 128M and the rest given to /. (yeah, I
know--mistake)

Since I'm going to re-install new on the 20 gig, what's the
recommended partition scheme?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: boot record disaster -- help!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:28:16 GMT

I have (had) LILO in the MBR, with linux and win98 as the options.  Today,
when I went to reboot, instead of getting the normal LILO screen I got
"Starting ONTRACK . . ." followed by a blue box identifying Seagate
Technology Inc - DiscWizard, DDO v 9.50, followed after a couple of blank
lines with the letters LI.

I booted linux with a boot disk and made sure lilo.conf was correct, showing
that I was booting from hda, then ran Lilo hoping that it would reinstall
lilo.conf in the MBR, but with no luck.  I should add that while in linux I
can access the C:drive's dos/windows files as normal, so if there is a drive
problem it's limited to the MBR.

I had done nothing out of the ordinary to have caused this disaster.  Does
anyone have any ideas as to how I can get lilo back, or some other boot
loader installed?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help with RAID 0 setup
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:25:23 -0000

John Ko wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>I have a question about using RAID.  I had a raid 0 running on three
>disks (each 40 GB EIDE) on RH7 kernel 2.4.  it was under an xfs file
>type and under /dev/md0.
>
>then i decided to add two more EIDE drives but this time 80GB each on
>a separate PCI controller.  I formatted these under xfs as well.
>
>i edited my /etc/raidtab to be such:
>raiddev /dev/md0
>        raid-level 0
>        nr-raid-disks 5
>        persistent-superblock 1
>        chunk-size 64
>        device /dev/hda6
>        raid-disk 0
>        device /dev/hdb1
>        raid-disk 1
>        device /dev/hdc1
>        raid-disk 2
>        device /dev/hde1
>        raid-disk 3
>        device /dev/hdf1
>        raid-disk 4
>
>then i ran mkraid -f /dev/md0
>it gave me a warning message about using force.
>the next command prompt came up and i wasn't sure if it had worked.
>so i ran raidstart /dev/md0 and it told me that only the three
>previous drives had become one.
>
>do you have any advice or help for me?  I would really appreciate it.
>Thank you in advance for your time.
>
>John

I'm no expert on RAID but I'm pretty sure you cannot add to RAID0 without
wiping it all and starting again. You can, however, create a second RAID0
array on the 2 new drives as /dev/md1

------------------------------

From: Layton Welborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:35:45 -0400

also you can use netstat -anp

--

------------------------------

From: "Mike Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice & Xfree 4.0.3
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:42:36 +0100

I've just upgraded to Xfree86 version 4.0.3 (to accomodate a new graphics
card) and now StarOffice causes the machine to lock-up completely - the
only solution being a reboot.  The lock-up happens on the first or second
mouse action after StarOffice starts. No other program seems to give any
problems.

I'm running RedHat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.17.

Any ideas please ?
TIA

Mike

------------------------------

Subject: Re: clock: how to tell date it's localtime
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Apr 2001 14:50:41 -0400

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >
> > Jeffrey J. Bacon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > my hardware clock is set to my localtime but the date program brings it
> >
> > That's an error. Set it to UTC.
>
> This may not be practical for a user of Microsoft products, such as
> the Windows OS that absolutely insists on your computer running local
> time, and will set it that way whether you want it so or not.

how does windows know what time it is?  it asks you.  lie.  tell
windows you live in greenwich england and don't believe in daylight
savings.  windows cannot handle time properly.  there is not much you
can do about it beyond letting windows lose.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Dougie Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: boot record disaster -- help!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:53:00 +0100

Jack Kaufmann wrote:

> I had done nothing out of the ordinary to have caused this disaster.  Does
> anyone have any ideas as to how I can get lilo back, or some other boot
> loader installed?  Thanks.

Don't know, but if it helps - LI according to the LILO docs means:

1st stage bootloader was able to load 2nd stage but couldn't execute it.
Caused either by a geometry mismatch (bad disk parameters) or by moving
/boot/boot.b without running the map installer.

Boot with a floppy and see if theres any corruptions to the disk system or
if the /boot/boot.b file has been munged.

--
Dougie Richardson      //================================
                               //

------------------------------

From: "Esteban" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Re: Large Hard Drive
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:46:36 -0400

1)
in /etc/lilo.conf , add the line:
lba32

Then run /sbin/lilo -v -v to activate the changes.

2) dunno....I never installed linux on a 20 GbHD

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: prwb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel can't load ppp or nfs
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:55:14 +0100

Hi,

Having downloaded the kernel source for 2.4.2 I went through the normal
procedure of

make config
make dep
make bzimage
make modules
make modules_install

I then copied the bzimage to my /boot directory and run /sbin/lilo to add
the new kernel in.

When I boot from my old kernel 2.2.16-22 installed as part of rh7 I can
access the internet through rp3 and I can mound my nfs shares on another
machine

However with the new kernel 2.4.2 I can't do either of these. It would
appear this is because I've either not installed or not configured some
concerning the use of modules. I enusred that in config that module support
is enbaled.

I noticed that RH have created the following files in the /boot directory
which all the kernel howto's mention nothing about, these are
vmlinux-2.2.16-22
module-info-2.2.16-22
system.map-2.2.16-22

Do I need to update these files in any way.

I've updated the these components in order to agree with the readme document
gcc 2.96.69
gnu make 3.79.1
binutils 2.10.90
util-linux 2.10m
modutils 2.4.2
e2fsprogs 1.19
ppp 2.4.0b2-2

Both isdn and pcmcia-cs are not used on this pc so I didn't check them for
version as they are compiled out of the kernel.

Any ideas on what should be checked, downloaded or upgraded would be
appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Subject: Re: 10G partition, 6G ext2 file system!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:08:25 GMT

"Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> If someone could tell me how to log all console output to a file,
>> I might be able to produce an example.
>
>man script

Thank you.
--
Svend Olaf

------------------------------

From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:08:27 GMT

Thanks for the reply.  I can check boot.b, but how do I check to see if
there are any corruptions to the disk system?

I should add that I haven't a clue what the ONTRACK stuff from Seagate is
all about, but it's not mine.  My guess is that it appear on blank disks
from Seagate, but if it's in the MBR why didn't lilo (and everything that
preceded it in the MBR) wipe it out?

news:9c76b4$agd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel can't load ppp or nfs
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:09:08 +0200

prwb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However with the new kernel 2.4.2 I can't do either of these. It would
> appear this is because I've either not installed or not configured some
> concerning the use of modules. I enusred that in config that module support

Quote the evidence that makes you believe that.

> is enbaled.

Prove it, please! Load a module, and show us that it is loaded.

> vmlinux-2.2.16-22
> module-info-2.2.16-22
> system.map-2.2.16-22

> Do I need to update these files in any way.

No. They are not of interest.

> I've updated the these components in order to agree with the readme document
> gcc 2.96.69
> gnu make 3.79.1
> binutils 2.10.90
> util-linux 2.10m
> modutils 2.4.2
> e2fsprogs 1.19
> ppp 2.4.0b2-2

> Both isdn and pcmcia-cs are not used on this pc so I didn't check them for
> version as they are compiled out of the kernel.

> Any ideas on what should be checked, downloaded or upgraded would be
> appreciated.

The fundamentals: what is the name of the driver of yoru ethernet card,
and is it loaded? And if not, what happens when you load it? (I would
guess that the name of the driver has changed, if you are using a
realtek card).

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:26:00 GMT

"Brian V. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9c70d3$13p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9c3g1q$afs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> |> Wires, yes. Sondering? no. They crimp the wires with their fingers (any
> |> weenie can crimp using teeth).
>
> Wires!  We dreeaamed of having wires!  We had to wet our skin and make
connections
> with our fingers!

Which was especially fun since our only source of electrical power was
lightning. :)

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crontab problem
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:36:48 GMT

David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rick Lim wrote:

[snip]
>> to     STATIC_IP=`ifconfig eth0`

You're assigning the output from the command "ifconfig eth0" to STATIC_IP. If
you ran ifconfig eth0 on the command line you'd see that output is much more
than the IP address. E.g.

>> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx inet addr:xx.xx.xx.xx
>> Bcast:xx.xx.xx.xx Mask:255.255.252.0 UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING
>> MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:788 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>> TX packets:264 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0
>> txqueuelen:100 Interrupt:5 Base address:0x300
>>
>> anyone got any ideas
>> 1) why ???

See above...

>> 2) how to fix ???
You'll need to search for the inet addr in your "ifconfig eth0" output. In the
example that someone else has thoughtfully provided, it uses a "regular
expression" and the awk program to find the address.

Try this:
> ifconfig eth0 |grep "inet addr:"

You'll get a line containing:
          inet addr:x.x.x.x Bcast:y.y.y.y Mask:255.255.254.0

where x.x.x.x is your IP address for eth0.
Still not quite home yet. Now you'll need to figure out how to grab the x.x.x.x
without the rest of the line. In the script, awk is used. Broken down it says:
 -F:  means use the : as the field separator
 {'print $2'} means print the second field of the input line

If you try this on the command line you'd get:
x.x.x.x Bcast

Still not what you wanted? So he pipes the output through the cut utility. It
breaks down to using a space as the delimiter and printing the first field.
Which leaves:
x.x.x.x

>> TIA

> If your trying to find the IP then maybe this?

> STATIC_IP=`ifconfig $EXTDEV | grep "inet addr:" | \
>                awk -F: {'print $2'} | cut -d\  -f 1`

You're too kind -- I was about to write that the script works exactly as
programmed :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to get linux to see printer?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:38:21 +0000 (UTC)

        I have RH6.1 with the 2.2.12 kernel on a 233mmx box, dual boot with
win95.  I've just hooked up a Desk Jet 500 printer, printtool has this model
listed (this is one of HP's oldest inkjet printers), but cannot autodetect
the printer.  Since it doesn't see the printer (it's on the first
printer port, lp0), trying test print direct to the port from
printtool returns an error "no such device".  Booting into win95 and setting
up the printer there and making a test print shows the printer and
connection are OK.

        What do I need to do to get linux to see the printer?

John Meshkoff    johnm at sivakalpa dot org
remove 'johnpipe' in 'From:' to reply
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/
"I do not know that I know the self fully,
neither do I know that I know him not"
                ...from the Upanishads

------------------------------

From: "joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:43:20 -0400

just make sure the /boot partition ( the whole of it ) is visible from the
bios ( within the first 8 gigs ) .
once the kernel boots, you will be fine.
I'm running a 27gig hdd, and only the /boot ( with the kernel , boot loader
etc ) is within the 8 gig boundary.
/, /usr, swap etc are all beyond the 8 gig area
Got win98, 2k, and 2.2.17 kernel.Am using the boot loader from rh 6.0 with
the 1024 cylinder limit .
later.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: RAID question.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:47:23 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:45:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen) wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:03:42 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>You are an idiot.  I was about to post benchmarks from a raid0 pair of
>>two identical scsi disks, one BM from a raid0 partition across both disks,
>>and one from one of the disks alone, but I don't think I will!  You
>>clearly don't merit the effort.
>
>And YOU still don't get MY point.
>
>Given a hardware configuration with 2 disks, and a question of how to
>configure them for best performance, with no desire for redundancy --
>this IS the situation and stated desires in the original post.
>
>Best possible performance would be achieved by configuring the 2 disks
>independently, allocating filesystems on the 2 disks so as to balance
>the load.
>
>RAID would achieve redundancy -- protection against loss of data, and
>ability to keep running in the event of a single drive failure.  It
>would NOT improve performance... GIVEN the same number of disks.
>
>-Lee Allen "not an idiot"

I was referring to the forms of RAID which provide redundancy.  They
all do so at some cost in performance, relative to using the same
number of disks in a non-RAID configuration.

You are referring to the forms of RAID that combine disk drives to
increase the usable size of a filesystem.  While technically these are
RAID configurations, they are not what most people mean when they
discuss RAID, which is 'REDUNDANT Array of Inexpensive/Independent
Disks'.

You seem to be intentionally focussing on the atypical RAID
implementations in order to justify insults.

-Lee Allen