Linux-Misc Digest #906, Volume #26               Wed, 24 Jan 01 10:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Best way to replicate Linux partition? (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux? (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: Question about tarballs (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: Memory lost (Marc Sobol)
  Re: /etc/resolv.conf being overwritten with Red Hat Linux 6.2.3 (David)
  Re: max-files?? (David)
  Problems with mounting of cdrom (Mat)
  Re: Booting with no console ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: cdrecord unknown SCSI error while fixating disk (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Somebody create a How-To on upgrading to Kernel 2.4, please ! (James Silverton)
  Re: Booting with no console (Allen Wong)
  Re: Problems with mounting of cdrom (jabba)
  Re: Partition overlapped (Eric)
  XScreesaver of RH7.0 ("Scott Zhang")
  Re: Booting with no console (Martin Gregorie)
  Re: Booting with no console ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: /etc/resolv.conf being overwritten with Red Hat Linux 6.2.3 (Eric)
  Re: Strange problem: su: error while loading shared libraries: libxalflaunch.so.0
("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Strange problem: su: error while loading shared libraries: libxalflaunch.so.0
("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Somebody create a How-To on upgrading to Kernel 2.4, please ! (John Hasler)
  Re: Is Debian RPM compatible ? (James Vahn)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Subject: Re: Best way to replicate Linux partition?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:03:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric wrote:
>> 1. Wouldn't it be a good idea to umount everything but the hard drive
>> being copied (assuming a one-drive install), to avoid unwanted copying of
>> mounted partitions?
>
>No need to unmount them.
>There's a switch with cp (-x), forcing it never to copy multiple
>partitions/discs.
>It depends on the situation if it's unwanted to copy those mounted
>partitions.

Thanks. I had overlooked the -x option.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:05:26 GMT

In article <TTvb6.107$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Luminary wrote:

>I missed the original post so can't see the list of requirements, but I
>use Pine because it is quick, efficient and highly configurable. Pine is
>a console based agent but there is an X-based frontend. The X based
>frontend does not require Gnome or KDE but you have to patch the Pine
>source code and recompile to make it work (this is due to licensing
>issues).

I've tried a number of mua's, but I keep coming back to pine.  In X, I
just run it in an xterm.  Works fine.
--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Subject: Re: Question about tarballs
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:06:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, elmig wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott) wrote in
><3a6e92fe$0$30005$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>I've got a question about tarballs. basically how do you go about
>>creating one and extracting one. I'm new so be gentle please. :-) Well,
>>new to Linux at least, not to computers.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Scott
>>

>That's easy, type:
>
>man tar

My Debian potato install also has 'info tar', which includes a tutorial.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Marc Sobol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory lost
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:27:28 +0100

Manuel Cano wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Linux system with 256 RAM Mb, but Linux shows and uses 64Mb
> only.
> It worked util two days ago. I removed a SCSI disk and tape and
> reformatted the system partition / but not /home.
> BIOS at boot shows the correct value, 256, and it does the count (long
> count).
>
> Someone have a clue?
>
> --
> Manuel Cano Muņoz______________________Linux user 178001
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.homepages.lu/manuel

try this :
edit lilo.conf with :
append="mem=256M"
then
$ lilo (with the new config)
and reboot.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /etc/resolv.conf being overwritten with Red Hat Linux 6.2.3
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:29:49 GMT

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> David wrote:
> >

> > I had the same problem on a redhat system and fixed it with the
> > following.
> >
> > Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 and just below the
> > "PAPNAME=" line add the "PEERDNS=" below.
> >
> > PAPNAME=
> > PEERDNS=no
>
> That seems to have done it. I had looked at the ifup-post file that is
> making the trouble, and it seemed to me that changing the ifcfg-ppp0
> file to include either PEERDNS=no or RESOLV_MODS=no would do it. I
> picked RESOLV_MODS=no and that did not work for reasons unknown. Is the
> position in the file important? I stuck it at the end. I put the
> PEERDNS=no right after PAPNAME= , as you suggested.

I'm not real sure if the positioning makes a lot of difference though
after sending the PAPNAME the DNS would be soon to follow. That is why I
placed it there.

> The file ifup-post is the one that is making the trouble, and the very
> code that is doing it has been added to it since the R.H.L.6.0 release.
> It looks like a nice favor for the newbies who do not know how to setup
> their nameserver. Or for those that do not even run one. But they should
> have had something about it in the release notes, or in the linuxconfig
> screen that they use to set up things. To have this silent change that
> cripples a machine. Frankly, I think the code in there is poorly done.
> They should not require a positive action on the part of the user to
> turn off an undocumented new feature. It should stay off and require a
> PEERDNS=yes in there to turn it on. Or their linuxconf system should put
> the PEERDNS=no in there by default and ask if you want it on. And it
> should say what the implications of this are.
> >
> > Then edit the /etc/resolv.conf file back to the way you want it and then
> > run "chattr +i" command on it.
> >
> >   chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> How do I know that this, alone, did not fix it. It seems to me that this
> should be unnecessary, but a nice safeguard. How does it work (in
> general terms)? If I do an ls -l, it does not show anything out of the
> ordinary, but the man page implies that I cannot do an rm on it and have
> it work. I see that it does work.

The PEERDNS= line should have fixed it but adding "chattr +i" to it
makes it so that it can't be changed without being root and doing a
"chattr -i" to turn chattr off.

Best of luck.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.016% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: max-files??
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:32:47 GMT

Eric wrote:

> Don't multipost!
>
> Eric

I agree there are to many multi posts when a cross post would be much
easier for everyone.

From: Mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with mounting of cdrom
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:36:27 +0100

Hi,

suddenly problem like follows appeared on my PC:

mount /mnt/cdrom:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom, or too
many mounted file systems

I am not able what were the changes in my system (RedHat 5.0)
since I last managed to mount cdrom

fstab looks following:

/dev/hda3    /                    ext2      defaults                   1
1
/dev/hda2    none              swap    defaults                   0 0

/dev/hdc1    /home            ext2      defaults                  1 2

/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy     msdos   owner,noauto        0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom     iso9660 owner,noauto,ro   0 0

none           /proc              proc    defaults                   0 0

none           /dev/pts          devpts  gid=5,mode=620   0 0

Same disc can be read by other cd-rom devices.

What can I do?

Thanks a lot in advance for any clues...

Maciek

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Booting with no console
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:30:19 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Seems odd to say the OS doesn't care though, when it's throwing out
>>> what can only be described as error messages....

>> What? There should be none. Show some, please! You must be
>> misinterpreting what you are seeing.

> keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
> keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
> hda: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive

> How could I misinterpret this?

Those are advisories, not errors. Keyboardless machines are very common.

But what is your kernel?  Those are not standard kernel messages.  I've
just grepped the entire 2.2.18 source tree and not located "AT keyboard"!

They seem to come from something tagging itself "keyboard". The only
possibility for that is related to "keyboard.h".

     #define kbd_request_irq(handler) request_irq(KEYBOARD_IRQ, handler, 0, \
                   "keyboard", NULL)

Can't see anything else.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: cdrecord unknown SCSI error while fixating disk
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:48:27 GMT

I have a Mitsumi CR4802TE on my 2.0.38 kernel system, and I get the
same error. It seems benign; I have not found any problems reading
disks (audio or data) created with this error.

I believe that the error is a benign byproduct of the way the CR4802TE
performs fixating. The error seems to occur only when
a) the 'fixating' commands have been sent to the CDRW device, and
b) the CDRW device is busy burning the 'fixating' values
   (the red 'write' light is on).
My guess is that the drive returns an immediate 'done' reply to the
SCSI 'fixating' command, then proceeds to fixate the disk. While this
is in progress, the disk cannot be read (of course), but cdrecord
(having received the 'done' reply) attempts to read the TOC anyway.
The drive responds with a 'logical unit not ready, operation in
progress' reply to indicate that the 'fixating' command is still in
progress. This continues until the red 'writing' light extinguishes.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Somebody create a How-To on upgrading to Kernel 2.4, please !
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:05:01 -0500

Arctic Storm wrote:

> I've searched far and wide, but no avail.
> No one has created a web page with detailed, step-by-step instructions
> on upgrading the kernel to 2.4.  There are a few tips here and there on
> upgrading the kernel in general, but nothing specific for 2.4.  I'm
> talking about the proverbial "Idiot's Guide to Linux Kernel 2.4
> Upgrade."  If you have a decent background in Linux and computer
> programming, then it's easy for you, but what about for the rest of us?
>   Wait for a distribution to feed us the Kernel?!  I would like to see
> the prevalence of Linux extend into the mass public; non-computer
> professionals.  I'm sure the Linux community would much appreciate your
> efforts if you donated time to create a web page with
> easy-to-understand, detailed, step-by-step, guide in upgrading to Kernel
> 2.4.
> -

May I second this suggestion. One of the things that encouraged me to
persist with Linux was a very good article on this subject in the Linux
Journal. I am talking about kernel 1. whatever of course!

Jim.
--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Wong)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:23:46 GMT

In alt.os.linux.slackware Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> What? There should be none. Show some, please! You must be
>>> misinterpreting what you are seeing.

>> keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
>> keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
>> hda: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive

>> How could I misinterpret this?

> Those are advisories, not errors. Keyboardless machines are very common.

Okay, maybe I wa a little liberal in my interpretation of "errors".  But I've
also gotten advisories similar to the original poster of this thread:

cmd640: drive1 timings/prefetch(on) preserved
keyboard: Too many NACKs -- noisy kbd cable?
keyboard: Too many NACKs -- noisy kbd cable?
hda: ST51080A, ATA DISK drive

> But what is your kernel?  Those are not standard kernel messages.  I've
> just grepped the entire 2.2.18 source tree and not located "AT keyboard"!

Antface:~$ uname -a
Linux Antface 2.2.17 #1 Sat Nov 18 10:33:37 PST 2000 i586 unknown

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.
  6:00am  up 3 days, 10:58,  5 users,  load average: 1.99, 1.97, 1.99

------------------------------

From: jabba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with mounting of cdrom
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:06:20 +0300

Is the /dev/cdrom is right symlink?

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Partition overlapped
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:27:30 +0100

> >> Not really. I just don't get it how people keep creating logicals
> >like this.
> >
> >Well, not "people" create these tables, it's poorly written utility
>
> not even that:  it is utility software.  according to the specs, a hard
> drive can have up to (exactly?) 4 primary partitions.  secondary partitions
> are contained in a primary partition.  check hda4:  it says it is an extended
> partition (thats the primary partition that seves as a container for the

I was not referring to overlapping partitions, but to the wrong ordering
of partitions.
hda5 and hda6 are swapped.

I know *how* it can be done, but I can't understand *why*

> secondaries, and both hda5 and hda6 are contained in it:  no overlap
>
> >software; I was able to create overlapping partitions simply by
> >creating a primary and secondary partitions using Partition Magic
> >(which is one of the best-known partitioning utility), and then a linux
> >distro setup created inside the extended 2 linux ext2 and 1 linux swap
> >partition. This rather simple scenario was sufficient to create such a
> >table.

Definately not true.
Unless you delete something first, you won't get a table like this.
(And btw. there's no overlap here)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Scott Zhang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XScreesaver of RH7.0
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:18:23 +0800

Hi, everyone, I installed Redhat7.0, after logging in GNOME as "root" for
the first time, I encounter problem when deal with the XScreesaver: it
doesn't work---"The XScreenSaver daemon doesn't seems to running on display
':0.0'.Launch it now?"I press "YES", but now reaction! When I log in as a
common user, XScreensaver works well.
In KDE, I have the same problem. What wrong with it?
Any information is welcome!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:29:54 GMT

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 06:52:24 -0600, Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Some old BIOS won't let you boot a PC without a keyboard.
>
>But they generally displayed the extremely useful message:
>
>"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue."

Yes, indeed. The most useless message in the universe, because if you
did plug the keyboard in the BIOS still didn't recognise it until
you'd powered off and on again.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:15:55 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:

>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:44:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Wong)
>> wrote:

>> >keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
>> >keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
>> >hda: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive
>> >

>> Some old BIOS won't let you boot a PC without a keyboard.

> But they generally displayed the extremely useful message:

> "Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue."

And you can disable the test in the bios. One generally should anyway.
You KNOW if your keyboard is not present.

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:36:16 +0100

> > Then edit the /etc/resolv.conf file back to the way you want it and then
> > run "chattr +i" command on it.
> >
> >   chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> How do I know that this, alone, did not fix it. It seems to me that this
> should be unnecessary, but a nice safeguard. How does it work (in
> general terms)? If I do an ls -l, it does not show anything out of the
> ordinary, but the man page implies that I cannot do an rm on it and have
> it work. I see that it does work.

lsattr will show it though

> Anyway, thanks for your help. Can you imagine if this were Windows? I
> would not have been able to fix it because it would be compiled in
> somewhere and no source. I would have to wait a year and pay another $90
> (or whatever they charge these days) to get a new version with this
> fixed (perhaps) and a host of new bugs added.

I'm not sure if this is the case in your system, but here, pump is
overwriting /etc/resolv.conf
Setting up the correct pump.conf would have prevented it to do so.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange problem: su: error while loading shared libraries:
libxalflaunch.so.0
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:20:23 +0100

Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > su: error while loading shared libraries: libxalflaunch.so.0: cannot
> Actually I don't know the detail but the problem I face now is I can't run su
> and man, and I also discover that the problem is only occur at my X session.

> I can find the file libxalflaunch.so.0 at /usr/lib/ so I think that the
> problem is libxalflaunch.so.0 can't load some other library, any idea?

Don't think. Test! Existence is not enough. It has to be intact. Run su
and prove it.

(the other possibility is a LD_LIBRARY_PATH override in X, but face
that later)

> Besides, as I want to install the rpm of mozilla, I need to install glibc
> 2.2.1, but when I install the rpm of glibc 2.2.1, it have confilct with glibc
> 2.1.3 which many package depend on it. Thus I use rpm -i --force to install
> glibc 2.2.1, will this cause problem?

Yes. You can have utilities which rely on something that was wrong in 2.1.1
and mended in 2.1.3, or vice versa, so don't do that unless you are
prepared to deal with it.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
libxalflaunch.so.0
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:21:57 +0100

Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Actually I don't know the detail but the problem I face now is I can't run su
>> and man, and I also discover that the problem is only occur at my X session.
>>
>> I can find the file libxalflaunch.so.0 at /usr/lib/ so I think that the
>> problem is libxalflaunch.so.0 can't load some other library, any idea?

> A new find out, I only can't run these at gnome-terminal, they are ok at
> xterm or kterm

Then check LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_PRELOAD. Is su linked to that library
or not? It begins to sound vaguely like a pam problem. Where does your
libxflaunch or whatever come from? Whichpackage?

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:30:46 GMT

Arctic Storm writes:
> No one has created a web page with detailed, step-by-step instructions on
> upgrading the kernel to 2.4.  There are a few tips here and there on
> upgrading the kernel in general, but nothing specific for 2.4.

Why does it have to be on a Web page?  What's wrong with the README and
Documentation/Changes files in the source?  If you have Debian you can use
kernel-package and make it even simpler.

> There are a few tips here and there on upgrading the kernel in general,
> but nothing specific for 2.4.  I'm talking about the proverbial "Idiot's
> Guide to Linux Kernel 2.4 Upgrade."

Why do idiots need to upgrade to 2.4 now?

> If you have a decent background in Linux and computer programming, then
> it's easy for you, but what about for the rest of us?

Why do the rest of you need 2.4 now?

> I'm sure the Linux community would much appreciate your efforts if you
> donated time to create a web page with easy-to-understand, detailed,
> step-by-step, guide in upgrading to Kernel 2.4.

Here is a complete set of easy-to-understand instructions:

        Hire an expert to do it for you.

I'm available, but you probably don't want to pay travel expenses from
Elmwood.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James Vahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Debian RPM compatible ?
Date: 24 Jan 2001 13:56:34 GMT

John Hasler wrote:
> JV> There are too many parallels between them to be coincidence or chance
> JV> though.
>
> Why?  There is nothing remarkable about different programmers arriving at
> similar solutions to the same problem.

I recall complaints directed towards RedHat over it at the time: dpkg
being GPL'd, it made no sense to start something new. For quite a while
I thought rpm was a whole different breed of cat, until I looked at it
one day and saw how similar it was to dpkg. Spooky.