Linux-Misc Digest #906, Volume #18                Fri, 5 Feb 99 01:13:12 EST

Contents:
  Re: Sendmail Problem (Hugues Demers)
  Re: Quicken-Like App? (Jerry Lynn Kreps)
  Re: more kernel 2.2.1 errors (Jan Oberlaender)
  Re: No luck with 2.2.x kernel on RH 5.2! ("Greg Waugh")
  Re: IDE ZIP DRIVE mounting? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Environment variables and C (Robert Heller)
  configuring modules -> kernel 2.2.1 ("Oo.et.oO")
  how to learn linux? ("±èżº")
  Re: Opinions about LyX? (Sam Vere)
  Re: Bunch of pretentious Wankers (mlw)
  Job on http://www.usluga.ru ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ("Jim Ross")
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ("Jim Ross")
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ("Jim Ross")
  Re: Quicken-Like App? ("Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.")
  Re: Is Microsoft a nasty company ? I'm asking you this question.
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Taskbar obscures full-screen xterm. ("Karsten M. Self")
  Re: Quicken-Like App? ("Karsten M. Self")
  Re: use theramin as input device (Rik van Riel)
  Re: Linux Newbie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Hugues Demers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sendmail Problem
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 00:36:34 +0000

Stefan Davids wrote:

> Sendmail doesn't appear to be aware of your domain name. If you don't
> have one you should use masquerading to set the outgoing envelope to
> your email address. I presume you have the same username as the
> username part of your email address?

No, my account username on my linux machine is hugues and my username on
my ISP is vlwcuqgf (don't ask why... I don't understand either) but my
email is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> If so, and your email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED], you should add
> the following to your sendmail m4 file and rebuild sendmail.cf
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`your.isp.com')
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')

Will that work even if my usersnames are differents ? If not how can I
fix it so it works ?

Thanks
Hugues

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quicken-Like App?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 22:17:54 -0600

Ian Briggs wrote:

> Actually that should be http://www.gnucash.org, shouldn't it?
>
> -- Ian --

Right.  Until they get out of beta though, a simple little (nearly)
work-alike check register program (with splits, reports, reconciliation)
is cbb (check book balancer), which will tide you  over till GNU-Cash is
a reality.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Oberlaender)
Subject: Re: more kernel 2.2.1 errors
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 22:55:59 +0100

Hi,

to contribute to this section, here's the errors I got (RH42):

pppd wasn't working even after I updated it to the 2.2.1-compatible
version (pppd-2.2.0g)
modprobe had errors during bootup such as 'can't locate filehandle' or
something like that.

--

+-------------------------------------+
| Jan Oberländer                      |

------------------------------

From: "Greg Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: No luck with 2.2.x kernel on RH 5.2!
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:25:16 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...
>In comp.os.linux.misc Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Done it all... in exactly that order.  This is the only other error I get
on
>> boot.
>> Feb  3 21:45:24 bert kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
>> Feb  3 21:45:24 bert kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.
>
>This isn't so important, it just means that if your system crashes inside
>module code it won't be able to translate addresses to symbols in the
system
>log entry.

I've fixed that one, I upgraded from sysklogd 1.3-3 to 1.3-31 and that went
away (thanks to Nick Allan!)  :)

>> The network claims it's there, but I can't ping anything.  Modules that
I've

>How about posting the output of ifconfig, along with what you think it
>should be doing.

Here's the latest update.  Everything seems to be working, but no network.
I cannot add IP aliases or it gives me the following error "No kernel
support for devices aliasing".  Now granted that's using RH linuxconf to add
the aliases, so maybe the syntax is wrong... but that's not my main
problem... no network.  I have to boot in 2.0.36 and disable sendmail, httpd
and smbd from loading or else they will hang on boot.  I cannot ping
anything on the local network and here's ifconfig:  BTW: the NIC is a 3Com
3c509B.  It's detected correctly on bootup too....

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:26:FC:12:3E
          inet addr:10.0.0.9  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          collisions:37

Notice there's never any packets received.  But it's not a hardware problem
since as soon as I reboot in 2.0.36 everything works.  I'm using all RedHat
5.2 distribution rc.d scripts, so if there's something that needs to be
changed in there that I don't know about I may not have done it.  I notice
that RH 2.0.36 kernel uses 3c509.c v1.16 whereas 2.2.1 comes with v1.14.  I
tried copying the 3c509.c into the 2.2.1 drives/net directory but got this
error when trying to compile:

3c509.c:510: macro `dev_kfree_skb' used with too many (2) args
3c509.c: In function `el3_start_xmit':
3c509.c:467: warning: long int format, int arg (arg 3)
3c509.c:489: void value not ignored as it ought to be
make[3]: *** [3c509.o] Error 1

But I'm assuming that this is not a good use of my time and probably won't
help.  I do have both IP aliasing compiled in the kernel and yes they have
the correct booleans in them.

# grep ALIAS .config
CONFIG_NET_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y

To paraphrase Thomas Edison, "I am much smarter than I was yesterday for I
now know over 20 ways to build a 2.2.x kernel that does not work on my box."
It's been educational, but I'm really getting ready to want to run.

I've upgraded to net-tools 1.50, modutils 2.1.121, sysklogd-1.3-31,
ipchains-rhcn-1.3.8-2, util-linux-rhcn-2.9h and everything else I can think
of... I really hope whatever's left is a silly thing...  please help me!!!

Greg Waugh ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IDE ZIP DRIVE mounting?
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:43:17 GMT

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 19:45:54 -0500, "Robert A. Trifiletti, Jr."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>anyone know how to mount an internal IDE/ATAPI Zip Drive/Disk?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Bob
>
>--
>/*************************************************/
>Robert A. Trifiletti, Jr.
>Penn State University
>College of Engineering - Computer Science
>AOL IM: Trif018                ICQ UIN: 5377504
>Red Hat Linux 5.2...Beware of the Penguin
>/*************************************************/

First, make sure it is recognized during the boot process.  Mine
worked OK except it wouldn't see it if I was using System Commander.
I finally woumd up swapping master boot records manually.
If it shows up on the boot, note where it is (hd4b or whatever)
then (as root):

        mount -t msdos /dev/hd4d /mnt/zip

The directory /mnt/zip must be created before mounting.
This works for me (as I recall)

Larry Shannon

Subject: Re: Environment variables and C
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Heller)
Date: 4 Feb 1999 16:00:32 -0500

  Greg Cannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:33:36 +1100, wrote :

GC> People,
GC>
GC> I'm writing a Linux application that needs to find certain files
GC> in its install directory.  I've noticed that many programs (e.g.
GC> Netscape) solve this problem by using an environment variable.
GC>
GC> Great.  So how do I access an environment variable from within C?
GC> I have a feeling there's some scheme similar to the argc/argv
GC> method of passing command line parameters, but I don't know the
GC> details.  Can some kind person point me in the right direction?
GC> Does it differ depending on your shell? (please say no)

#include <stdlib.h>

  char *foo = getenv("FOO");    /* fetch the value of environment
                                   variable FOO */
  if (foo == NULL) {
    /* User did not set FOO.  Opps. Use some default value. */
    foo = "/usr/local/foo";
  }

And no, it matters not what your shell it.

Check out 'man getenv' for more complete info.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Oo.et.oO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: configuring modules -> kernel 2.2.1
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:40:50 +0000

hello-
        so does anyone know where I can get more info on modules in the new
kernels.  I know we use kmod now instead of kerneld.  does this mean
that I can take the kerneld exec out if my init scripts???
also where do I get info on configuring specific modules.  I found some
on the parallel port in /Documentation/parport.txt
I need more, I also need some on the serial ports specifically, and the
sound modules.  I need my modem on IRQ 5.  before I just put setserial
/dev/ttyS2 irq 5 in my rc.serial script. but now every time the module
reloads it wipes out my irq and replaces it with 4.
also why does /proc/modules say that lp and the parport module are
always loaded?
no matter when I read it it says:
ppp                    18432   2 (autoclean)
slhc                    4224   1 (autoclean) [ppp]
lp                      4312   0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport                 7120   0 (autoclean) [lp]
serial                 17660   1 (autoclean)

well except for that ppp and serial stuff.

I can rmmod them.  but when I reboot they come back.
okay and one last thing:
I am running redhat 5.1/5.2 (sort of)
can I take the kerneld stuff out of my init scripts?
it also says (at boot) that it can't read the modules.dep file.  is this
bad?  I am assuming it is and it is why my modules are sort of screwed
up.
                thanks for any info-
                        eric

------------------------------

From: "±èżº" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to learn linux?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:25:04 +0900

I and my friends have plan to study about Linux.
We are going to analysis code of kernel.
Could you recommend good book to study?
could you tell me where i can find good source?
I am really new to linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Vere)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Opinions about LyX?
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 05:06:57 GMT

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:53:47 +0000, Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On 4 Feb 1999, QM wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'll need to write my thesis (subject is a math/engineering one) soon and
>> I was thinking about using LyX, instead of latex directly. Can anyone offer
>> any opinions about LyX, as I don't want to get my fingers burnt at a stage
>> late into my thesis. Thanks very much.
>
>LyX is an incredibly easy way to harness the immense power of LaTeX which
>is probably the best solution for this requirement.
>
>Grab hold of LyX 1.0 which is now available and is *very* nice. You should
>probably also subscribe to the tex newsgroup - I forget exactly what the
>ng name is but it is the only one so you should find it easy to locate.

Out of interest, what is the best way to learn Tex/latex?

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever...

>Jason Clifford
>Definite Linux Systems
>http://definite.ukpost.com/

<-------------------REMOVE SPAMTO TO DIRECT REPLY------------------->
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | THERE IS NO TERIYAKI, ONLY ZUUL!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          | - Akane's cooking,

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bunch of pretentious Wankers
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 01:08:33 +0000

Jerry Lynn Kreps wrote:

> mlw wrote:
>
> > I actually like Bill Clinton. Big deal, he got caught getting a blow
> > job? Show me a man that has never lied about sex, and I'll show you a
> > man that has never had any.
>
> Show me a man who has been caught lying in court, under oath, and I'll
> show you someone who is going to jail for perjury - unless his name is
> Bill Clinton, the media darling.
> Remember, he's destroying justice and the constitution "for the
> children" so that excuses it.

Many a person has lied in court. Many have even been caught. Many are
not in jail. It does not matter, what he did almost every president has
done.

As for any other issue, yes find him guilty of other things, not this,
it is a joke. I do not want to lose a president over sex.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.sex,comp.databases.ms-access,comp.databases.oracle.marketplace,comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Job on http://www.usluga.ru
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 07:55:46 +0300

Job on http://www.usluga.ru

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:17:26 -0500

Michael Powe wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>    Jim> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
>    Jim> <799v94$ldo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>
>    >> I'm not going to get to crazy on this, but yes you are right
>    >> "Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class", it far out performs
>    >> Windows on every level and should not even be used in the same
>    >> sentence.
>
>    Jim> You forgot to say "just kidding."  Linux device support is
>    Jim> not in Windows 9X's class.  Nor is apps support for X.  Not
>    Jim> specifically a "Linux problem", but nonetheless not yet in
>    Jim> Windows class.  Ease of use, nope.  Linux is not yet
>    Jim> spoonfeeding as is Windows.  Being powerful is ok, but just
>    Jim> as important to most is ease of use.  I can appreciate choice
>    Jim> and a good GUI and GUI apps help me there.  PPP works in
>    Jim> Windows, in Linux for me it does not.  Maybe I could do even
>    Jim> more to fix it, but the need is why Linux is not ready.  I do
>    Jim> not want to have to troubleshoot it.  I shouldn't have to.
>
>Well, it's a fact that the majority of Windows users cannot configure
>their systems by themselves.
>
>While you may be experienced in installing Windows, setting up
>hardware and drivers, and configuring Windows applications; the fact
>is, that you only find Windows `easy to use' because you are familiar
>with it.  If you would do a little recollection, I'm sure you would
>realize that it was not always so.

Ya.  It would have been very interesting if I would have started with Unix
instead of Dos.  I don't know about going to from Unix to Dos based systems,
but going from Windows to Linux is ruff.
I'm still shaken up by hda & hdb.
Jim

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:18:27 -0500

Nick Coleman wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Jim Ross wrote:
>[snip]
>>   PPP works in Windows, in Linux for me it does not.  Maybe I
>> could do even more to fix it, but the need is why Linux is not ready.  I
do
>> not want to have to troubleshoot it.  I shouldn't have to.
>> Jim
>
>You know, I shake my head in amazement every time I read about PPP
>problems in Linux.  I used kppp after I installed KDE (but you don't
>need to have KDE to use kppp) and it installed new ISP accounts, up and
>running, in, maybe, five minutes? Maybe three?  Even easier than Dial-Up
>Networking in Win95, because the scripting tool is easier to use.
>
>Just use kppp.  It's that simple.
>
>Cheers

I do and it just doesn't work.  Sounds like the luck of the draw.  NT PPP
works fine.  I use the same settings.
Jim

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:20:34 -0500

Colin Day wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Jim Ross wrote:
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <799v94$ldo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> >I'm not going to get to crazy on this, but yes you are right "Linux is
not
>> >even in Windows 9X's class", it far out performs Windows on every level
and
>> >should not even be used in the same sentence.
>>
>> You forgot to say "just kidding."  Linux device support is not in Windows
>> 9X's class.  Nor is apps support for X.  Not specifically a "Linux
problem",
>> but nonetheless not yet in Windows class.  Ease of use, nope.  Linux is
not
>> yet spoonfeeding as is Windows.  Being powerful is ok, but just as
important
>> to most is ease of use.  I can appreciate choice and a good GUI and GUI
apps
>> help me there.  PPP works in Windows, in Linux for me it does not.  Maybe
>> could do even more to fix it, but the need is why Linux is not ready.  I
do
>> not want to have to troubleshoot it.  I shouldn't have to.
>> Jim
>
>OK PPP was easier for me to set up in Windows 95 than in Linux. Of course,
>I had four or five ISP's include their setup programs on Windows 95, so
it's
>not the fairest comparison. Did you have to type in scripts for PPP in
>Windows, or were the programs included?
>
>Colin Day        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I just use the terminal to input host, username, and password.
I try to use the terminal with KPPP and I do even get the initial text about
Acceptable Use Policy from my ISP.  So maybe I don't necessarily have a
"PPP" problem.  It's strange.
Jim

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:12:43 -0600

Ian Briggs wrote:

> Actually that should be http://www.gnucash.org, shouldn't it?
>
> -- Ian --

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

I could be in Linux (instead of Windows) 24x7 if I could replace
Quicken.

--
Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is Microsoft a nasty company ? I'm asking you this question.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 05:18:27 GMT

> ----------
> In article <777eej$cor$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nunya Dadburn Bidness"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Matthieu Hattab wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >>Hello to everyone who reads that post.
> >>
> >>I recently have a serious discussion with a friend about the Microsoft
> >>phenomena.
> >>I have been pretty much against Microsoft for years (I'm 26) and doubts
> >>begin to show up. Is really Microsoft a bad company. A lot of people
> >>tell a lot of thing about Microsoft unfair way of doing business.
> >>BUT HAS MICROSOFT EVER BEEN CONVINCTED OF ILLEGAL ACTIONS ?
> >>Maybe most of people are jealous because Microsoft is the most
> >>successful corporation in the world.
> >>I read lot of your posts, but most of them demonstrate a hostility but
> >>do not prove that microsoft acts illegally.
> >>
> >>I look forward to your comments.
> >>
> >>Matthieu Hattab

Microsoft lost a case to the Justice Department a few years ago. Among their
illegal practices was signing licenses with companies that required them to
pay Microsoft money on how many computers they sold, rather than how many
computers they sold that had Microsoft software on them. Unfortunately,
although it convicted Microsoft, the Justice Deparment, led by Anne Bingamen
(sp?), decided not to punish Microsoft. They actually joined with Microsoft
in arguing in front of a judge (who rejected the entire settlement as being
nothing more than slap on the wrist) that there actually was some punishment.
It was a slap on the wrist, the only "punishment" I remember is that they had
to cease and desist the licensing practice of charging for their software
even when a computer shipped didn't contain it. But by then, OS/2 was no
longer a challenge, if it ever had been, and the issue was moot. The judge
who resisted the settlement for lack of punishment (and who made excellent
points regarding the complete lack of any significant punishment) was
eventually removed, and some other judge gave it a rubber stamp of approval.
Apparently Microsoft came in and greased enough palms in the justice system
and the Justice Department. As I am sure they are doing now (in addition to
Gates playing golf with Clinton).

From: "Karsten M. Self" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Taskbar obscures full-screen xterm.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:42:02 -0800

Charles Sullivan wrote:

> How can I set up an xterm (in fvwm2) so that when I click on the
> full-screen button, the lower part of the xterm window is not obscured
> by the taskbar, i.e., the bottom of the xterm window will be at the top
> of the taskbar.  (Otherwise the xterm's command line is obscured.)
>
> I'd like to keep the taskbar, but also continue to use the button to
> toggle between full-screen and as-created size.

I believe you can specify maximum geometry of applications.  You'd want
to set your xterm X resources to position it at the top of your screen,
but fall a number of pixels short of the bottom to allow the task bar to
be visible.

--
Karsten M. Self ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

    Welchen Teil von "Gestalt" verstehen Sie nicht?

web:       http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
SAS/Linux: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/SAS/SAS4Linux.html

  6:31pm  up 33 days, 19:44, 10 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.35, 0.24

------------------------------

From: "Karsten M. Self" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:40:42 -0800

Robert C. Paulsen, Jr. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a Quicken-like application for Linux?

Aside from GNUCash (which looks pretty good), rumors are that older
versions of Quicken run under WINE, and that a true Linux port might be
under consideration (picked up at Slashdot, IIRC).  You could call/write
and ask what their plans are.

From: Rik van Riel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: use theramin as input device
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 03:03:45 +0100

On 4 Feb 1999, Jehan Sappideen wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.development.system Eric Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Wouldn't that be making the easy, difficult? Most theramins I've seen
> : are bigger than a mouse and keyboard, and would require two hands to use
> : (unlike a mouse). A novel idea, but just plain silly.
>
> No, actually, it is possible to make a very small simple theremin
> for under $10, that (with the exception of the antenna) would
> _easily_ fit into a mouse casing.

What kind of interface will it use to the computer,
serial, joystick or something else?

Or, to put it another way: what kind of an interface
would it need to be useful to us?

> I've also seen a few with midi outs (try www.bigbriars.com) - you
> could write software drivers to work with existing midi hardware.
> Totally useless of course, but *interesting*.

Totally useless. We want to use the theramin as a
generic computer interface.
Seriously. We really want to. :-|

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?
| Linux Memory Management site:  http://humbolt.geo.uu.nl/Linux-MM/ |
| Nederlandse Linux documentatie:          http://www.nl.linux.org/ |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Newbie
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 05:45:09 GMT

In article <79ddrk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "TWK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Can anyone recommend a NG(s) for those interesting in learning more about
> Linux, starting with the basics? I ended up in this ng because it seems well
> populated compared to others.
>
> Thanks..........Tim

Come one, come all.  If your interested in Linux your in the right place.
Post your questions and yee will be answered.

PS Make sure you read as much documentation on Linux as human'ly possible.

-chad