From: Brian Seppanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logical Volume's with Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:49:49 -0500

I was going throught the LVM howto for setting up logical volumes under
linux.  I'm using redhat linux 7.0, and I was following the instructions
as I went.  When it came to the point of actually creating
the physical volume with pvcreate, the volume group with vgcreate I
noticed that the commands were unavailable on my box.  There do not
appear to be any commands such as those documented in the HOWTO.  I
didn't see anything regarding pre-requisites in the howto either.  Can
anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,
Brian Seppanen

From: "BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't download in gnapster under user account
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:50:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Andrew Y"

> When I use gnapster under my non-privleged user account, i don't have
> the ability to download files. I can connect and search, but the
> download cancels right when it goes to accept the connection. I have no
> problem downloading files when i'm logged in as root, so i'm suspecting
> it has something to do with file permissions or groups. Does anyone have
> an idea of what i need to configure to allow downloading under a normal
> user account?  Thanks

Have you checked that the user has write permissions to the directory
under which you configured gnapster to save downloaded files?

------------------------------

From: "repo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: password problem
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:56:43 +0100

Hello

After an uptime from about 24 houres, I get the message:
you don't excist go away
All I can do is a hard reboot.
Never had problems before.
I allready reinstalled pam and ncurses, but no go
This is driving me crazy, and my box doesn't support very well the hard
rebootd :-(
Any suggestions?
Thank you

--
Repo

RedHat Linux release 7.0 Kernel 2.2.16-22
http://beginnerslinux.org    http://beginnerslinux.saxen.net
  9:56pm  up 40 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.28, 0.29

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Weird(?) magic word for sh to invoke perl under Linux
Date: 21 Mar 2001 16:57:42 -0400

Hi,

Under Solaris, I always use the following lines in my perl code to
invoke it:

#!/bin/sh -- # -*- perl -*- -w
eval 'exec perl $0 ${1+"$@"}'
  if 0;

But after moving to Linux, I got very frustrated with this setting,
and I can't even get the following to work:

#!/bin/sh -x
eval 'exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}'  # -*- perl -*- -w
  if 0;

All I can see is recursive calling:

+ eval exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}
+++ which perl
++ exec /usr/bin/perl /home/tong/s/scripts/mailh.pl
+ eval exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}
+++ which perl
++ exec /usr/bin/perl /home/tong/s/scripts/mailh.pl
+ eval exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}
+++ which perl
++ exec /usr/bin/perl /home/tong/s/scripts/mailh.pl

I thought it was a bash shell version problem, but I fount it is
not. My current bash is "BASH_VERSION='2.04.0(1)-release'".

Has anyone ever notice this? do you have any way to work around it?

thanks

PS, my perl:

$ perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-linux

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: pdf (was: Best E-mail Client?)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:04:03 GMT

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:09:36 GMT, Jan Schaumann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Doesn't "Print to file" in Windows generate a postscript just like in
>*nix?

It does if you have a Postscript printer driver installed.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Free Embedded Linux Seminar !
Date: 21 Mar 2001 20:32:24 GMT

The world of embedded systems is changing. Both what you develop, and how
you develop are evolving.

Linux Inside is a one-day seminar that will tell you how and why. Find out
from those who provide Hard Hat Linux, and those who are developing with
Linux, how it is re-inventing embedded-system design and revolutionizing
the economics of building and deploying pervasive computing devices.

At this seminar you will:
+ See why embedded Linux is the ideal for the widest array of applications
+ Gain insight into the powerful combination of Hard Hat Linux and Java
+ Learn about MontaVista real-time options for Linux
+ Understand the Gnu Public License (GPL) and how to preserve your intellectual
+property
+ Check out the MontaVista cross development environment with hand-on demos

You will also see live demos of the latest innovative solutions developed
with Hard Hat Linux, and meet the technical experts from MontaVista, ready
to answer your questions.

                                      Cost: FREE. It's not only free, but you'll also
receive a free copy of our
                                      Cross Development Kit 1.2 Hard Hat Linux OS
Software.

                                      Directions to the hotels can be found on their
websites.
                                      If you plan to stay at the hotel mention the
"MontaVista Seminar Corporate
                                      rate." Any questions about the seminar should be
directed to
                                      MontaVista. E-mail: dwhite at mvista.com or
phone: 408-524-8193

Seminar dates:
Friday, March 23, 2001 * 8:30am - 4pm
                                            The Bellevue Hilton
                                            100 112th Avenue NE, Bellevue, Washington
98004-5817
                                            Tel:1/425/455-3330, Fax:1/425/451-2473

http://www.hilton.com/hotels/BLVBHHF/index.html
Tuesday, March 27, 2001 * 8:30am - 4pm
                                            Hotel Boulderado
                                            2115 13th Street, Boulder, Colorado 80302
                                            800.433.4344 * 303.442.4344

Reserve your space at the forefront of technology

For details on the March Northwest seminars visit,
http://www.mvista.com/linuxinside/seminar.html

Customers and prospects can register at
http://www.mvista.com/linuxinside/register.html
    http://www.boulderado.com/accommodations.htm

                                      Keynote Speaker:
                                      Jim Ready CEO
                                      MontaVista Software, Inc.
                                      Embedded RTOS Pioneer

                                      Agenda:

                                            8:30am - 9:30 - Registration and
Continental Breakfast
                                            9:00am - Key Note - Linux is living
software - Jim Ready
                                            10:00am - Linux for mobile applications -
Michael Taht
                                            10:45am - Embedded linux and Java: an
ideal pairing - Mike Mathews
                                            11:30am - Native Linux Real-Time
performance - Bill Weinberg
                                            12:15pm - Lunch
                                            1:15pm - GPL, MontaVista and Your
Intellectual Property - Bill
                                            Weinberg
                                            2:00pm - The Hard Hat Linux Development
Environment Demonstration -
                                            Jim Dugger
                                            3:00 - 4:30 - Q & A - MontaVista and
Partner Demo

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Best E-mail Client?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:41:29 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Christian Garms wrote (in part):
>>
>> Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > I also have PINE set up....and the default mailer with RH 7.0....but
>> > they all lack HTML, javascript and graphics.
>>
>> Why do you need this stuff? Do you want to catch the latest trojans?
>>
>> Use PDF-Documents instead. ps2pdf is a very good tool for that.

>How do I get my correspondents to buy Adobe's Acrobat and use it when
>they are so used to running Microsoft Word or some HTML writer (such

They can Just tell them to send you either plain text or
.rtf formats only.

>as Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer or Outlook Express)? They
>are so proud of having the latest Microsoft stuff that nothing can
>induce them to switch.

Tell them about the obvious security risks.

Write a simple macro that just pops up a box saying "hello world."

>When I send their stuff back, saying I cannot
>read it and to use something standard, they say I should get my
>machine fixed.

You should fix your correspondents. :-)

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:47:56 GMT

Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Manfred Bartz wrote:
>>
>> Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > I have been using Netscape for mail on Linux for a long time because it
>> > supports HTML and Javascript and graphics.
>>
>> > they all lack HTML, javascript and graphics.
>>
>> Well, do you need all that stuff?  For email???

>Yes. I receive several e-mails that have the best and richest content
>when I can display HTML. Otherwide they are almost unreadable.

Uh. Depends from the point of view selected, I guess.
I'd say that HTML is unreadable - in general.

>I want the widest possible range of compatibility.

Then you definitely do not want to use HTML. There's almost
no compatibility at all.

>The function set
>being built into mail these days is moving away from plain text....but
>at least following a universal standard (html/java).

That's just ridiculous. HTML doesn't have any accepted standard (why
do you think websites have to be written in three different versions)
anymore. Granted, there's HTML 4.0 , but that's practically useless
given the fact that the implementations are mostly proprietary.

>If the mail client
>can't do these things, in the near future it will make mail difficult
>from commercial sources and from come government agencies who are
>adopting html and java for function-rich information delivery.

[...]

Facts: Java is a security risk. Java-script is even worse. And ActiveX
is a nightmare. If you want to deliver information, use plain text.
Anything else is just adding useless overhead to the core message
itself.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:22:32 GMT

Jan Schaumann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> * Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>> Perhaps they could get ghostscript, but they have stuff in Microsoft
>> Word, not .ps, so how do they convert Word .doc files to .ps files so
>> they can use ghostscript to convert that to .pdf?
>
> Doesn't "Print to file" in Windows generate a postscript just like in
> *nix?
> [snip]

AFAIK it will if the currently selected printer is postscript.

--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: terminal behavior after "man", "less", etc.
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:28:28 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Watkins"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]After upgrading to Mandrake 7.2 (from 7.0) I am noticing different
]behavior on the terminal that I cannot explain and would like to know how
]to control.

]Previously, after a "man", "less" or similar command, the information
]output by these commands would disappear and I would be left with the
]terminal window drawn almost exactly as it was before I invoked the
]command, save of course for the command itself and a new promt. Now, the
]output remains on the terminal.

]The odd thing is that this is the case with xterm and gnome-terminal, but
]not with konsole: konsole behaves the way all the terminals used to
]before I upgraded.

]How can I control this behavior, regardless of the terminal I am using?

What can I say. The whole terminal control business is completely messed
up. vi tries to roll its own and seems to be compatible with almost none
of the current treminals, and they keep changing the xterm terminfo to
mess stuff up.

Check on your terminal
echo $TERM
It probably says xterm for all of them. This means its behaviour is
governed by the /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm
You can try to replace it with the terminfo from an older version and
see if that helps.
(On my 7.2 mandrake system, if I am logged in as root, vi issues a whole
bunch of spaces and a 1 which gets left on the screen after vi exits.
Who knows why.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:30:38 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* Tong * wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under Solaris, I always use the following lines in my perl code to
> invoke it:
>
> #!/bin/sh -- # -*- perl -*- -w
> eval 'exec perl $0 ${1+"$@"}'
>   if 0;
>
> But after moving to Linux, I got very frustrated with this setting,
> and I can't even get the following to work:
>
> #!/bin/sh -x
> eval 'exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}'  # -*- perl -*- -w
>   if 0;
>
> All I can see is recursive calling:
>
> + eval exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}
> +++ which perl
> ++ exec /usr/bin/perl /home/tong/s/scripts/mailh.pl
> + eval exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}
> +++ which perl
> ++ exec /usr/bin/perl /home/tong/s/scripts/mailh.pl
> + eval exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}
> +++ which perl
> ++ exec /usr/bin/perl /home/tong/s/scripts/mailh.pl
>
> I thought it was a bash shell version problem, but I fount it is
> not. My current bash is "BASH_VERSION='2.04.0(1)-release'".
>
> Has anyone ever notice this? do you have any way to work around it?

Not really, you should have the first line in your script:

#!/usr/bin/perl

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Disks are really slow.
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:31:13 GMT

"Petter Egnell" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Running a system with two 30Gb IBM Deskstars and one 60Gb IBM Deskstar. When
> I move files from one disk to another I get around 2Mb/s.
> The system is a 200Mhz Pentium, I know the interface is slow but this is
> more of a joke. When moving large files it takes hours..   So I've started
> to wonder if everything is configured allright.

If ide drives, => man hdparm
hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda gave me most bang for $

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:32:07 GMT

In <99aqo9$ht5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

]> I am going to add your comments to my .Xdefaults file!

]man xterm (to long to quote in full):

]     titeInhibit (class TiteInhibit)
]             Specifies whether or not xterm should remove  remove
]             ti  and  te terminfo entries (used to switch between
]             alternate screens on startup of many screen-oriented
]             programs)  from the TERM string.  If set, xterm also
]             ignores the escape sequence to switch to the  alter-
]             nate screen.

](hmm - that should be "termcap" here, not "terminfo")

Nope. Most programs have switched to terminfo, not termcap. The whole
situation is a mess.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: How to disable the "call waiting feature" of the modem ?
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:33:36 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Shaozheng Zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]When I use the modem for PPP connection to ISP, I should disable the
]"Call Waiting" feature.
]In Win95, it is easy to disable the configuration of the Modem. But how
]could
]I disable this "call waiting feature' of the modem when I configure PPP
]for linux to connect to my ISP.

By sending the modem the intialization string (AT string) which tells it
to turn off call waiting. Either in your chat script or in you ppp front
end (kppp, wvdialm gppp,.....)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:40:39 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Shaozheng Zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]David Efflandt wrote:

]> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:49:02 +1100, Shaozheng Zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]> >Hi, All:
]> >
]> >When I use the modem for PPP connection to ISP, I should disable the
]> >"Call Waiting" feature.
]> >In Win95, it is easy to disable the configuration of the Modem. But how
]> >could
]> >I disable this "call waiting feature' of the modem when I configure PPP
]> >for linux to connect to my ISP.
]>
]> I don't have call waiting, but I imagine that you just add *70 followed by
]> 1 or 2 commas at the beginning of the phone number.  I forget if a comma
]> is 1/2 sec or 2 seconds, but use enough commas to get the second dialtone.
]>
]> --
]> David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
]> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
]> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

]Dear David:

]That sounds very good idea. But where you get this idea from?
]And that is still not clear to me. How to get this effect from the configuration of
]control-panel==>add ppp interface==>...
]How to configure from there?

You were unclear. Is it your phone line which has call waiting or your
modem. If it is your phone line, then you would make that a part of the
telephone number you are calling
ATD,*70,,,5551234
for example (pick up the phone, wait 1 second (one comma) dial *70 wait
three seconds, dial 5551234)
If it is the modem, then you must use the appropriate AT modem command.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:39:49 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Netscape 4.76 takes between 1.5 and 1.6 seconds to start up on my
> machine. This does not include the time required to download my home

Out of interest I just timed it .. 4.76 took about 7s to start and load
my home page to completion. That's on a P3 800 with 128MB (and ultradma
20MB/s disk, plus some old scsi). It took about 3s to appear on the screen.

Mozilla build 2000101015 took about 15s (11s).

> page from somewhere on the Internet.
>>
>> No kidding, Netscape 6 is hardly worth installing because it takes
>> longer to start up than any application that I have ever used on
>> any platform.  Sure it can read HTML and Java, but do i really need the
>> latest, most advanced Java machine running that starts _16_ java_vm
>> processes in addition to the 5 processes for Netscape alone??  I don't
>> remember Netscape Communicator 4.7x being that bad.

> Netscape Communicator starts up 1 process on my machine, and does not
> seem to fork off any more, no matter how many windows I open for it.

That I'm not going to check.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:27:07 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Zero, in my experience. There is no requirement on anyone to read mail
>> that is sent in their direction ...
> There is here. If they send you an announcement of something you must
> act on, and you refuse it, or discard it, or bounce it, then you get
> in trouble and must pay penalties for not replying, or for acting
> late, or for not acting at all.

That's impossible in law (IANAL).  You cannot be supposed to have
received a mail that's merely been sent to some address where you might
or might not be. And if it does arrive where you are, it cannot be supposed
to have been read by you (and not eaten by the dog at 6am), etc.  That's
why subpoenas exist - in order to make sure that person gets a message.

>> If they are savvy enough to have known how to send mail, I take great
>> pleasure in setting up a cron job to reply to them at decreasing
>> intervals urging them to desist, until they do.
>>
> They may desist all right, but then you are not informed about things
> upon which you must act by a particular time (e.g., that a special
> vote will be taken on some issue, or that a town meeting will be held
> and how to get there).

That's fine. I prefer proactive information-finding.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.lang.perl.misc
Date: 21 Mar 2001 21:47:03 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

]#!/bin/sh -- # -*- perl -*- -w
]eval 'exec perl $0 ${1+"$@"}'
]  if 0;

? If it is a perl script, just do
#!/usr/bin/perl
as the first line to have perl interpret the rest of the script instead
of sh.  I am not sure what  your sh comands do on solaris.

]But after moving to Linux, I got very frustrated with this setting,
]and I can't even get the following to work:

]#!/bin/sh -x
]eval 'exec `which perl` $0 ${1+"$@"}'  # -*- perl -*- -w
]  if 0;

]All I can see is recursive calling: