Linux-Misc Digest #572, Volume #27                Mon, 9 Apr 01 19:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  loadable modules ("Örjan Johansson")
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? ("Norm Dresner")
  shutdown ("Neil West")
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("Kenny@BUI")
  Re: Print error: "No filename for parameters given: Assume stcany." (Achim Linder)
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (paul beard)
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (Uwe Bonnes)
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (Timo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=F6ckigt?=)
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("Kenny@BUI")
  Re: loadable modules (Ville Karaila)
  using the route command ("me")
  Printer Daemon. (Mike Eggleston)
  Re: Something like the 'what' user command in UNIX ("Sergio Masci")
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("D F")
  Re: Looking for record and playback tool for Linux environment ("BigDude")
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (Mike Fleetwood)
  Re: Are there any Screen grabber for Linux ("mari-k")
  Re: Gnome menu panel ("mari-k")
  Re: Command to get linux version ("mari-k")
  Re: netscape problem with plugins ("mari-k")
  Re: dump/restore problem? ("ekkis")
  ANSI Color ("Jeffrey J. Bacon")
  breaking up large files into smaller pieces? (Peter Bismuti)

From: "Örjan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: loadable modules
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:10:54 +0200

Hi all!

I know you can use modprobe and insmod to load modules. But is there a
command I can use to see if a module is loaded?

TIA,
Orjan

------------------------------

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:12:09 GMT

Hermann Samso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9at3ri$gc3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
> a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
> developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
> computer for programming and testing.
>
> Saludos,
> SoLo2

Let's see.  I can buy a cheap PC clone on which I can run Linux -- in a
networked environment so I don't even need anything more than the OS
itself -- for about $600US.  At even a bargain basement (costing) rate of
$50US hour, that's only 12 hours of programmer time.  Considering the
complexity of Linux, you'd have to expend thousands of hours to get
something that might -- just might -- provide a moderately faithful
emulation of exactly one version of Linux.  Just one version!  To get three
versions, you'd probably have to double that.  And who's going to do the
program maintenance every time a new kernel version comes out?  You?
Probably not.  You  wouldn't have enough time to understand all of the
differences from the last version in time to get it coded before you'd have
to start working on the next new kernel version.

OTOH, If I'm really paranoid, I can get removable shells for my HD's so I
can remove all but one OS drive every time I'm ready to test a new "feature"
of my hardware.  Perhaps for an investment of $1000US I can create a totally
"safe" computer with two HDs, one of which is used only to restore the OS on
the other in the case of a total wipeout.  And that's buying new hardware.
I can probably scrounge up enough hardware in my basement to create one of
these machines for under $100US.

While it might be a nice thing to have, it's totally economically
infeasible.  Maybe it might make sense for a stable OS like Windows ;-) but
not for something that's changing as rapidly as Linux.

    Norm

------------------------------

From: "Neil West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: shutdown
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:21:56 -0400

I was trying to shutdown my computer remotely.  I typed the shutdown -nr 1
command and the system shutdown but when it rebooted and I try to telnet
into the system, the computer prompts me for my password but then says that
the system is shutting down in one minute.  Is there a reason for this and
how do I fix it.

Thanks
LEPP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:30:45 GMT

In article <9at3ri$gc3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hermann Samso wrote:

>       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>       a beast exist?

Yes.  You can run multiple instances of Linux on an IBM 390.
One guy at IBM reportedly had 4000+ instances of Linux running
on a signle box.  It's a very cool concept: instead of racks
and racks of servers that all need to be maintained, you buy a
single 390 and run umpteen copies of Linux: one as a DNS
server, one as an IMAP server, one as an NNTP server, a few
dozen as HTTP servers, a few as database servers, etc.  There
are virutual network channels between the instances, and they
can share disk space.

390's have auto-failover, hot-swappable _everything_ and they
quite commonly run 99.99+ percent uptime.  That's something
that's simply not possible with a room full of x86 machines.
Once the number of x86 machines gets large enough, the cost of
ownership of a 390 is actually less than the "many racks of
cheap shit" approach.

>       I think this could be useful for System
>       developement,

Definitely.  That's way machines like the 390 have always had
fully virtualizable designs.  That way you can run multiple
OSes on one box.  Can't affort to give every system programmer
his own physical machine? Then give each one a virtual machine
or two.

>       without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>       computer for programming and testing.

Unfortunately, due to the mind-numbing backwardness of the
Intel CPU design, it is not easily virtualizable.  So there's
no nice to set up multiple virtual machines on one physical
machine if you're talking about the x86.

If Intel had done a better job on the 386, we probably would be
able to run multiple virtual machines on nice cheap hardware
(vmware does it, but they put a _lot_ of work into it, and
they want some payment for that work).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I like my new
                                  at               DENTIST...

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cdrom does not mount.
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:33:25 -0400

thank you for responding.
this is what i got.

hda: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 36X, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Achim Linder)
Subject: Re: Print error: "No filename for parameters given: Assume stcany."
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:29:21 +0200

On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:23:48 -0500, John Thompson wrote:
>Since updating printtool/printfilters on my RH6.1/kernel 2.2.18
>system in an attempt to get support for multiple resolutions on
>my Epson ESC600 printer I have been seeing the line above (in
>"Subject:" field) appear at the top of all my print jobs.

grep -2 stcany /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/ps-to-printer.fpi
#  Set default *.upp driver (your default printer upp driver here)
   if [ "$COLOR" = "" ]; then
      COLOR="stcany"
      echo "No filename for parameters given.  Assume $COLOR."
   fi

COLOR is assigned via
source ${SPOOLDIR}/postscript.cfg

Achim

------------------------------

From: paul beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:38:48 GMT

Ever tried VMware?

in article 9at3ri$gc3$[EMAIL PROTECTED], Hermann Samso at

------------------------------

From: Uwe Bonnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 9 Apr 2001 20:27:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Hermann Samso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
:       a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
:       developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
:       computer for programming and testing.

You can boot Linux in Linux with vmware and there is s user space
kernel.

Bye

--
Uwe Bonnes                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

========= Tel. 06151 162516 ======== Fax. 06151 164321 ==========

------------------------------

From: Timo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=F6ckigt?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:36:03 +0200

Hermann Samso wrote:

> I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
> a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
> developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
> computer for programming and testing.
>
> Saludos,
> SoLo2

If I didn't understand everything wrong VMWare provides you a virtual
computer, right? And you have a powerful computer. So what's the problem?

Ciao
Timo

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:43:17 -0400

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

> Now, given the entry from /etc/fstab you've indicated, mount
> will try to hang the thing at /mnt/cdrom so check to make
> sure that mountpoint exists by doing a
>
> ls -la /mnt

it does .

> As well, you need to make sure that the /dev/cdrom, which is
> a symlink to the appropriate drive, exists and is pointing
> to the right spot, so do
> ls -la /dev/cdrom

it does.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ville Karaila)
Subject: Re: loadable modules
Date: 9 Apr 2001 20:46:24 GMT

"Örjan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi all!

>I know you can use modprobe and insmod to load modules. But is there a
>command I can use to see if a module is loaded?

lsmod

--
 VK

------------------------------

From: "me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: using the route command
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:23:02 -0500

I currently have a linux box set up connecting to my dsl provider.  Recently
i have added another linux box to the network to connect my ethernet network
to a friends ethernet network.

What route command would i put in to the router to tell it that all internet
traffic shoud be routed to the firewall and anything else (samba/windows
file shares) should go accross the network?

Chris

------------------------------

From: Mike Eggleston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer Daemon.
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:38:22 +0100

I can't get the LPD printer daemon to start.  I'm running Red Hat Linux
release 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36 on a 486.  I can print (from root) by
directing output directly to /dev/lp0 but when I try

 lpc start all

it returns with

lp:
        printing enabled
lpc: connect: Connection refused
        couldn't start daemon

I thought it might have something to do with permissions but I've
compared everything I can think of with another machine (with lpd
running) and everything seems the same. I can't find anything in my
Linux books ("Running Linux" and "Linux in a Nutshell") about this
error.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

------------------------------

From: "Sergio Masci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Something like the 'what' user command in UNIX
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:42:59 +0100

Alex Vinokur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>      what searches each filename for occurrences of the pattern @(#) that
the
> SCCS get
>      command (see sccs-get(1)) substitutes for the %Z% ID keyword, and
prints
> what follows
>      up to a ", >, NEWLINE, \, or null character.
> </quote>

In that case have a look at ident it does similar things with sources
maintained by RCS

Sergio Masci

------------------------------

From: "D F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:54:29 -0400

Kenny@BUI wrote:
>thank you for responding.
>this is what i got.
>
>hda: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 36X, ATAPI CDROM drive
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>hda: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
>Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

Okay, so it's saying that your cdrom drive is the primary
master. What sort of a setup is this? Do you not have an IDE
hard drive in the machine? Are you currently running another
operating system on it? What does the BIOS say? It's sort of
hard to believe that your cdrom is the primary master. I've
never seen a config like this, unless your hard drive is
SCSI. I'm sort of out of my element, here, as I've no
experience at SCSI-hd based systems, although the principles
should be the same.

In any event, what output do you get from

ls -la /dev/hda

What Linux distro and kernel are you running?

====================
Dave Fluri  North Bay, Ontario  Canada

(The opinions herein are mine. I do not speak for my
employer unless I expressly indicate otherwise.)

------------------------------

From: "BigDude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.software.testing
Subject: Re: Looking for record and playback tool for Linux environment
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:54:35 GMT

The last tool of this kind I know about is (after everybody dropped their
product) Rational X-Preview or something like this. I don't know if it will
fit your need but that's it. Check if it works on linux cuase it's suposed
to handle solaris if I remeber well.

Good luck

news:9arn79$4t4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Fleetwood)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:53:01 +0100

On 9 Apr 2001 19:51:14 GMT, Hermann Samso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
uni-hannover.de> wrote:
>       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>       a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
>       developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>       computer for programming and testing.
>
>       Saludos,
>               SoLo2

The following software packages emulate PC hardware and will allow
Linux to be installed within your virtual PC on Linux:

* VMWare - Commerical
        http://www.vmware.com/
* Simics - Commercial
        http://www.simics.com/
* Plex86 - Open Source
        http://www.plex86.org/

More useful for kernel development is User Mode Linux which allows you
to run a Linux OS (kernel and all required processes) as separate
processes under Linux.

* User Mode Linux - Open Source
        http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

Mike
--
 __  __ _ _     ___    ____ _    ___  ___  _           ___  ___    _
|  \/  (_| | _ / _ \  | ___| |  / _ \/ _ \| |_ _  _  _/   \/   \ _| |

------------------------------

From: "mari-k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are there any Screen grabber for Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:19:12 GMT

In article <9asfog$sq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am using Linux RH7, i was wondering if there is any screen grabber
> to grabe the screen or window to the clipboard.
>
> Thanks in advance   Robert

best: import .. included in ImageMagick
practical: gimp
other: xv

------------------------------

From: "mari-k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome menu panel
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:22:22 GMT

In article <9at2nv$j5r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JCA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The menu panel that appears by default in recent Gnome versions is
> very nice. I am talking about the panel at the top of the screen.
>
>       Now I would like for this panel to autohide when the cursor is not on
> it. Anybody know if this can be done? According to the doc menu panels
> are somewhat restricted in their capabilities, and I wonder if what I
> want to do is one of those restricted behaviors.

There are 5 types of panels.  The one you are talking about is the
'menu panel' which is the one not configurable.

------------------------------

From: "mari-k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Command to get linux version
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:24:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Alex Vinokur"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What command should I use to get linux version?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Alex Vinokur

uname -a

------------------------------

From: "mari-k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape problem with plugins
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:26:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I've install netscape 6.01 on RH 7.0 in /usr/local/netscape, and
> naturally the plugins are in /usr/local/netscape/plugins. However I
> have java, and flash player plugins installed in that directory, but
> it won't work, and when I got to about:plugins, I don't even see it.
>
> Anyone knows what's going on?

THe install.readme of netscape tells you where to place plugins and
java.  Diferent locations.  Also plugins you download individually
should have info on how to enable them.

------------------------------

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dump/restore problem?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:41:43 -0700

"Dave Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Incidentally, I noticed on the restore manpage that there's a "-s" option
> which allows the selection of a "file number" on a stacked tape.
> Assuming that dump didn't overwrite the first record, perhaps this would
> permit you to locate the second archive.
>
> --
> Dave Brown  Austin, TX

I've looked and it seems I have only 1 "file" on the tape... is there any
way to list the "files" on a tape?

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: ANSI Color
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:01:55 GMT

I want to display my MOTD with colour in it if possible.  I know how to
get colour on a prompt in bash but my MOTD is created on bootup by a
script that imports a few files.  I have colour codes in the text of
these file but the codes just print out nit the colour stuff.  Can I
have colour in my MOTD or /etc/issue?
[ RH7, bash, 2.4.3 kernel ]
--
Jeffrey Bacon
Java Programmer Extrordinaire!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: breaking up large files into smaller pieces?
Date: 9 Apr 2001 22:57:12 GMT

I want to backup a file that is several gigabytes onto CDR.  I vaguely
remember there being a unix program that will chop up files into smaller
chunks and then reassemble them.  Can anyone tell me what the name of that
program is?