On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Paul Mundt wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 07:47:45PM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > 5 more patches, that fix high register access on sh-mobile in a correct
> > way and implement aggressive clock gating. Marked as RFC because testing
> > on non-SDHI platforms is required! The next step would be to add
> > runtime-pm to clock gating, but I'm refraining from this for now, because
> > similar patches for SDHCI have still not been committed and it seems,
> > there are still doubts about the right way to do that.
> >
> > Patches apply on top of my previous 2 patches from earlier today.
> >
> I'm a bit confused about this series in general. Patch 1 and 5 are both
> marked RFC but 2/3/4 seem to be unrelated and intended for merging,
> despite the fact I find the approach itself to be rather suspect. So why
> exactly are these all lumped together?

They all affect the clocking behaviour, but yes, you're certainly right,
they could and should be separated into two patch-series. Following your
idea from a previous mail, patches 2, 3, and 4 should be using resource
sizes.

It might, probably, be better to redo all these patches in a completely
different way. Since none of them is a fix, I propose to drop the complete
series for now. The previous series "tmio_mmc: improve DMA reliability" is
anaffected.

Thanks
Guennadi

> Please do not create patch series that are intentionally muddled. Since
> you have two distinct things here with completely different intentions
> and you've not explicitly stated whether there's any dependencies between
> the two it simply creates a giant mess.
>
> A patch series should be logically structured in some way other than
> "here's a bunch of random patches I have pending for this particular
> driver", particularly if only parts of it are intended to be merged.

---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/