On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM, J Freyensee
<james_p_freyen...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 01:34 PM, Praveen G K wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM, J Freyensee
>> <james_p_freyen...@linux.intel.com>  wrote:

>>> In theory in a fairy-tale world, maybe, in reality, not really.  In R/W
>>> performance measurements we have done, eMMC performance in products users
>>> would buy falls well, well short of any theoretical numbers.  We believe
>>> in
>>> theory, the eMMC interface should be able to support up to 100MB/s, but
>>> in
>>> reality on real customer platforms write bandwidths (for example) barely
>>> approach 20MB/s, regardless if it's a Microsoft Windows environment or
>>> Android (Linux OS environment we care about).  So maybe it is software
>>> implementation issues of multiple OSs preventing higher eMMC performance
>>> numbers (hence the reason why I sometimes ask basic coding questions of
>>> the
>>> MMC subsystem- the code isn't the easiest to follow); however, one looks
>>> no
>>> further than what Apple has done with the iPad2 to see that eMMC probably
>>> just is not a good solution to use in the first place.  We have measured
>>> Apple's iPad2 write performance on *WHAT A USER WOULD SEE* being double
>>> what
>>> we see with products using eMMC solutions. The big difference?  Apple
>>> doesn't use eMMC at all for the iPad2.
>>
>> Thanks for all the clarification.  The problem is I am seeing write
>> speeds of about 5MBps on a Sandisk eMMC product and I can clearly see
>> the time lost when measured between sending a command and receiving a
>> data irq.  I am not sure what kind of an issue this is.  5MBps feels
>> really slow but can the internal housekeeping of the card take so much
>> time?
>
> Have you tried to trace through all structs used for an MMC operation??!
>  Good gravy, there are request, mmc_queue, mmc_card, mmc_host,
> mmc_blk_request, mmc_request, multiple mmc_command and multiple scatterlists
> that these other structs use...I've been playing around on trying to cache
> some things to try and improve performance and it blows me away how many
> variables and pointers I have to keep track of for one operation going to an
> LBA on an MMC.  I keep wondering if more of the 'struct request' could have
> been used, and 1/3 of these structures could be eliminated.  And another
> thing I wonder too is how much of this infrastructure is really needed, that
> when I do ask "what is this for?" question on the list and no one responds,
> if anyone else understands if it's needed either.

I know I am not using the scatterlists, since the scatterlists are
aggregated into a 64k bounce buffer.  Regarding the different structs,
I am just taking them on face value assuming everything works "well".
But, my concern is why does it take such a long time (250 ms) to
return a transfer complete interrupt on occasional cases.  During this
time, the kernel is just waiting for the txfer_complete interrupt.
That's it.