Re. Linux DOS emulator 1.0.2.1

I am trying to run a DOS program non-interactively, directly from the linux command line (eventually it needs to be called from a PHP script to provide a web interface to the program, but that's another story):

./dosemu -home -D-a -I 2>/dev/null 'keystroke "\rD:\\fu\\bar.exe\rexitemu\r"'

The DOS program outputs to a file, so collecting output is not a problem (although stdout would be neater, as I could pick it up directly in PHP)

Running the above command works fine apart from one crucial detail:
I have to MANUALLY hit enter to get DosEMU to start:

DOSEMU will run on _this_ terminal.
To exit you need to execute 'exitemu' from within DOS,
because <Ctrl>-C and 'exit' won't work!
Redirecting $HOME to DOS drive D:

Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to cancel

I thought that I would be able to mimic this with an extra '\r' in my keystroke string - but dosemu doesn't seem to get as far as processing the keystrokes.

Is this meant to happen or is my copy not set up correctly?
I just need it to start automatically.

Any thoughts...?

Many thanks,
Alastair Hole