Linux-Networking Digest #12, Volume #10          Wed, 27 Jan 99 00:13:48 EST

Contents:
  Re: PPP Setup for Uswest.net Dial in (J. Scott Berg)
  Re: Network Printing (Stephen Carville)
  Track down ping problems with 2 linux machine network. (Darren Ford)
  Re: Linux 5.1 DNS returns non-authoritive answers ("Tom Hulley")
  Ethernet for a linux neophyte ("Jim Ray")
  Cascading squid proxies (one has authentication) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: d-link DFE-530TX ("joe")
  Re: Can't login to Linux(Netatalk) from Mac (David Ison)
  Re: Can't Telnet To Linux 5.2 from MS workstation (Tim Sutherland)
  Re: What's net-pf-4? ("Willem")
  Re: Info for Mac-printing using Netatalk needed (David Ison)
  Re: [Q] : DNS problem ? (Tim Sutherland)
  xhost timeout? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Load Balancing (David Ison)
  ipfwadm - SUID root? (Jon Stanley)
  Bad NIC performance since upgrade to 2.2.0 (Christian Brideau)
  Squid, routing 2 eth cards ("Corey Ralph")
  lpd to lpd ("Wes Robbins")
  ping works, telnet and ftp don't (alynch)
  Re: How to Check current Kernel compile options (spivey)
  Newbi needs help on Linux SuSE 5.3 - Windows98 network connection
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq? (Ben Ginter)
  Re: long time to log in (James Youngman)
  Re: How do I limit the size of a home account? (James Youngman)
  Re: What's net-pf-4? (Malware)
  ip routing using EDGE single disk linux ("Golomyer")
  How to Check current Kernel compile options (Ronald Hovens)
  Driver for DE-528 PCI Ethernet card ("alex")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. Scott Berg)
Crossposted-To: mn.online-service
Subject: Re: PPP Setup for Uswest.net Dial in
Date: 27 Jan 1999 02:37:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John McKinney  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Netcom and Earthlink both have webpages in thier support areas that
>address this.
>They also have tech support folks that seem to know what they are doing
>but it may
>take awhile to talk to them (you always have to go thru the guy who
>checks to see
>if your plugged in first).  Your mileage may vary.

Well, as you can see I use Earthlink.  I certainly haven't found
anything on their web site to indicated how to set up with Linux (they
have a "Linux" link, which explains how to fill in the blanks for
Netscape, but not how to set up).  Their support technicians seem
specifically trained to say "we don't support Linux."  I've never
gotten to the "tech support folks that seem to know what they are
doing."  I'll give you the whole story and you can see what you think.

I couldn't send out a mail message (I had sent one before).  I gave
their mail server a ping, no response.  This went on for a while, so I
gave them a call.  "Mail servers working fine.  Why can't I ping them?
We don't support Linux."  The guy then repeated this latter mantra
'til I gave up on him.  A bit of playing around on my part found that
I could send short emails.  Never could ping the mail servers--it
would be nice if the guy would have just told me that their servers
don't respond to pings.  Even Win98 has ping.  OK, a bit more playing
around and I found there was a threshold message size that wouldn't go
through.  Another call: some kind of limit on the message size?  After
giving the required "we don't support Linux" stuff, the guy seemed to
do his best but couldn't really help.

The solution?  Their system indicates in the LCP negotiation it can
handle an mru of 1524.  Since I hadn't indicated an mtu, pppd set it
to 1524.  Well, the fact is that a packet that size doesn't make it.
The real mtu seems to be 1500.  Guessed this by looking at tcpdump
output.  Sending a large enough message caused a sufficiently large
packet to be sent.  If someone knows what's going on, I'd love to hear
it (and why does it work on Win98?).

Why do I bother with them?  The have "POP's" where I need them.
Frankly, nobody I've found has the kind of coverage that they do, not
even close.

                                -Scott Berg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:14:28 -0800
From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network Printing

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there anyway that I can get the ability to print to an IP printer.
> Linux Man!@!

Since most network printers run an lpd like scheduler you should be able
to treat the printer just like any other print server.  You will need to
know the queue name.  The most common in my experience is "raw".

I've only done this with the Redhat printtool so I am not sure what your
printcap should look like.  Here is a copy of my entry directly accessing
one of my employers network printers (HP Laserjet 5si):

lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=gwyps1:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:

--
Stephen Carville
Civilization, as we know it today, owes it's existence to the engineers.

------------------------------

From: Darren Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Track down ping problems with 2 linux machine network.
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:20:42 GMT

I still need help tracking down ping problems between my two machines.
Let me give you some out put and some background and see if you can
help.

Here is route output:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1
eth0
127.0.0.0         *                   255.0.0.0       U     0
0        2 lo

Here is ifconfig output: (using netgear 300Tx NIC and de4x5 driver, I've
tried netgear's tulip driver too and similar results)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          RX packets:79 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:79 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:05:41:98:37
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:0 errors:6 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6200

Here is arp output: (ford2 is my other malfunctioning machine)

Address   HWtype HWaddress              Flags Mask    Iface
ford2
(incomplete)                              eth0

Here is /etc/hosts: (I did have 127.0.0.1 localhost
localhost.localdomain in there)

192.168.0.2 ford2 ford2.killnt.net
192.168.0.1 ford1 ford1.killnt.net

The other machine has identical output except it's IP is 192.168.0.2.

Why, if I don't even have the other machine connected, does ping just
give this and sit there and why does the local loopback device packet
count go up?

PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2)  56 data bytes:

------------------------------

From: "Tom Hulley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 5.1 DNS returns non-authoritive answers
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:49:01 -0500

Thanks , but I fixed it.
I had copied all my existing /var/named files from my sun system along with
the named.boot file. Although they worked fine on Solaris, this version of
bind on Linux had some problems with a few of the files.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Ethernet for a linux neophyte
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:21:16 -0500

Well, I'm setting up my box to dual boot into linux (at least until I can
safely just get rid of WinNT for good!).  Needless to say, I'm really new at
this.  How, if you'd please, do I set up my ethernet card.  I'm using redhat
5.1, but didn't install the networking stuff at the beginning installation.
I'd like to avoid reinstalling, but it's not necessary.  I tried the
ethernet how-to and could not, for the life of me, figure out any
discernable instructions on "this is how you set up an ethernet card".
Thanks!

Jim
To reply to via personal email, please remove the ".nospam" from the end of
the email address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cascading squid proxies (one has authentication)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:18:48 GMT

Hi,

        I would like to cascade my squid proxy onto another squid proxy
(let's call it COsquid) with authentication. Could I ask for help on this?

        This is because I'm one of the selected few people in my organization with a
login and p/w on COsquid. Putting the PHBs and ilk one side, I would like to
allow a few selected groups through me to the COsquid, besides giving them my
userid/password and location to it (I'm not the sysadmin in my organization).

        Thank you for any help rendered. Fyi, I'm fully away from MS, but
precariously still a linux newbie.

regards,
Rostov

From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: d-link DFE-530TX
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:21:47 -0800

use the tulip module
edir /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and uncomment the line with tulip something rather
on it

this is a quickfix

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:59:53 -0500
From: David Ison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't login to Linux(Netatalk) from Mac

Change  ./sys/linux/Makefile:

OPTOPTS=     ...  -DSHADOWPW

& recompile.

--

David Ison
Sysadmin, PCCI

Remove .unspam for replies

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Sutherland)
Subject: Re: Can't Telnet To Linux 5.2 from MS workstation
Date: 27 Jan 1999 02:20:14 GMT

In article <Dfrr2.111$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mick wrote:
>You can log in as root if you enable that option in one of the config files,
>although I'm not sure which one.  I stumbled across it the other day.  (I'm
>a newbie as well).  I think that if you persevere with this newsgroup then
>someone will tell you how to do it.  And probably tell you it isn't a good
>idea as well.  !

Would it be /etc/securetty you are thinking of?
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt contains info about Pseudo-TTY slaves
which IIRC are what telnet uses. A better solution is to either login as a
normal user and then su to root, or use SSH ( Secure SHell ) so that the data
sent is encrypted. With a normal telnet connection, your password and other
information is sent as plain text, and so can be intercepted.

--
It does not matter if you fall down as long as you pick up something
from the floor while you get up.

------------------------------

From: "Willem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's net-pf-4?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:40:09 +0100

Jim Ford wrote in message <78l32m$jsk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I always get boot messages to the effect that net-pf-4 and 5 can't be
>located. What does this mean in practice - it doen't seem to effect my
>network?

Go to www.redhat.com, go to knowledbase and search for net-pf-4. Solution is
perfectly described there, and it's also the place you should go with
problems like this

Willem
Give a man a fish and he will eat one day.
Teach him how to fish and he will eat his whole life.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:01:07 -0500
From: David Ison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Info for Mac-printing using Netatalk needed

Docs should be available here or thru a link:

    http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/

--

David Ison
Sysadmin, PCCI

Remove .unspam for replies

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Sutherland)
Subject: Re: [Q] : DNS problem ?
Date: 27 Jan 1999 02:20:15 GMT

In article <01be40a1$9ae58d00$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Coquil
wrote:
>that the host does not exist. So I guess it's a DNS config problem, right ?
>I checked the DNS names, they are correct (my provider's), and I know these
>DO work because I used to use them when I had Winwhatever_you_call_it.

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and add the lines
        nameserver 203.29.160.4
        nameserver 203.29.160.2

Replacing the IP's with whatever you use with your ISP.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: xhost timeout?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:16:46 GMT

Please pardon the cross post, I could not find a good thread/group to jump in
with this one.

Background: I run two linux systems together as one computer in that one of
them is an intel box that acts as an application server while the other is an
alpha that I use for development of various types and has the X display.  The
intel box runs netscape/mail/wordprocessor junk that either is a waste of
compute power on my alpha or not easily available/compileable on the alpha.

I often leave this setup running for weeks at a time with various application
on the intel box (same mix as a above with the DISPLAY set to the alpha box
of course) running in a virtual window somewhere for hours on end without my
intervention.

My problem is this:

Based on rather poor imperical data (due to the long MTBF of this problem)
the netscape windows/applications (mail/browser) have a tendency to shut
themselves down after some period (very long - 6-8 hours of more) of
inactivity

UNLESS...

I run xlock ***

At the command line(button or menu will do) when I leave.  Having FVWM/xdm set
to timeout and screensave after the default lapse in activity does not seem to
be sufficient.

My first suspicion was that I was running some form of fvwmclean, but an
exhaustive search disproved that theory.

Is there some timeout that I cannot find with rsh or xhost that is doing this
or does netscape really just crash that regularly?  (netscape does not crash
often while I am using it - 1/2 times per month, but I have certainly seen it
crash in this manner in the past).

Obvisouly this is a trivial problem, but the reason I leave these things on is
that I don't want to have to spend several minutes when I come back twiddling
with netscape to get back to where I was when I left.

Thanks,

/Mike

SYSINFO
Intel - RH5.2 no X sever running
        Communicator 4.5
        Plenty of ram/plenty of swap
        2.0.36

ALpha - RH5.1 XFree3.3.3 (latest download, always running XDM/FVWM2)
        xhost/rsh - stock RH 5.1
        Even more ram/yet more swap
        2.2.0-pre7-ac7 (but it has been doing this since 2.0.34)

100Mbps crosover net between them (tulip on the Alpha - EEPRO100 on the intel)

Other notes:
running 4 ethernet cards in the intel box and ipmasquerade (although not using
masq during these timeouts and Netscape is running on the masq server).

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:43:40 -0500
From: David Ison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Load Balancing

Load balancing may not be the precise term for this, but the biggest
weakness in using a Linux box as a network gateway with low-bandwith PPP
connect (like 64 K ISDN or a modem) is how it allocates everything over
to one user doing a d/l, and all the others go  r e a l   slow.    What
is needed is a way to be able to kick off a 'background' download at,
say 5-10 bps, and save the rest of the bandwidth for others.

Has anyone seen something on doing this?

It's the same principle as 'nice' command with CPU processes.

--

David Ison
Sysadmin, PCCI

Remove .unspam for replies

------------------------------

From: Jon Stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipfwadm - SUID root?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:14:17 -0600

I have a network at home.  My brother is not that famailar with Linux.
Basically, I need to setup masquerading from an account that has no
password. Right now, the login runs a shell script that sets it up, and
the account has a real UID of 0.  I'm terribly afraid of a root compromise
with this setup, because of the possibility of escaping  to the shell
that is running.  My question is, is it safe to set ipfwadm (or ipchains
once I upgrade my kernel) SUID root?  That way the shell is running
unpriviliged, and the individaul commands run as root.  I dont really
care if normal users run them.

------------------------------

From: Christian Brideau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bad NIC performance since upgrade to 2.2.0
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:38:48 -0500

I compiled the new 2.2.0 kernel on two machines now and they both have
the same problem.  When I issue the ifconfig command, interface eth0
shows something like this:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          RX packets:26880 errors:384 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:26880

eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:6D:5F:E5
          inet addr:138.120.61.7  Bcast:138.120.61.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:16225536 errors:45670 dropped:1418 overruns:0
          TX packets:2282 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1812427
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

This machine has been booted for 3 hours maximum.  Also, network
performance is very sluggish.  I have no idea what could have gone
wrong...

This machine has a DEC Tulip card, and the other one has a Realtek PCI
NE2K adapter.
Also, I get this error when I play with routes:

chrisb:/proc/net # route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
chrisb.ca.newbr *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
lo
138.120.61.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
default         nnc3e02.ca.newb 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0
chrisb:/proc/net # route del 138.120.61.0
SIOCDELRT: No such process
chrisb:/proc/net #

ChrisB

------------------------------

From: "Corey Ralph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Squid, routing 2 eth cards
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:10:50 +1100

Hi, just a very small problem I'm having with squid/linux.

I have a machine set up with 2 ethernet cards.  The idea is that one (eth0)
transfers to/from the client, the other (eth1) transfers to/from the
webservers.  I have set this in squid.conf using the ip addresses of the
cards.  The default gateway is set through eth1.

The problem is that ALL outgoing data is going through eth1.  No data is
going back to the client through eth0.  This causes unnecessary extra load
on the router eth1 goes into.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Corey

------------------------------

From: "Wes Robbins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lpd to lpd
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:42:59 -0700

I am running redhat 5.0 on a dx-50 server I am using this system as a print
server for
both unix and NT systems.

My problem is.
I setup an OpenVMS 6.1 UCX LPD spool to send to the redhat server. The data
is sent to the printer and all but the Postscript or text scripts are
ignored and I always get ASCII out of the printer.

When I print lpd to lpd from linux to linux if I remove the auto scripts
from the from sender I get the same problem.  How do I get lpd to lpd
Scripts to run always on the server?

------------------------------

From: alynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ping works, telnet and ftp don't
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:16:06 +0000

I am trying to set up a network at home between two computers using
crossover cable. One machine runs windows95 and the other linux.
The two machines can ping each other, but I am having erratic behaviour
trying to telnet or ftp to the linux machine.
I can telnet to the linux machine, can ls some directories but not
others
(e.g., if i try to do ls on /bin or /usr it freezes, but I can ls on
/home and /).
ls -l freezes no matter where I am. cat and vi work OK on the files I
tried.
man doesn't.
ftp shows similar behaviour (ls freezes on some directories but not
others).

Both telnet and ftp work fine when done on the linux machine directly.

The diagnostics programs for both cards reported no problems.
I changed the crossover cable and that made no difference.

Please help!!!

Alejandro Lynch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (spivey)
Subject: Re: How to Check current Kernel compile options
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:31:39 GMT

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:19:16 +0100, Ronald Hovens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Help!
>
>For many issues in linux (e.g. firewalling) you need a kernel with
>certain compile options set or unset.
>
>Does anybody know how I can check the settings my current kernel was
>compiled with?
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Ronald Hovens

        Try /usr/src/linux/.config
        Question; Can you edit this manully instead of _make config_?

very new,
spivey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbi needs help on Linux SuSE 5.3 - Windows98 network connection
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:06:00 GMT

Hi there

I got myself SuSE Linux 5.3 and have two PC at home whereas one is
running under Windows 98.

I bought Linux because I was just curious about it. However here is my
question:

Can anybody tell me how to get the Linux TCP/IP network to communicate
with Windows98.

More Precise...:
I have TCP/IP configured under Windows98 and set DHCP for IP
information. If I connect the two computers under Windows98 everything
runs perfect.

I tried reading several man and HOWTWO pages but could not find out
how to do this under Linux.
My first goal is to get VNC running and even then I could not figure
out how to do it.

Any help is really welcome and p l e a s e try answering via e-mail.

In hope of somebody finding this mail

D.Toussi

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

D. Toussi
_______________________________
Lacho calad, drego morn!
(J.R.R: Tolkien)

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ben Ginter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:43:56 GMT

James,

Go ahead and setup your masq box.  The Yahoo Chess (and the rest of the
Yahoo Java games and chat applets) will work just fine through the Linux
firewall.  You don't have to do anything tricky with ipfwadm.

When you access Yahoo Chess, for example, you download a Java applet
that then opens a socket to yog1.yahoo.com (or the appropriate server).
Since this socket was initiated inside the network, the Linux masq box
will let the packets come back from Yahoo reach your workstation.

ICQ also works but I don't use it much.

Ben

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: long time to log in
Date: 25 Jan 1999 19:32:39 +0000

Stef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Trying 192.168.1.3...
> Connected to 192.168.1.3.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> Then nothing happens for some minutes,

FAQ.
www.dejanews.com

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I limit the size of a home account?
Date: 25 Jan 1999 22:17:13 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm creating a Linux/Apache server for a group of students on which each
> person will have their own account. How do I:
>
> a) Limit the size of their home directory to 5 MB?

man quotaon
man edquota
man quota

> b) Put a blank web page in each directory with only their name on the page?

Why?

Anyway, you could use something like this UNTESTED shell script:-

#! /bin/bash

IFS=":"
exec < /etc/passwd
umask 222
while read name pw uid gid fullname homedir shell
do
        if test $uid -gt 100
        then
                if mkdir $homedir/public_html
                then
                        index=$homedir/publib_html/index.html
                        if -f $index
                        then
                                # Dont overwrite existing home page
                                echo $user already has a homepage
                        else
                                cat >$index <<EOF
   <HTML>
   <HEAD>
      Homepage for $user
   </HEAD>
   <BODY>
      The home page for $fullname is currently blank.
   </BODY>
   </HTML>
EOF
                else
                        # Dont ovwewrite existing home page
                        echo $homedir/public_html already exists
                fi
        else
                echo $name is a system user -- no homepage created.
        fi
done
# close the input file.
exec <&-

Alternatively, the once and for all solution:-

mkdir /etc/skel/public_html
cat >/etc/skel/public_html/index.html <<EOF
   <HTML>
   <HEAD>
      Blank homepage
   </HEAD>
   <BODY>
      This homepage is currently blank.
   </BODY>
   </HTML>
EOF
chmod a=rx /etc/skel/public_html
chmod a=r  /etc/skel/public_html/index.html

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:50:34 +0100

Hi Jim,

you wrote:
> I always get boot messages to the effect that net-pf-4 and 5 can't be
> located. What does this mean in practice - it doen't seem to effect my
> network?

It just mean that your kernel does not support IPX and Appletalk or the
modules for can not be located. If this messages just do annoy your eyes
add to your /etc/conf.modules

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

(Be sure to mark out other alias entries for this two names)

Malware

------------------------------

From: "Golomyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ip routing using EDGE single disk linux
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:30:11 GMT

Hi I'm usings the EDGE's single disk linux to do ip forwarding.  Everything
seems to work fine but it only last for a little while.  It appears that the
logs fill up and everything stops.  I can empty the logs manually and
everything seems to work fine.  Does anyone know the best way around this.
I've tried to schedule a job to this for me but i can't seem to get crontab
working.

Joe T.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for DE-528 PCI Ethernet card
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:47:10 -0000

Hi,
I've just spent 2 fruitless evenings trying to get a 3COM 3C509 card working
with linux 2.0.36.
Guess what: it works fine with W98, but that's another story.

Meanwhile, I have a D-Link DE-528 PCI Ethernet card in the cupboard. Perhaps
I should try that. It also works fine with W98. (Guess what OS I use to post
and read my news).

So, does anyone know what driver I can use to get my D-Link card working?

Failing that, since I got this ***** OS for free, perhaps I could afford to
shell out for yet another network card. What card does anyone recommend? It
must work with absolutely no trouble or I will jump up and down on it until
only small pieces are left.

Alex