Linux-Networking Digest #485, Volume #11         Thu, 10 Jun 99 17:14:13 EDT

Contents:
  NFS Mount problem (Mick Farmer)
  Re: I =?iso-8859-1?Q?can=B4t?= get an ip address with DHCP. (Dann Church)
  Re: Sharing shares across the Internet .. possible ?? (Dann Church)
  Please recommend a network rack that's affordable (FenderAXE)
  Re: Samba: Client for Novel and Microsoft Networks? ("Andrew Mc.Ghee")
  Re: nfs client problems with Sun solaris 251 server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problems with icmplog & partial solution ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: NETWORK NIGHTMARE (Sam Cable)
  Re: modem schmodem (Sam Cable)
  Re: rlogin/NIS (Dann Church)
  Re: Samba with W95 clients (Nicholas E Couchman)
  MP3網站更新 ("大恐龍")
  Trouble with Samba (Bob Miller)
  net-tools-1.5.x problem (Mark Johnson)
  mailx (ignore list) (K. B. Lee)
  ntop on rh6.0 problems ("BWhite")
  DHCP server. Need help getting it to work. ("Alan")
  Re: NFS Mount problem (Tim Haynes)
  Re: CVS on Linux ("Michael Faurot")
  Re: I'm Sooooo Close ("Leroy Banack")

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
From: mick@penguin (Mick Farmer)
Subject: NFS Mount problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:12:31 GMT

Hi,

I'm running RH5.2 and mounting a filesystem from Solaris
2.6.  However I issue the mount, either by hand or when
rebooting, I get the following error messages (on the
console and in syslog) although the mount succeeds.  Why?
People have asked this question before, but I can't find an
explanation.

Jun  9 13:16:54 penguin kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 111
Jun  9 13:16:54 penguin kernel: RPC: task of released request still queued!
Jun  9 13:16:54 penguin kernel: RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)
Jun  9 13:16:59 penguin kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 111
Jun  9 13:16:59 penguin kernel: RPC: task of released request still queued!
Jun  9 13:16:59 penguin kernel: RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)
Jun  9 13:17:04 penguin kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 111
Jun  9 13:17:04 penguin kernel: RPC: task of released request still queued!
Jun  9 13:17:04 penguin kernel: RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)
Jun  9 13:17:04 penguin kernel: lockd_up: no pid, 2 users??

Regards,

Mick

------------------------------

From: Dann Church <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I =?iso-8859-1?Q?can=B4t?= get an ip address with DHCP.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:41:25 -0600

Haven't had this problem myself, but there's been much discussion in this group
about DHCP and cable modems.  Many people have found that they have to reboot
the cable modem before booting into Linux because Windoze doesn't do a proper
release of the DHCP lease.

Good Luck!

--Dann Church

------------------------------

From: Dann Church <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharing shares across the Internet .. possible ??
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:44:21 -0600

You can share a filesystem across the internet using NFS, but for the
"Network Neighborhood" stuff, I think you need to run Samba.  Haven't
played with Samba at all myself, but I'm sure that there's some good
HOWTO's on it.

--Dann Church

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FenderAXE)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking
Subject: Please recommend a network rack that's affordable
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:38:44 GMT

Hi

I'm new to networking and need to buy an inexpensive network rack to
hold the patch panel, a hub, a monitor and a few other things --
nothing huge or expensive, just good and sturdy.  A recommendation on
where to purchase a rack would be terrific.

Also, I need two 24 port patch panels, but I know nothing about them.
Can you recommend a brand name and a place to buy them?

Thanks!

FA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Mc.Ghee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba: Client for Novel and Microsoft Networks?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 05:12:32 +1000

> Sherman &  Petrov,

Thanks for your email, (thanks Petrov re the netbeui as well). We have got it
working, as usual it was another small problem unbenownst to us. But, if I
haden't heard from either of you, I wouldn't have had the resolve to keep
trying different things. Thanks again, I owe both of you a beer if you ever
head down to Australia.

regards,

Andrew Mc.Ghee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: nfs client problems with Sun solaris 251 server
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:42:28 GMT

putting the tcp option for the nfs mounts in /etc/fstab seemed
to have corrected this problem. don't know why, maybe someone can
explain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Jonathan Johnson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: Re: Problems with icmplog & partial solution
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.turbolinux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:13:51 GMT

This is what I'd *like* to believe, but if I kill icmplog, wouldn't the
other machine still be pinging like crazy and still slowing down the
network? I kill icmplog and network improves dramatically... even on
unrelated machines. I restart icmplog and everything's OK...for a while.

Dan McNaul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jonathan,

> There isn't very much (or very good) documentation on icmplog, but with what
> there is I don't think icmplog transmits any network traffic.  Look for
> /usr/doc/iplogger-1.0 on your machine.  It looks like it only logs tcp and
> icmp requests to syslog.  It doesn't actually transmit or retransmit any
> network traffic.

> icmplog reports pings to your box.  Your syslog (via icmplog) should show
> you the ip address of the machine ping'ng you.  Find the box that is ping'ng
> you boo-koo times and stop it.  In other words, icmplog probably isn't the
> cause here, it is a symptom of a problem.

> McNaul

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
> >Hi, all!
> >
> >I've noticed a problem with icmplog. Apparently, sometimes it goes berserk
> >and starts flooding the network with icmp requests. I don't know why.

<snip>

------------------------------

From: Sam Cable <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NETWORK NIGHTMARE
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:44:18 -0500

Dzonsons wrote:

> Hi, I have several network problems.Im using RH 6.0.
>
> I can get my modem to dial into my ISP using minicom and
> it connects fine.
> Then after a few seconds it disconnects with the error message
> NO CARRIER
> I know that it isnt because I have a crappy modem, because It works fine
> under Windows (it isnt a winmodem either)
> Does anyone know any reasons why this is happening?

> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or even URLs for any FAQs
> relating to my my problems......Please help, because Im at my wits end with
> all of this (Im a newbie) and my ISP wont help.

I am having very similar problems.  If you get this fixed, PLEASE let me
know how.  In the mean time, if your server isn't accpeting your
configuration request, you might want to check and see that your
authentification stuff is set up correctly.  I have been told in
particular that if you are using PAP, then your char script should *not*
tell your modem to reply to the login and password prompts.

A couple of URLs that might help can be found in the links at the Red
Hat site.  Go to their "support" page and look around.

--Sam

------------------------------

From: Sam Cable <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem schmodem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:37:39 -0500

TwoSheds wrote:

> I want to connect to my ISP with RH6. I have a SupraMax modem. I think I've
> configured my PPP interface, etc, but I don't get any sort of sound out of
> my modem when I try to connect, although no error messages are reported.
>
> How do I test my modem?

This is coming from someone else who is having trouble.  I haven't been
able to make a connection myself, but here's something you can do to
test a few things with your modem.  Try to establish the ppp connection
with the tool "kppp".  It will bring up a window with several buttons
and some sequence of these buttons will allow you to activate the
connection.  Somewhere in there is a button that gives you the option of
displaying the connection log.  Select that option and active the
connection.  Another window will pop up to show what commands, prompts,
etc go through the modem.

Also, I think you might be able to turn on your modem's speakers by
running minicom and typing "ATM1" (speaker on until carrier) or "ATM2"
(speaker on, period).

--Sam

------------------------------

From: Dann Church <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rlogin/NIS
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:44:50 -0600

Jonathan,

Much more familiar with the Solaris setup of this, but try a man on rhosts.

Dann Church

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba with W95 clients
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:18:29 GMT

Answer (kind of) #1:  Make sure you have the home directories share enabled in
/etc/smb.conf.  That is all I can think of for that problem.  The new Samba is
kind of screwy.
Answer #2:  If you use the Win9x "Policy Editor," you can edit the registry
and disable password cacheing.  I think that should solve this problem.
Hope this stuff helps!!
--Nick

------------------------------

From: "大恐龍" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: tw.bbs.campus.job
Subject: MP3網站更新
Date: 10 Jun 1999 20:12:32 GMT

MP3網站更新
新增32首歌曲
  范文芳11首
  張惠妹10首
  徐懷鈺11首
http://come.to/aman66
還有完全免費的e-mail可以申請喔!!

------------------------------

From: Bob Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with Samba
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:35:17 -0400

I can't seem to be able to get Samba to work properly on my machine here
at work.  It's RedHat 6.0 with Samba v 2.0.4b.  I've got the same
configuration at home and can't get it to work well there, either.

It  does work if I'm connecting to a Win95 machine from Linux, and the
machine name for my Linux box ("Linux") is being broadcast to the Win95
machines.  The problem comes when I'm trying to connect to the Linux
shares from Win95's Network Neighborhood.

Here's my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 1999/06/10 14:52:04

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = DOMAIN
 netbios name = LINUX
 server string = Samba Server
 interfaces = 38.150.13.32/24
 security = SHARE
 map to guest = Bad User
 null passwords = Yes
 password level = 8
 username level = 8
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 local master = No
 dns proxy = No
 wins server = 38.150.13.34
 remote announce = 38.150.13.255

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 path = /home/%u
 read only = No

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 print ok = Yes
 browseable = No

[public]
 comment = Public Directory
 path = /home/public
 read only = No
 guest ok = Yes

As you can see, I used SWAT to configure this file.  I've manually
configured the file, I've used the new linuxconf to configure it, and
finally used SWAT.  Since it seems to be an authentication problem, I've
changed the security to all available options: share, server, and user.
I also have an NT system on the network, 38.150.13.34, which all users
authenticate to (I have a hybrid NetWare/NT network), but it still
didn't allow Win95 machines to connect.  I added every user and its
password to the Linux machine and set the security level to user, but
that didn't work, either.  Finally I tried share, which of course didn't
work.

I did have RedHat 5.2 working in the office just fine.  I upgraded the
Samba from the default that came with RedHat 6.0 to the newest, and I'm
even thinking of trying to go back to the one that shipped with 5.2
(1.9.8?).  Can anyone give me any suggestions?

In case it's necessary, here's my inetd.conf file:

# inetd.conf This file describes the services that will be available
#  through the INETD TCP/IP super server.  To re-configure
#  the running INETD process, edit this file, then send the
#  INETD process a SIGHUP signal.
#
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd -l -a
telnet stream  tcp  nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd
shell stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.rshd
login stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.rlogind
talk dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.talkd
ntalk dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ntalkd
finger stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.fingerd
auth   stream  tcp     nowait    nobody    /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd
-l -e -o
linuxconf stream tcp wait root /bin/linuxconf linuxconf --http
netbios-ssn stream tcp     nowait          root /usr/sbin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns  dgram  udp     wait            root /usr/sbin/nmbd nmbd
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat

Thanks!
-> Bob Miller, PALOMINO technologies

------------------------------

From: Mark Johnson <markj*no*spam*@gilanet.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: net-tools-1.5.x problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:11:18 -0600

I recently upgraded to the 2.2.9 kernel, and am now trying to upgrade
the net-tools package. Unfortunately, I get compilation errors, both
with 1.5.0 and 1.5.2.

The README/ INSTALL documents suggest that one answer "Y" to all the
config questions, except perhaps the one regarding NLS. When I did that
with 1.5.2, the error was that the file neteconet/ec.h couldn't be found
to be included by econet.c. So, I tried answering "N" to the econet
related config questions. Then I got other serious errors. So, I tried
again with 1.5.0, with similar results.

The top Makefile indicates that "the following lines should be
uncommented and editted if you're using libc5 and want IPv6 ...".
However, the lines were already uncommented. So, because I'm using glibc
I commented the lines out. No improvement.

Any ideas?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: mailx (ignore list)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (K. B. Lee)
Date: 09 Jun 1999 07:59:21 -0500

In reading mails using mailx, the ignore list does not have any effect.
I have the lines:
set append dot save asksub
ignore Received Message-Id Resent-Message-Id Status Mail-From Return-Path Via
in my /etc/mail.rc, but nothing happens. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Thanks,
-KB

------------------------------

From: "BWhite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ntop on rh6.0 problems
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:54:49 -0700

When I am running ntop on red hat 6.0 with the command line interface ( as
opposed to the web interface), I keep getting the snoop info being displayed
within and over top of the network info.  I have reinstalled, but the
problem persists.

Any one have a solution?

Thanks
Byron

------------------------------

From: "Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCP server. Need help getting it to work.
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:53:00 -0700

I'm running Red Hat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.2.9) on a dual Pentium 233 w 128mb
ram. Contains two 3Com 3c905 nics. One nic (eth0) is going to my cable
modem. The other (eth1) is going to my internal network.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of ISC's DHCP server. I'm
trying to get it to listen on eth1 (the nic going to my internal network)
and assign the range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200.

It repeatedly gets two erros which look exactly like this:

socket: Invalid Argument
Make sure to set CONFIG_PACKET=y and CONFIG_FILTER=y in your kernel
configuration!

I spent hours scouring the Internet, reading HOW-TO's, man pages, reference
books, and other stuff. I noticed that most documentation was basically a
copy of somebody else's documentation. They all said the same thing, which
wasn't much help.

There is no reference anywhere to the socket error. The only reference to
the CONFIG problem is the 'readme' that came with the dhcpd distribution and
it says to ask your local Linux guru for help and not to bother ISC about
it.

I've been working on this problem for 3 days now and I'm out of ideas.If
somebody knows how to fix this, or can point me in the direction of step by
step instructions on how to get DHCP working I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

------------------------------

From: Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: NFS Mount problem
Date: 10 Jun 1999 21:35:26 -0000

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:12:31 GMT, "Mick Farmer" <mick@penguin> doodled in
uk.comp.os.linux:

> I'm running RH5.2 and mounting a filesystem from Solaris 2.6.  However I
> issue the mount, either by hand or when rebooting, I get the following error
> messages (on the console and in syslog) although the mount succeeds.  Why?
> People have asked this question before, but I can't find an explanation.

> Jun  9 13:16:54 penguin kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 111

Error 111 means "Connection refused" so some tcp socket's not listening that
ought to be... or you've got some firewall blocking out secure ports (<1024)
in one direction, maybe?

> Jun  9 13:16:54 penguin kernel: RPC: task of released request still queued!

How many machines do you have connecting to this NFS server at once?

~Tim
 ___ http://www.glutinous.custard.org/ _______ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ____
| Geek Code: GCS dpu s-:+ a-- C++++ UBLUAVHSC++++ P+++ L++ E--- W+++(--) N++ |
| w--- O- M-- V-- PS PGP++ t--- X+(-) b D+ G e++(*) h++(*) r--- y-           |
|  .|` Clouds cross the black moonlight /                                    |
|      Rushing on down to the circle of the turning world .|`   (Runrig)     |
`----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

------------------------------

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CVS on Linux
Date: 10 Jun 1999 19:20:51 GMT

Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Has anyone out there gotten a CVS pserver running?  I you have please
: post how.

Take a look at the cvs.info-2 file.  It's located in the doc directory
that comes with the source.

 Michael | mfaurot  | You can't play your friends like marks, kid.
 Faurot  | atww.org |           -- Henry Gondorf, "The Sting"

------------------------------

From: "Leroy Banack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm Sooooo Close
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:08:03 -0700

Thanks guys ... I finally figured it out.

Swapping network cards and using a different IP address and gateway worked.
(I don't know why because the ip and gateway that were giving me problems
seems to work fine on my Mac)

Now I have my own web/ftp/mail/anonymous ftp/news/file server running out in
my laundry room.  No monitor attached .. I just use telnet from other PCs
and Macs in the house.

Thanks again,

Leroy.