From: "Jan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3C509B NIC Problem...try this ....
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:38:51 +0200

>            BTW I'm a newbie to Linux. I have a 3C905B card n is detcted by
>Redhat 5.2 perfectly. But it's not at all connecting to the network. I
can't
>understand abt. "disabling PnP". Can any one explain abt. tha same pl.

If it is detected, you dont need to disable PnP. If yo uwant to do that,
boot to DOS and use the 3c5x9cfg.exe util to disable pnp.

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: 7,e,1 chat 8,n,1 pppd?
Date: 10 Jun 1999 13:30:44 -0500

Mark & Candice White ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I need to connect to an isp that does its ppp
: with the port set to 8,n,1. But you must log
: in using 7,e,1.

: In a (sorry) windows dun script you can
: set it to 7,e,1 then look for 'ame:',and
: 'assword:' then set it back to 8,n,1.

You can try using the pppd connect option this way:

connect 'stty evenp parity > /dev/ttySx &&
original_connect_program_or_script &&
stty -evenp -parity > /dev/ttySx'

where ttySx is the modem's device file.  All on one line or eol escaped.
This is an ugly hack but it should be easy to try.

Read about the stty options in man stty.  More than likely you'll have
to make this change manually.  Not guaranteed either, I've not done this.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please recommend a network rack that's affordable
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:24:09 GMT

FenderAXE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> I'm new to networking and need to buy an inexpensive network rack to
> hold the patch panel, a hub, a monitor and a few other things --
> nothing huge or expensive, just good and sturdy.  A recommendation on
> where to purchase a rack would be terrific.

   I live in a rather large city <Houston> and we have a lot of new and
udes music shops.  Synth and amp racks are also 19 in, and usually look
better in the house.  Also, they can be had for cheap from starving
musicians. :-)

> Also, I need two 24 port patch panels, but I know nothing about them.
> Can you recommend a brand name and a place to buy them?

   Hubble is about the best brand, and they charge accordingly.  Belkin
also has some good stuff.  Make sure you also get real cat 5 cable, and
connect it right.  If you don't understand what I am saying, hire someone.
Bad cables can be a miserable problem.

                        Lee
--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: "Mark Swope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What NIC to buy for Linux machine?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:28:15 -0500

Linksys cards are a good buy. I've seen their 10/100baseT versions
on sale for $29.99 (sometimes about 12.99 after a rebate).
Work great after you tell them not to do PNP...

mas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Tso)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: PPTP + Samba ? (and NAT)
Date: 09 Jun 1999 12:10:28 PDT

        Does anyone have PPTP + Samba working on a Linux or FreeBSD box
such that Win95 clients can dialup the Internet via their ISP's and connect to
Samba on a remote Unix host (Linux or FreeBSD) as a SMB fileserver via
the PPTP VPN ?
        Is there a better way to allow remote Win95 clients to dialup the
Internet and use a Samba host ?

        FreeBSD: Does FreeBSD natd/IP aliasing handle PPTP or IPsec
correctly ? (I understand that Linux IP masq deals with PPTP and IPsec
correctly such that Win95 clients sitting behind a Linux gateway/NAT
can go out onto the Internet and connect up properly with a remote
host using PPTP VPN).

        Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Jack Zhu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: pppd doesn't work
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:08:18 -0400

I used Redhat 5.0(Kernel 2.0.32) + pppd 2.2.0 to dialup to my ISP. It works
well. Then I upgrade kernel to 2.2.1, obviously it doesn't work with pppd
2.2.0. (This point is very hard to be found in these Kernel documents). So I
also upgrade my pppd to 2.3.6 by following the instructions.

The nightmare is: I use the same scripts, same configuration and same dialup
number. This time the combination of kernel and pppd doesn't work. When I
try to call "pppd", the error message is:

"/usr/sbin/pppd: peer authentication required, but no suitable secret(s)
found
 /usr/sbin/pppd: for authenticating any peer to us.(abc)"

"abc" is my logname to my ISP.

Why this happen? I do have a pap-secret file, and everything works just well
in the earlier version.

Actually, the funny thing is: when I just run "pppd", the same error message
still comes.

Thanks a lot, please email me.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Lenny grosso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gurus: PPP, 2.2 kernels, and Ricochet modems working wierd
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:17:28 -0500

Didn't Redhat 5.2 come with the 2.0.36 kernel though?

Lenny

Chris Kacoroski wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
Hi,

I have a ricochet modem that works fine with 1.3.x kernels (redhat 5.2,
etc.) and NT.  With the 2.2.x kernels (redhat 6.0) it connects, dns
works, traceroute works, and ping works, but nothing else.  See below
for some more background info.  Appreciate any help or clues as to how
to fix this.

thanks

ski

====================================
I have the ppp connection that will not allow any services to work, but
does allow ping and traceroute to work.  I have redhat 6.0.  I ran
tcpdump and got

[root@ski /root]# !tcp
tcpdump -i ppp0
tcpdump: listening on ppp0

My address is 206.253.200.54.  I entered ftp ftp.scenicsoft.com and it
checks the DNS to get the ip address of the ftp site.

17:13:56.546063 206.253.200.54.1027 > 168.253.48.19.domain: 65107+ A?
ftp.scenicsoft.com. (36)
17:13:57.087508 168.253.48.19.domain > 206.253.200.54.1027: 65107 1/4/2
(198) (DF)

It then starts the ftp connection.

17:13:57.088387 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: S
1278992700:1278992700(0) win 32120 <mss 1460,sackOK,timestamp 175405
0,nop,wscale 0> (DF)

and I get a reply from the ftp machine.

17:13:57.487511 192.67.96.5.ftp > 206.253.200.54.1046: S
488046:488046(0) ack 1278992701 win 8760 <mss 1460> (DF)
17:13:57.497561 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: . ack 1 win 32120
(DF)

at this point it printed that it was connected to ftp.scenicsoft.com,
but then
it hung.  I did not get an ftp prompt. I then killed the ftp process and
it printed the lines below.

17:14:09.583929 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: F 1:1(0) ack 1
win 32120 (DF) [tos 0x10]
17:14:09.947509 192.67.96.5.ftp > 206.253.200.54.1046: F 80:80(0) ack 2
win 8760 (DF)
17:14:09.957589 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: R
1278992702:1278992702(0) win 0

====================================

Eric Livingston wrote:

> |I have the ppp connection that will not allow any services to work, but
> |does allow ping and traceroute to work.  I have redhat 6.0.  I ran
> |tcpdump and got
>
> I am getting the exact same behaviour. I really think this is a problem
with
> the 2.2.x kernel!
>
> I recently (and foolishly) took my old, reliable RH5.1 box (w/2.0.36 on
it)
> and blew it away completely, in order to "upgrade" to Caldera OpenLinux
2.2
> to see what it was about (it ships with 2.2.5). I immediately got the
> problem described in detail in the previous message above. I even tried
the
> same tcpdump routine on my own and got the exact same behaviour from ping
> and ftp.
>
> So, I figured it must be Caldera and this was some kind of punishment for
> switching distributions. So, I blew that away and installed a
brand-spanking
> new copy of RH6.0. (Not, however, before trying to recompile the 2.2.5
> kernel with minimal options to see if that helped - it didn't)
>
> I proceeded to get the exact same problem. This issue goes beyond Red Hat:
> This problem is shared by at least Caldera's 2.2.5 release.
>
> I am now (as I type) in the process of compiling 2.2.9, and I'm hoping it
> may solve this problem. If not, I really do think something is amiss.
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE: I know it's not merely a configuration issue with pppd or
> ipchains or something, because I have another modem that works perfectly
on
> the same serial port as the errant modem (which worked great with 2.0.36).
> In fact, I'm using that other modem for my (masqueraded) session right now
> to write and send this e-mail. So the basic setup of my system is quite
> functional. It's just that some modems seem to simply fail with the new
> kernel.
>
> I REALLY hope there's a solution soon, or 2.2.9 saves my day... it won't
be
> another week before I can't wait any longer and I'll have to blow away
RH6.0

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  425-355-6655
ScenicSoft, 1133 164 Street SW, Lynnwood WA, 98037, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremiah)
Subject: Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:46:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yuki Taga) spake thusly:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:50:26 GMT, in article
> <6CG73.1408$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Jeremiah) wrote:
>
>>      MS provides limited support to their customers too...  and
>>somehow this is enough?
>
> I like Linux, kind of, <g> so now that that's out of the way, the
> thing is that M$ users don't *need* that much support

        Heh heh... yeah, right.  MS gets away with it for a couple
reasons:  a) they foist the support off onto OEMs, b) generally,
clueless Windows users know someone more knowledgeable than themselves
who can help them, and c) if things really go wrong, in some cases all
you can do is reinstall from scratch (or buy a new computer).  I know two
people who (within the last month) had to reinstall Windows from scratch;
one bought a new computer because the old one was completely messed up.
(I tend to think b) is the most important of these... )
        Having been witness to a few people who are brand new to
computers (I mean literally brand new), I conclude that most people do
not find Windows (and computers in general) "easy".

>  Anyone with just very basic skills and not any in-depth technical
> knowledge can install and configure Windows with just a little trial
> and error, maybe.

        Yeah, right.  Dream on.

> Users are met with a barrage of ways of
> accomplishing the same task.  It takes years and years to understand all
> the possibilities and systems, if indeed that can ever be accomplished.
> Multiply this by the hundreds or thousands of tools available in Linux,
> and figure that the subgroups all eventually keep splitting time after
> time, and you end up with this almost impentrable mess.  It produces
> some great software.  But it also produces mass confusion.

        I remember watching TV after the Soviet Union fell...  the
reporter was asking an old woman (who had lived under Communist rule
her whole life) what she thought... it went something like this:

Reporter:  Isn't freedom great?  You can vote for whoever you want!
Woman:  How do I know who to vote for?

        Maybe you're right... maybe people really do want to be told
that there's only one way to do something, and that they should learn
to love it.  Personally, I like the choice...

> Instead, you get Gnome, which is nice, but when
> you press the "Start" button, you get a maze of menu selections that
> would daunt all but the most seasoned user.  "Another Level" menus?
> "KDE" menus?  I suppose they left off "AfterStep" menus because they
> simply ran out of desktop space.  <vbg>  Really.

        Heh... too *many* apps.  That's a new one.

>>      I use Xinvest.  I don't bother with "checkbook balancing" programs.
>
> I checked this out.  It's a toy compared with professional apps.  <g>
> I mean really.  It's a toy.  Balancing a checkbook is about all it's
> good for.

        I agree, but it serves my purposes.  Besides, why would a home
user need a "professional app"?

Brian

--
email to bmeloon1 at twcny dot rr dot com.  evilquaker is a spam collector.

------------------------------

From: "Gregory D. Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SOHO fast eithernet kit and linux
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 03:34:37 -0400

The best advise I can offer is to use either NE2000-compatible or a 3Com
NIC (ISA/EISA/PCI).  The NE2000-compatible can be purchased very
inexpensively and work flawlessly with Linux.  If you intend to use
10-Base-T (RJ-45 CAT5) cabling you will need a hub unless you use a
cross-over cable instead of a straight-through cable.  If you intend to
use 10-Base-2 (coaxial) cabling no hub will be necessary.  Also,
depending where the two computers will be located relative to each other
in the house, there are a number of network kits available which allow
you to utilize the electrical wiring in the house as the transmission
conduit.  Unfortunately, I tossed out the printed issue of The Computer
Paper (TCP) (http://www.tcp.ca1999/9905/toc/) containing articles on
these products.

Regards,

Gregory D. Horne
Information Technology Architect
The Network Laboratorium (NetLab)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,linux.samba,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Time corrupted using Samba
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:21:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I use Suse Linux 6.1 combined with an NT 4.0-Server.
> I can print and mount the directory of the NTserver.
> The problem is that all file and directory dates seen from Linux on the
> NT-server are
> completly nonsense, and alle files I write from Linux to the server get
> a date that is nonsense
> seen from NT too.

wrong time/date or nonsense time/date ?

peter

=================
pilsl@
ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

------------------------------

From: Duckie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: NT DHCP server and a lonely Linux box... :(
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:24:19 +0200

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, HellNo wrote:

> I can't find dhclient... where do you run it from?  Let me know what
> you did.

Try dhcpcd, it's a small easy dhcp client daemon.

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/DHCP.html

> > HellNo wrote in message <7jllmj$hp5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >Could anyone tell me if a NT box with a DHCP range be able to assign
> an
> > >ip address to a lonely linux box...
> > >
> > >If not, what should I do?  A static address is not an option.  Why
> do I
> > >have the feeling SAMBA is going to come up in the reply...
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Ed.
> > >
> > >--
> > >HellNo
> > >e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >ICQ: 21535717

--Duckie
Slashdot: News for nerds. Stuff that matters.
http://www.slashdot.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sami Farin)
Subject: Re: Simple way to detect if network is active?
Date: 10 Jun 1999 07:53:56 GMT

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:59:07 +0100,
Darren Durbin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you know that a particular IP address is in use on your network that
>you could try something like
>
>       pppup=`ping -c 1 x.x.x.x | grep '100%'`
>
>Where x.x.x.x is an address you know to be 'pingable' on your network.
>
>Not an ideal solution, and it will introduce something like a 6s delay (
>on this machine ) when not on the network upon running the script

if 6s is too much, netcat can be used:
nc -z -w 1 ns.local.net 53 && echo "it is up"
here '-w 1' means 1s timeout for connections.
port number must be in LISTEN-state.

http://www.l0pht.com/~weld/netcat/

--
Safari - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGP key 0x443BD271 - http://surf.to/safari
 "One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

From: "Jan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:40:54 +0200

>No need to benchmark Linux (and spend a lot of $$ doing so) when M$
>itself considers it a threat and a serious competitor in the server
>market ;) _specially_ against NT.

I'm sorry, but you can NOT be so narrow minded. You will NOT be able to
convince "higher powers" to deploy a mission critical database (for
instance) on a platform that does not have a proven track record (and
therefore has benchmarks) I've read the h-report. And tell me, in what way
does it relate to anything i wrote in my post?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yuki Taga)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:30:21 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:46:55 GMT, in article
<P3K73.1416$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Jeremiah) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yuki Taga) spake thusly:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:50:26 GMT, in article
>> <6CG73.1408$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (Jeremiah) wrote:
>>
>>>     MS provides limited support to their customers too...  and
>>>somehow this is enough?
>>
>> I like Linux, kind of, <g> so now that that's out of the way, the
>> thing is that M$ users don't *need* that much support
>
>       Heh heh... yeah, right.  MS gets away with it for a couple
>reasons:  a) they foist the support off onto OEMs, b) generally,
>clueless Windows users know someone more knowledgeable than themselves
>who can help them, and c) if things really go wrong, in some cases all
>you can do is reinstall from scratch (or buy a new computer).  I know two
>people who (within the last month) had to reinstall Windows from scratch;
>one bought a new computer because the old one was completely messed up.
>(I tend to think b) is the most important of these... )
>       Having been witness to a few people who are brand new to
>computers (I mean literally brand new), I conclude that most people do
>not find Windows (and computers in general) "easy".

I think you're remembering about 3-5 years ago, or longer.  A talented ape can
install Windows98.  The ape can probably be illiterate  <g>  if it can
understand icons.

>>  Anyone with just very basic skills and not any in-depth technical
>> knowledge can install and configure Windows with just a little trial
>> and error, maybe.
>
>       Yeah, right.  Dream on.

I'm afraid you're the one who is dreaming.  It happens thousands if not tens of
thousands of times daily around this planet.  How do you think they got 250-300
million units (conservative estimate) installed?  Consultants?  Tech support?
Don't make me giggle.

>> Users are met with a barrage of ways of
>> accomplishing the same task.  It takes years and years to understand all
>> the possibilities and systems, if indeed that can ever be accomplished.
>> Multiply this by the hundreds or thousands of tools available in Linux,
>> and figure that the subgroups all eventually keep splitting time after
>> time, and you end up with this almost impentrable mess.  It produces
>> some great software.  But it also produces mass confusion.
>
>       I remember watching TV after the Soviet Union fell...  the
>reporter was asking an old woman (who had lived under Communist rule
>her whole life) what she thought... it went something like this:
>
>Reporter:  Isn't freedom great?  You can vote for whoever you want!
>Woman:  How do I know who to vote for?
>
>       Maybe you're right... maybe people really do want to be told
>that there's only one way to do something, and that they should learn
>to love it.  Personally, I like the choice...

Choice is nice.  But it does have the ability to overwhelm.  Like I said,
strength can be a weakness, too.

>> Instead, you get Gnome, which is nice, but when
>> you press the "Start" button, you get a maze of menu selections that
>> would daunt all but the most seasoned user.  "Another Level" menus?
>> "KDE" menus?  I suppose they left off "AfterStep" menus because they
>> simply ran out of desktop space.  <vbg>  Really.
>
>       Heh... too *many* apps.  That's a new one.

No, not too many apps.  Too much duplication of the same idea.  Most of these
menu items are duplicates or triplicates.  And some point to outdated devices,
like Red Hat's Control-Panel, which even they don't use anymore.

>>>     I use Xinvest.  I don't bother with "checkbook balancing" programs.
>>
>> I checked this out.  It's a toy compared with professional apps.  <g>
>> I mean really.  It's a toy.  Balancing a checkbook is about all it's
>> good for.
>
>       I agree, but it serves my purposes.  Besides, why would a home
>user need a "professional app"?

Depends on who the user is, I guess.  <vbg>

Yuki ^_^

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NETWORK NIGHTMARE
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:35:41 -0700

Hello,

Regarding your proxy server problem:

try to use IP address instead of Internet name for your proxy server.

While online: nslookup name.of .your.proxy

This will give you an IP address of that server.

Good luck!

news:7jojeh$qii$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jack Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: via-rhine
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:46:21 +0000

>From which version, the kernel includes the via-rhine network card
driver.

I use LInux 2.0.32. Where can I get the driver? And the install
instruction?

I follow the instruction in
"http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/modules.html" :

gcc  -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -O6 -c driver.c

It doesn't work, said I should use the correct options to compile.

Any idea? THanks in advance.

Jack