Linux-Networking Digest #486, Volume #10         Sat, 13 Mar 99 22:13:36 EST

Contents:
  Re: Any  Masquerading Guru's out there? (Paul Colquhoun)
  Re: XDMCP ("william R. Mattil")
  Re: Linux programming jobs? (Jacob Gladish)
  Re: IPchains and Masq in 2.2.1 kernel (Malware)
  Re: NCFTP question... (Mike Redan)
  Re: tunnel http requests ("John Hardin")
  Re: Firewll/proxy setup ("John Hardin")
  Re: Ad filter? (Colin Guillas)
  Re: ftpd and telnetd problems (L J Bayuk)
  Re: IPchains and Masq in 2.2.1 kernel ("Douglas J. Olivier")
  Sendmail 8.9.2 and nodns ?? (Frank Luedke)
  Re: ipchains and port-forwarding assistance reqd. (Chris Wilson)
  WHERE ARE THE NETWORK GURUS? PROBLEM w/ iproute2 - multiple ipmasq (Christoph
Haberberger)
  Re: Problems with NE2000 network card. ("Paul Bary")
  Re: Linux NT4 problems (David Kirkpatrick)
  Modem busy (RDC)
  Firewall and proxy ("Jean-R嶲inald Louis")
  Re: Please help.  Sendmail not delivering local mail on Linux (John Gotts)
  Re: netgear EA201 network card ("liam toh")
  Network Administration for a standalone system ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Any  Masquerading Guru's out there?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 00:41:04 GMT

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:34:40 GMT, GSM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|Background:
|    I am running Suse kernel 2.2.3 and have the requisite  config files
|in the kernel for ipchains:
|CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
|CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
|CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
|CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_CHAINS=y
|CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
|CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
|
|I see two NICs with boot (from dmesg :  eth0: VIA VT3043 Rhine at
|0xd000, 00:80:c8:e6:52:59, IRQ 3. eth0: MII PHY found at address 8,
|status 0x782d advertising 05e1 Link 0000. PCI latency timer (CFLT) is
|unreasonably low at 32.  Setting to 64 clocks. eth1: VIA VT3043 Rhine at
|0xb800, 00:80:c8:e6:38:70, IRQ 10. eth1: MII PHY found at address 8,
|status 0x7809 advertising 05e1 Link 0000.
|
|Problem:  How does one setup IPchains to allow filtering and setting up
|of class C reserved names with IPchains ie I want to masquarade the
|clients on the internal lan ? I have a static IP for linux box/hub and a
|couple of clients on a small baseT LAN.
|
|Therefore can any network gurus out there answer:
|
|1.How to setup private network that is assigned 192.168.1.* addresses,
|with my host being 192.168.1.0, and the firewall's Ethernet interface
|being assigned 192.168.1.1.
|
|2. How does one setup the  firewall  to masquerade any packets coming
|from the private network and going to port 80 on an Internet host.
|
|3.Configure Netscape  to be connect directly.
|
|4.Setup DNS  correctly on the private network.
|
|5. Set the  firewall as the default route (aka gateway) for the private
|network.

Have a look at the automated setup scripts available from
http://www.nerdherd.org/ipchains/

They cover the most common cases.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: "william R. Mattil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XDMCP
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:05:58 -0600

Ray Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my X-desktop to show up on a remote X server (like Exceed
> running on a remote PC).
>
> Anybody know how to do this? Assuming that it is possible, users can log
> into a Linux server over the network and see a complete GUI desktop. I'm
> using KDE right now, but I think that this is a X/networking question
> involving XDMCP.
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
>
> -Ray

I use CDE with Linux and with exceed I can get the entire CDE desktop as well
as the login screen(s). Rather trivial to set up too. Just set the options.in
exceed accordingly.

Regards
Bill--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Ginger had to do it all backwards
(972) 256-3219          | and... in high heels.

------------------------------

From: Jacob Gladish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux programming jobs?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:27:00 -0500

> level of education. In addition no degree course in computer science I
> have ever seen has covered things like time/memory efficent implementation
> of algorithms.

        not that I got to the hottest cs school around, but I would have
thought big O referred to the "Original" French Fry joint here in
pittsburgh without taking these classes.

http://www.cs.pitt.edu/UgEdu/courses/cs1501.htm
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/UgEdu/courses/cs1510.htm

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPchains and Masq in 2.2.1 kernel
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:55:44 +0100

Hi Douglas,

you wrote:
> I can telnet to and from all the machine behind the router but cannot get
> out of the local net except from the router. Everthing seems to checkout
> fine per the ipchains howto.

Did you enable IP forwarding by "echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"?

Malware

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Redan)
Subject: Re: NCFTP question...
Date: 14 Mar 1999 01:17:33 GMT

Estimated Time of Arrival
or how long it'll take for you to download(upload) that file.

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tunnel http requests
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:28:57 -0800

TROESTLER Christophe wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi everybody,
>
>I have an account on a remote Unix machine which is in a network with
>access to some local Web services.  I can launch a remote Netscape on my
>X display but this is really SLOW.  I was thinking that maybe there is
>some utility that I could use to route the http requests of my machine so
>they appear like coming from the remote host (sort of "tunneling" them
>through that host).  I guess that should produce a much more economic
>traffic.  Anybody has any idea in that direction?
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated.  (Please, forward a copy of your
>message to [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
>Bye,
>Chris

You could use SSH's port routing features to route a port pointing at the
remote webserver.

Something like:

  ssh -f -L 8080:www.remote.com:80

then browse:

  http://localhost:8080/path/to/web/page.html

This would also have the benefit of compressing and encrypting the traffic.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewll/proxy setup
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:32:26 -0800

Steve Terrell wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Can someone tell me where I can find software for firewall/proxy server
>setup for use with a dial up connection.
>
>I have tried FireDoor and it seems to work good, but was wondering if
>there are any others out there.
>
>Thanks
>Steve Terrell
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You might want to look at http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/ipfwadm.html for
a wrapper around the built-in packet filtering.

And for your proxy needs take a look at squid. Search for it at
http://freshmeat.net/appindex/

From: Colin Guillas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ad filter?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:31:15 -0500

Well, since we're in a linux newsgroup, I was implying a proxy that would run on
my linux server. :-P That's OK, though... I have found a modified version of the
InterNet Junkbuster which does exactly what I want and need, and quickly, too.
:)

There were two other solutions that I found, Muffin and RabbIT... Muffin was to
minimalistic (it took away almost everything from webpages, including background
images) and RabbIT just wouldn't run on my machine... both required java, which
I have decided, in the end, that I can't spare resources to. I want something
binary compiled, just for my processor, like junkbuster, in order to make the
most efficient us out of the little 486 box. Thanks!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You should absolutely download InterQuick software... it will completely
> filter out pop-up windows, banner advertisements, background sounds, etc. And
> it is completely configurable to your liking. It does a number of other
> bandwidth- optimizing things as well (pre-fetch, etc.).
>
> Try it, it's great. http://www.interquick.com/
>
> -MR
>
> > Colin Guillas schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >Hi! I have seen products for NT Servers which can be configured to block
> > out ad
> > >banners from known web sites of banners, such as doubleclick.net on
> > altavista,
> > >and replace them with another banner of your choice that is loaded faster
> > off of
> > >the server.  This is used to skim pennies in a corporate environment where
> > the
> > >internet fees are based on the bandwidth used, and for modem users it is
> > >beneficial because it skims a few seconds off of the loading time.

| Colin Guillas        Ringmaster For Commodore Ring |
| http://welcome.to/cbmring    [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
+----| ICQ#: 19683759 |-----| Ham Radio: VA3CSG |----+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: ftpd and telnetd problems
Date: 14 Mar 1999 01:29:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>I'm running Kernel 2.0.36 (RedHat 5.2), and am having trouble establishing a
>telnet or ftp session to my linux machine from another machine on our local
>network.
>
>I can telnet and ftp to myself from the linux box, but telnet and ftp
>sessions are refused from an outside machine (all connections are allowed in
>the hosts.allow file since this network isn't connected to the rest of the
>world).  In the logs, whenever an ftp connection is attempted from another
>machine, I see an assortment of errors like:
>
>ftpd[4776]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Transport endpoint is not connected
>
>I had no problems telnet'ing or ftp'ing to this machine a few weeks ago.
>Reboots don't fix the problem.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>T.S.
>
>Also, incidentally, (on a possibly unrelated note), whenever any other
>machine pings the win98 crapbox, we get two additional duplicate packets
>returned, about 1.5ms apart. What might be causing this?

Dumb first thought of mine: Might you have a duplicate IP address
assigned? Can you look at "arp -a" output and verify MAC address
and IP address assignments?

------------------------------

From: "Douglas J. Olivier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:57:32 -0500

Yes sorry i didnt add that

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Luedke)
Subject: Sendmail 8.9.2 and nodns ??
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:09:27 GMT

 I have a UUCP-system with an dial-on-demand, and now I
 upgraded to sendmail 8.9.2 (it was time - the version
 before was 8.8.5).

 Now the "FEATURE(nodns)" does not exist anymore, sendmail
 told me that I should use the file /etc/service.switch
 to avoid dns checking, when I send an email via uucp.

 But I haven't found any informations how to build such a
 service.switch file nor any examples. And in the
 FAQ (Q3.22) there is just the hint, that I have to
 use the service.switch file to avoid DNS checking, but
 no sight of how to create such a file.

 Can someone help ?

 Thanks in advance ...
                        Frank

--
Every generation has a legend ...       Star Wars_________
Every journey has a first step ...       E P I S O D E  I

------------------------------

From: Chris Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ipchains and port-forwarding assistance reqd.
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 02:18:03 +0000

Robin Cull wrote:

> failed so far).  My Windoze machine (with IP 192.168.0.101) is running
> the server on port 8000 and will accept connections up to port 8005.
> My Linux box (with adapters eth0: 192.168.0.100 and ppp0:
> my.fixed.ip.addy) needs to take connecttions on ports 8000-5 and
> forward them directly (transparantly) to the equivalents on the PC.
[...]
> What additional rules would I need to add to allow the incoming
> connections to the PC?  I guessed something like:
>
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -b -s my.fixed.ip.addy 8000:8005 -d
> 192.168.0.101 8000:8005
>
> But this seems not to work.  Has anyone got any suggestions?

This has me stumped, but then I read the HOWTO. ;-) What you need to do
is port forwarding, which is now controlled by the ipmasqadm tool -
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/4869/ - download, compile,
enjoy.
--
   Chris Wilson - spam to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
How's Dougal? Linux 2.2.2-ac7

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christoph Haberberger)
Subject: WHERE ARE THE NETWORK GURUS? PROBLEM w/ iproute2 - multiple ipmasq
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:28:15 GMT

Hi!

I found no useful information for my problem in several Linux mailing
lists, so I post here. I read the Mini-HOWTO for the iproute2-package,
but it didn't help me really. Perhaps someone can help me, because I
need a solution for my office! :)

My problem:

I have a Linux machine which should be acting as a masquerading
firewall for 3 internal LANs (192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x, 192.168.3.x),
_but_ through 3 different official Internet-IPs, so that fom outside
each Internet-IP can be associated with an internal LAN.

e.g.:
      "machine itself" ---> 195.1.1.10
192.168.1.0/24 ---> gw ---> 195.1.1.11
192.168.2.0/24 ---> gw ---> 195.1.1.12
192.168.3.0/24 ---> gw ---> 195.1.1.13

IPCHAINS can't do that, so I downloaded iproute2 and now I use 'ip'
instead of route, ifconfig and IPCHAINS.
But I don't know how to solve my problem with 'ip'. It worked for a
short time for one network, but not really :((.

Perhaps someone knows the answer for my problem (it seems, that the
new kernel can handle what I want).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Christoph Haberberger

x-base IT&Media Datenverarbeitungsges.m.b.H.
Vienna / Austria / Europe
http://www.x-base.com

P.S.:

My config now:

every interface stuff in table LOCAL (in former times handled by
ifconfig)

every routing stuff in table MAIN (in former times handled by route)

and where should I put my stuff??? (just masq-rule or routing too????)

THANKS AGAIN!!

------------------------------

From: "Paul Bary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with NE2000 network card.
Date: 14 Mar 1999 01:51:07 GMT

Cheap NE2000 cards can be problematic as some do not adhere standards.
Assuming you have
one that will work you may want to try differnt port and irq settings. You
will need to reconfigure the card by booting fro a DOS floppy and running
the confiuration software. Oddly enough, many NE2000 cards are
configured to the same IRQ/Port settings  used by Com2 as the factory
default. I have found the irq=10,
port=300, (another common configuration) to be problematic on some machines
too. I have one box that
will only see n ISA Ne2000 card if is is configured to port=280, irq=9
.....all other eligible combinations fail.
So you may want to do some experimenting...If all else fails you may be in
the market for a new card.

Paul
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux NT4 problems
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:13:38 +0000

AGM,

agm wrote:

> When I use Samba 2.0.0 to connect to the Windows NT 4 computer over
> the network I get the following error message:
>
> root @LINUX /root]# smbclient -L nt4_server
> params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration
> file: *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
> Added interface ip=192.0.0.190 bcast=192.0.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> [root @LINUX /root]#

The password your giving I think is not registered.  Have you setup
smbpasswd?
  See man smbpasswd.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: RDC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem busy
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:58:37 -0500

Hi!
I just installed Caldera's OpenLinux 1.3.
In KDE I setup an isp connection.
When I try to connect i get an "modem busy" message.
Does anyone know what this problem could be.
thanks in advance for any help.
Rich

------------------------------

From: "Jean-R嶲inald Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewall and proxy
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:42:27 -0500

Can someone point me somewhere on the definition of a firewall and a proxy
please!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gotts)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: Please help.  Sendmail not delivering local mail on Linux
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 00:08:39 GMT

Please take a look at my sendmail mini HOWTO:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts/linux/sendmail-8.9.x-mini-howto

--
John GOTTS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts

------------------------------

From: "liam toh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netgear EA201 network card
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:22:50 -0800

yes ,I have the EA201 working, I used the NE2000 ISA drivers

Net device            eth0
Kernal module      ne
I/O port                0x300

worked for me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Network Administration for a standalone system
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 02:51:34 GMT

Hello- I am attempting to setup networking for a standalone system using a
modem dialing into an ISP.  What sections of the Network Administrator's
Guide do I need to focus on?  Also is there some other reference that I can
study that covers this in a little more detail?  The Administrator's Guide
touches on subjects but it doesn't seem to really cover the topics in detail.
 Any other suggestions? Thanks [EMAIL PROTECTED]