From: Christian Reuss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:15:22 +0200

hi chris

i am actually using suses 6.1 distribution. i've got a 3com 3c905b-tx-
ethernet-card (maybe the same that you're using). its working fine at my
place. i compiled the 3com-support into the kernel and the 3c590
(vortex)
support as a module. at the next boot time it was recognized with any
problems.

bye
christian

------------------------------

From: Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Confused - DHCP/DSL - no default route
Date: 25 Jul 1999 23:02:17 GMT

Doug Kelly wrote:

> I've had US West DSL up and running for about 8 months now, and have
> been extremely happy with it. I've got masquerading set up for a couple
> boxes on my private network, and everyone is happy.
>
> But...
>  I took a look at my routing tables, and there is no default route set
> up.  I had assumed that dhcpcd would set up a default route , but I'm
> now a bit confused as to how Linux routes things if there is no
> default.  It doesn't appear to matter which order the interfaces are
> configured, the routing works either way.
>  Looking in /etc/dhcpcd/hostinfo-eth1 it appears that a ROUTER parameter
> is being sent, and setting up the default route with this as the gateway
> doesn't hurt anything, but I guess I can't be certain it's actually
> doing anything either.
>
> So, I'm not having any problems, but I'm now just a bit uncomfortable
> that things aren't working the way I thought they were.  Any
> enlightenment is appreciated.

Doug,

        I'm not sure I understand.  I assume you have a configuration like this:

dhcp client ---+

dhcp client ---+  +--------------+
               |  | DHCP server  |
               +--| IP Router    |--- DSL Modem ... ?   ? ... remote host
dhcp client ---+  | (runs Linux) |
               |  +--------------+
dhcp client ---+

Where dhcp client is any machine that gets its network parameters from DHCP; could be
linux,
solaris, Windose/9x, Windows/NT, RSX-11, etc.  I assume that the DHCP server is also
the IP router
and the firewall and the webserver and the ftp server and the mail server and the....
but it really
does't have to be.

The test of whether or not it is working is whether the dhcp clients can access remote
host
somehow.  If they can, and it sounds to me like they can, then that's fine.  If they
can NOT, then
you have a problem and should come back and we'll take a longer look at it.

It would be helpful if you would post your /etc/dhcpd.conf file and also the results
of netstat -r
on both the DHCP server and the DHCP clients.

Jeff

 --
Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband,
father etc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IP forwarding.
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:19:15 GMT

You would use the ipchains command
You may also (I believe) access or set up forwarding routes in
linuxconf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: PPP Error
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:01:23 GMT

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 05:42:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am trying to connect to my ISP from my Red Hat linux 6.0.
>I used the netcfg tool to setup the ppp. Looking at the syslog messages
>it appears that the connection is made but fails after .6 mins saying
>
>Jul 24 21:45:18 localhost pppd[621]: LCP: timeout sending
>Config-Requests
>Jul 24 21:45:18 localhost pppd[621]: Connection
>terminated.
>Jul 24 21:45:18 localhost pppd[621]: Connect time 0.6 minutes.
>
>Jul 24 21:45:18 localhost pppd[621]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
>clean:
>Jul 24 21:45:18 localhost pppd[621]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
>
>Any idea is to how I can correct this?

This is quoted directly from the FAQ file included in the pppd source
code file:

Q: When I try to establish a connection, I get an error message saying
"Serial link is not 8-bit clean".  Why?

A: The most common cause is that your connection script hasn't
successfully dialled out to the remote system and invoked ppp service
there.  Instead, pppd is talking to something (a shell or login
process on the remote machine, or maybe just the modem) which is only
outputting 7-bit characters.

This can also arise with a modem which uses an AT command set if the
dial command is issued before pppd is invoked, rather than within a
connect script started by pppd.  If the serial port is set to 7
bits/character plus parity when the last AT command is issued, the
modem serial port will be set to the same setting.

Note that pppd *always* sets the local serial port to 8 bits per
character, with no parity and 1 stop bit.  So you shouldn't need to
issue an stty command before invoking pppd.

For some more good reading, the pppd software can be found here:

ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/pub/

A search of http://www.deja.com may provide more useful answers.

--
Frank Hahn

An artist should be fit for the best society and keep out of it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: Samba browsing problem
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:17:16 GMT

 "William" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I got problem on browsing Samba server on NT or 9X station.  My setting for
>smb.conf is:
Yep, linux/samba requires that user to have a valid account set up,
exactly as it appears on the logged in user on NT that si trying to
access linux.

>security=user
...snip....

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:18:02 -0400
From: Duncan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tcpdump and RH6.0 - anyone get it to work?

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Bryan wrote:

> I -was- root when I tried to run it.  here's the error I get:
>
> # tcpdump
> tcpdump: socket: Socket type not supported

I remember seeing something in the kernel config under networking
about a socket link or some such that must be enabled for tcpdump and
similar to work.  Look at yours and see if thats what you need.

--

Duncan Hill                     Sapere aude
One net to rule them all, One net to find them,

------------------------------

From: Britt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wuftpd anonymous access
Date: 25 Jul 1999 22:30:42 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I have installed both rpm's (wu-ftpd and anonftp). I should be able to
: connect as anonymous but I can not. I have also removed the denial of
: root so I can connect as root to the ftp server as well. I can not login
: as root as well. What needs to be done in order to setup access for
: anonymous or a user?

Make sure your /etc/shells file contains an entry for the ftp user
account, if the ftp user shell is /bin/false, make sure that is in
/etc/shells etc...

this bit me in the ass just last week...

Britt Bolen               [EMAIL PROTECTED]               britt.bolen.com

------------------------------

From: Britt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help setting up AMD map to automount CDROM and floppy
Date: 25 Jul 1999 22:35:15 GMT

Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I've been searching everywhere to find out how to set up amd automount
: for my local machine but can only find complex examples of network
: systems.  What I'm trying to do is have amd running and whenever I need
: to mount my cdrom, floppy or msdos partition (on the same drive) it will
: automatically be mounted, then unmounted after a certain amount of
: inactivity.

: I'm using Redhat 5.2.  I've tried autofs but don't like the way it
: works.  Can someone help me out with the amd.conf and the map to get
: this working?  I would like to have all my mounts under the /mnt
: directory.  (/mnt/cdrom, /mnt/floppy) Then when somthing accesses it, or
: is entered with a file manager, it will automatically mount. I know it's
: got to be simple for what I'm trying to do, I just cant find the info
: anywhere.

: If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

: Thanks,
: Warren Bell

I don't think this will work... I've only seen amd used to automount
either NFS or already mounted filesystems by symlink.  You could just add
/etc/fstab entries for each mount poiunt, and add the 'user' option to the
fstab so you don't have to be root to mount them.

'course I might be wrong

but I've neever seen amd used in this manner, i don't know how you would
setup the mount map to do the explicit 'mount' commands.

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can't boot because of samba
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:52:19 -0700

hi, there

I am trying to connect linux to WindowsNT DHCP server. I change interface
configuration of eth0 from "none" to "DHCP". But when reboot, DHCP doesn't
work. There is no frame received by WinNT. The  worse is Linux kernel
booting stop at "SMB smbd", and i can't access my linux system again. I have
no rescue disk. How can i do now? Any suggestion will be apperecitated.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:51:28 -0400
From: John <"jmiller"@(nospam).provide.net>
Subject: Anyone running Linksys Etherfast 10/100 cards?

I having a rough time getting my Linksys Etherfast 100/10 card working
under Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 (kernel 2.2.5).  I've updated the tulip
driver with no luck.

Is anyone running Linksys cards with Linux?  If so what distribution and
kernel level?.

------------------------------

From: luke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Help with ethernet card/cable modem
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:39:27 GMT

Thanks for your help, but now when i execute the commands i get the
following errors:

after running  /sbin/route add -net 24.114.0.0 netmask 255.255.252.0 i
get :
"SIOCADDRT: No Such Device"

and for this one /sbin/route add default gw 24.114.8.1 metric 1 :
"SIOCADDRT: file alreadly exists"

any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan)
Subject: Re: Linux as Firewall for DYNAMIC IP PPP connection
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:53:31 GMT

>Well, have fun with the 386 (compilin gmight be hell) but beyond that,
Might compile it on my pentium 266.....then copy it over.. I mean it
is an sx 20 I don't think compiling would take less than a couple of
hours at least...

=====SNIP=====

>3) Set up the firewall. Both ipfwadm and ipchains have an option to
>   filter incoming traffic by interface, so the trivial approach is
>   to disallow all private IPs (10.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/8,
>   172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16) on the external interface
>   (-W ppp0), add any other paranoia, and finally set the forwarding

AAAAH that's what i missed :O) Both the docs I read only mention
setting up by IP... THANK YOU!!!

>   rules to masquerade anything (that makes it through the input).
>
>4) If needed load the ip_masq_ftp, etc modules (insmod).

Think I'll compile it in.. slightly faster I think

>Voila, you've got a gate/firewall and you really don't need to worry
>about who you are. And if you DO want to know, you can put a script in
>/etc/ppp/ifup.local to tell you.
>
>Rudolf

Dan

Facts, my opinions, and sometimes bull***t, are all that I express.
reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
remove the NOSPAM-....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: weird ping
Date: 25 Jul 1999 22:51:56 GMT

Jerrad Pierce  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Firstly, how did you end up trying 55butes as a packet size?
>Secondly, it seemd that 55 will never go through, try pinging anywhere with it
>(eg mit.edu), no go.
>
>Hope this helps

tanana: /home/floyd >ping -c 4 -s 55 mit.edu
PING mit.edu (18.72.0.100): 55 data bytes

--- mit.edu ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 880.1/902.4/949.6 ms
tanana: /home/floyd >

Seems to work just fine.  (Note that the times reflect a
single hop satellite circuit.)

(Jerrad, your signature is obnoxious.  Cut it down to 4 lines max.)

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems,fa.linux.serial
Subject: Re: SDLC with any 'ol modem
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:47:29 GMT

it is not a trivial matter to do SDLC using the AUTOSYNC feature; you
have to do quite a bit of coding.  You need to get the AUTOSYNC
specifications, which will provide the complete details on how to do it.
Originally, Hayes distributed it.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to dig out the
information from my programs.

Marigowda Divya
GSOFT Networks

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (remove ZZZ if you want to Email me)

In article <7nfmfo$4cm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  PVS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> For sometime I have been engaged in simulating a point-of-sale device
> using a PC and--this is important--any 'ol modem.
>
> Before I began I was told that this was impossible, since these
devices
> used the SDLC (Synchronous Data Link Control) protocol to carry the
> message paylod and SDLC needs a synchronous modem, which is by far too
> expensive. POS devices often have a slow sync/async modem in them.
>
> So I swore I'd do it, and using a modem ordinarily available in the
> market. I have noticed that most modems I have come across do both
> synchronous and asynchronous communications (at least the brochures
say
> that), and if thats really true there shouldn't be a problem. The
right
> AT commands and I should be there I thought.
>
> Well, I guess there is something more to it since I haven't been very
> successful in spite of creating SDLC packets and trying the comms. The
> packets are OK. I used a modem line tap to capture exactly what the
POS
> device transmits and receives. (The line tap didn't show 7E at all
which
> I thought was strange, only lots of 3011EDE3--in hex--flowing back and
> forth. Would an MLT intelligently exclude 7E, since I set it to sync
> mode?)
>
> I may be missing out on something basic, like sync modems being
> something special you have to order for (I am using a PSION V.34 Gold
> Card with my laptop, which supports something called AutoSync. I have
> also tried a Samsung Vortec which supported more AT&Q* commands with
> no success).
>
> What I can't figure though is that SDLC seems to be like any other
> framing protocol. I am told PPP and the fax protocol are both based on
> it and I know PPP can work with any 'ol modem. Why call it synchronous
> (as in Synchronous DLC) then?
>
> And how does a modem manage to send clock signals "embedded" in data
> like some books say? I thought an extra signal needed an extra wire
> which telephone lines don't have. Whats with embedding a clock in
SDLC?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 01:02:57 GMT

thanks - I'll look into it.  didn't even think to check if some funky
kernel config option was needed for this to work ;-)

Duncan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Bryan wrote:

: > I -was- root when I tried to run it.  here's the error I get:
: >
: > # tcpdump
: > tcpdump: socket: Socket type not supported

: I remember seeing something in the kernel config under networking
: about a socket link or some such that must be enabled for tcpdump and
: similar to work.  Look at yours and see if thats what you need.

: --

: Duncan Hill                   Sapere aude
: One net to rule them all, One net to find them,
: One net to bring them all, and using Unix bind them.

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Connections filling up /var/log/messages
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:47:28 -0400

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction here.
Whenever I connect to work or my isp using ppp, I get massive HD
activity, after a couple of attempts I finally checked /var/log/messages
and below is what I'm seeing (sorry for the length of the snip but I
wanted everyone to see how many are coming in and that I'm getting my ip
address from the server). Can anyone tell me what these protocols are or
where I can find more info on how to stop it. I'm assuming that it's my
machine that's causing this since I get it from two different servers.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

Jul 25 19:55:27 BlueMoon pppd[386]: pppd 2.3.7 started by "myuserid",
uid 500
Jul 25 19:55:27 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Using interface ppp0
Jul 25 19:55:27 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Remote message: ^F
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x7263
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x5265
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x73
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x7263
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x73
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x7263
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x73
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x73
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x7263
Jul 25 19:55:34 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x5072
[...]
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x5072
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x7263
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x5072
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x7263
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol 0x73
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: local  IP address 166.102.134.108
Jul 25 19:55:35 BlueMoon pppd[386]: remote IP address 166.102.134.65