Dear Sirs,

I was using the excellent gPhoto program that is shipped with RedHat
Linux - the program that is able to unload a picture taken with a digital
camera in computer. And I suddenly become curious if someone thought about
using a code of this type for a similar operation (see below). I'm not
able to do this myself, since I'm not really a programmer, but I think
some people may be interested in the ideea.

There are many external modems on the market that know how to record
voice/fax/data messages while the PC is turned off. An example is the 3Com
U.S. Robotics 56K Message Modem, a very robust model. Basically, what a
modem like that does is to "unload" the recorded messages in the PC when
that is turned on, saving them on disk as .wav files (or another sound
file format).

The "unloading" operation is performed using a piece of Windows software
:-( that comes with the modem (please see http://www.supervoice.co.uk),
through the regular serial port (usually COM2). As far as I know, there is
no corresponding Linux software for that operation.

IMHO, that seems pretty similar to unloading a .jpeg picture from a
digital camera, as gPhoto does. What is possible for a picture won't be
possible for a sound file? Of course, I don't know yet if there is a
standardised interface for downloading the recorded messages, hardware
specs available or so. It's just an ideea.

Thanks,
Razvan
--
Dipl. Eng. Razvan SANDU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Network Administrator at I.R. COLOURS PROD S.R.L. - Bucharest, Romania