At 04:33 PM 3/12/01 -0300, you wrote:
>hi there
>
>i have a machine running linux kernel 2.0.37 and i want to update that kernel
>i have tried to use the patch files and some scripts to update, but it do not
>work.
>what i need to do to update my kernel to the last version (think is 2.4.2)

What you *need* depends on what you *have*, and you really haven't told us.
Generally speaking, you need:

        the kernel itself, in either image (pre-compiled binary) or
                source form. You can get source from any number of
                places; the easiest would be the same place you got
                your Linux system from (e.g., if it is Debian, you
                get the appropriate .deb - tell us what distro you're
                actually useing and I or someone will be more specific)

        if you use source, you need the environment for compilation.
                This consists basically of the gcc compiler/linker,
                the header files appropriate to your libraries, I think
                the "ac" assembler, and a couple of other odds and
                ends. If your system is set up as a development
                environment, you probably have all of this.

With that stuff, you follow the instructions that come with the kernel
source to compile. hey are pretty much "one, two, button my shoe" style for
a basic compile.

OTOH, if your system still doesn't have shadow passwords, it may be a VERY
old version of Linux. In that case, installing a complete, up-to-date
version (after saving your local files, of course, may be a better option.