Here is the output of
ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target  prot opt     source  destination  ports
DENY    udp  ----l-  anywhere  anywhere   any ->  0:1023
DENY    tcp  ----l-  anywhere  anywhere   any ->  0:1023
DENY    tcp  -y--l-  anywhere  anywhere   any ->  any
DENY    icmp ----l-  anywhere  anywhere   echo-request
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target  prot opt     source  destination  ports
MASQ    all  ------  anywhere  anywhere   n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

 Now another difficulty:
>From time to time my earthlink/mindspring connection is dropped.
'rp-pppoe' seems to detect this and re-runs its startup script (adsl-start).
This also re-sets my ipchains to the above.
i.e. I've appended (-A) ipchains to deny forward packets to ads.doubleclick.net,

by entering it as a command line. Alas, when the link is dropped and restarted
my rules
are removed. :-(

 How can I reset ipchains-rules each time ppp0 starts?