--- Richard Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sunday 26 May 2002 09:58, Jose Luis Alarcon wrote:
>> --- Richard Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Slackware
>>
>>   Debian. ;-).
>
>I stand by my statement, if one wants to learn how linux works, use
>slackware, its the only system that allows you to install what "you" want and
>not what the system wants, try that with all other distro's.
>
>Try installing debian, redhat, mandrake, suse on a system with low memory.
>Slackware can be installed on an old machine with 8MB, others cant.
>Slackware is operator dependant, that means configure things like X yourself
>if you want too, most all other distro's do it for you, so you see with those
>other distro's you "dont" learn linux as good as you do when one uses
>Slackware period.

  Hi Richard.

  I think i understand what you say about "what you want and
not what the system wants". Now i'm in a case with my Mandrake:
i like experimenting with the unestable kernels, and i was trying
install 2.5.17 kernel.

  But the matter is that Mandrake have enabled by default the DevFS
feature and the 2.5 serie have still a lot of problems with DevFS.

  Now i'm in a crossway. If i disable DevFS i loose many Mandrake
services that depends of it. Or i can choose not probe yet the 2.5
kernels serie, until DevFS gets work fine.

  This happens, in my opinion, cos the system is very "rigid" and
there are few "true" possibilitys of personalize it.

  Maybe one day, in the future, i will take the decision of try
Slackware, who knows. :-).

  Regards.

  Jose.

Debian GNU/Linux 'Sid' Kernel 2.4.17 Ext3.
Mandrake Linux 8.2 Kernel 2.4.17 ReiserFS.
Registered Linux User #213309.
Memories..... You are talking about memories.
Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.

Linux for the Desktop
Software, Setup, chat & email.
http://www.linuxnobis.com