At 09:03 AM 7/22/02 -0600, Jim Earl wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I am setting up a small network of one Linux and one non-Linux box.  The
>network is established via Ethernet; ifconfig and route report verify this.
>I am able to telnet from the non-linux to the Linux box but only using the
>IP address - NOT using the hostname.  However, when I try to telnet from the
>Linux box to itself ( using the loopback interface ), it works fine.  My
>/etc/hosts , /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/networks seem to be ok.
>
>I don't have 'named' running, but it looks like I might need to ( though I
>had wanted to avoid it ).
>
>Any ideas are appreciated.

The files that you say "seem to be ok" affect the ability of the Linux host
itself to resolve names, but they have nothing to do with the ability of
the "non-linux" host to resolve names. Your options are:

1. Run an on-LAN nameserver and tell the non-Linux host to use it to
resolve names. Running BIND (named) on the Linux host is one way to do this.

2. Set up the non-Linux host to do local name resolution using its
equivalent of /etc/hosts . Knowing nothing about this host, execpt that it
is a computer and it does not run Linux, I can't tell you how to do this.