Hi,

I just stumbled across this and thought it might help, it might do the same
thing you're indicating below, but if your try doesn't work, then maybe this
will help.

from man perlfaq4

How do I remove consecutive pairs of characters?

       To turn `"abbcccd"' into `"abccd"':

           s/(.)\1/$1/g;       # add /s to include newlines

       Here's a solution that turns "abbcccd" to "abcd":

           y///cs;     # y == tr, but shorter :-)

----Original Message Follows----

This is "what" the line looks like:

LLiinnuuxx--PPAAMM library

there is a Ctrl-H between each duplicate pair of letters..

I think I can strip it with a perl script at work.

$mystring=~/\cH.//g

I think will do it, I'll read the whole file into an array and iterate
through and see what happens..

  >>  > I'm trying to download the text manuals for the linux pam modules to
my
  >>  palm pilot, but there is the appearance of old style double strike for
  >>  emphasis text all over the docs.
  >>  >
  >>  > e.g. a L(backspace)Li(backspace)in(backspace)n
  >>  >
  >>  > What utility to remove this backspacing and doubling of characters
so
  >>  they would be over-written?
  >>  >
  >>  > Alan
  >>  >
  >>  > I dl'd the text file from the kernel.org website documentation of
pam