Hi, Le, Paul:

 I used an old 80586-120 cyrix system to share my dialup ISP service
with several workstations, linux, WFW3.11, Win95, Win98.  It
also functioned as a firewall.  I used applications that came
with my distribution (pppsetup) and set it up like the HowTo
IP-Masquerade. (And quite a bit of help here in this list ;-)

 I now have an aDSL ISP account and use 'Roaring Penguin'.
It is also capable of being a firewall.
OBTW, the 'new' internet connection sharing - firewall - router
is an old 80486dx33, 32 Meg of RAM, and a new 40 Gig hard disk.
The computer was USD$5 and had a 3c509 in it. I added another
3c509 ($2) and the hard drive ($60) and a keyboard ($4), so
I only have $71 invested in it!
:-)
HTH, Chuck

I used and use now ipchains.