The failed messages you report on indicate a basic misunderstanding about what the parts of an e-mail address do. The basic structure of a modern e-mail address is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Both localhost and localhost.localdomain are candidatef for appearing to the right of the @ sign, as alternatives to (in your case) hartford-hwp.com . From the failures, it appears that you are trying to use them to the left of the @ sign, as a substitute for brownh . Attempts to do this, quite properly, fail. The userid postion of the address needs to be either a valid account on the system (e.g., brownh or root) or an alias listed in your /etc/aliases file (e.g., postmaster).

So, based solely on these tests, there is NO evidence that sendmail is misconfigured. Bad addresses do bounce, and you do seem to get the bounces. There might be a configuration problem in rmail (an MUA I am unfamiliar with) that causes the bcc attempts to fail, or there may be something else causing that problem (in fetchmail, sendmail, or the ISP's smtp server) ... but nothing you report below helps to sort that one out.

I can't figure out what you are talking about with respect to item #2 in your list of messages.

Finally, in an earlier message you expressed some bewilderment about the term "outbox". This not a compact version of a traditional rural waste disposal system, as your facetious comments seemed to assume, but a place where your MUA stores copies of e-mail messages you have sent. All the MUAs I am familiar with keep them, but as I've said, I am not familiar with rmail. You should see if rmail maintains a maibox called out, or outbox, or sent-messages, or some other plausible synonym; if it does, you could then let us *see* the problem messages (at least the headers) rather than just telling us what you remember, or what you think is important, about them.