At 02:38 PM 1/12/03 -0500, Jonathan Kallay wrote:
I have been able to start X Windows in the past, but after plugging in a
different monitor (and changing the configuration file), startx will cause
the screen to go blank and never come back.  CTRL-ALT-BKSP won't work.  The
only way that I can see what is going on is by telnetting in from a
different computer and running startx.  No errors appear in the log file,
other than "Failed to load GLCore (module does not exist, 0)".  The very
bottom of the output reads:
 (II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Any suggestions?
When I experience similar problems, the usual cause is a vsync or hsync value that the monitor does not support. Sensible monitors (pretty much all of them, these days) tuen themselves off under when they get settings that are inconsistent with their hardware capabilities. Since you say you plugged in a difeent monitor, this seems like the first thing to check ... that is, when you changed the configuration file, did you do so in a way consistent with the new hardware? I can't be more specific because you haven't provided any details (like what version of XFree86, what video driver, and what monitor ... and what config-file changes).

Aside from that, you say that "CTRL-ALT-BKSP won't work". So ...

Does CTRL-ALT-F1 (or the F* value for whatever vt you ran startx from) work to restore a console?

Does killing the startx process from the telnet session restore a console?

Does flipping through your specified modes (with CTRL-ALT-+) ever produce a mode that works?

Does powering the monitor off, then back on, have any effect?

BTW, you characterize this problem as " X won't start". My response assumes this characterization is wrong ... that is, that if you do a "ps ax" from yout telnet session, you will see X processes (startx, X, maybe a font manager or a wm, and maybe others) listed as running. If I am mistaken in this ... if instead you mean that startx actually exits and still leaves the display blank, without a vt showing, please be specific about that.