On Wednesday 15 January 2003 21:15, Jonathan Kallay wrote:
> I had already compiled the nVidia driver but had not yet replaced the
> Driver line in XF86Config with the new driver- the nVidia docs suggested
> getting the X setup working first with the "nv" driver before switching to
> theirs. Just for kicks, I tried the nVidia driver, and lo and behold, it
> works.

The reason nvidia say get X working with the "nv" driver from XFree first is
for the reason that if the nv driver works then all one needs to do is change
one line in his/her XF86Config file, (2 lines could need altering as well),
but thats why they say get it working with nv first.

The other point here is, you say you had compiled the NVdriver modules from
nvidia but had not changed the XF86onfig file, that would explain the reason
why X complained about not finding the module extention, GLX i belive it was,
if you had noticed in the documantation that is explained in a round about
way that if you compile the driver and kernel file then things get changed
and replaced, that is the reason you were getting such an error message.

Now you can see the differance in video performance between nv and the
NVdriver espesialy if you have a DVD player.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]