At 10:07 AM 3/17/2003 -0800, Abhijit Vijay wrote:
Hi All,

I came to know from some of my labmates who did a
performance test, that Linux Samba access is
*significantly* slower (order of three times) than
Windows SMB. Is there any reason why this could be tru
and can this problem be fixed at all?

I can think of any number of reasons as to why it *could* be true. Better understanding, though, requires better information, such as ...

1. What version of Windows versus what versions of Linux and Samba?

2. Are there any hardware differences between the test servers? (For that matter, is the comparisone even between servers and not clients?) Any load differences? Any LAN differences?

3. What do you mean by "access" and "slower"? Does it mean, for example, that that actual bps speed of a file transfer differs between the two setups by a factor of three? Or that it takes 3 times as long to get a listing of available hosts? Or are we even talking about file access (and not print queueing)?

I don't notice a similar performance difference here, but that's based just on casual observation, not controlled tests. I'd be interested in the details of a controlled test, so please do follow up with more information.