Originally to: All

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  March 17th, 2003                             Volume 4, Number 11n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of each
week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Using Postfix for
Secure SMTP Gateways," "Cryptographic Filesystems: Design and Implementation,"
"Linux Security Modules: General Security Support for the Linux," and "A
practical approach for defeating Nmap OS-Fingerprinting."

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
This week advisories were released for zlib, sendmail, qpopper, file, snort,
mysqlcc, netscape-flash, ethereal, usermode, tcpdump, and lprold. The
distributors include Caldera, Debian, Guardian Digital's EnGarde Secure Linux,
Gentoo, Mandrake, NetBSD, Red Hat, and SuSE.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-6896.html

* Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digial's Secure Mail Suite is
unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features. Open source
technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email firewall, simplified
administration, automatically updated.

 --> http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailn3

Remote Syslog with MySQL and PHP
Msyslog has the ability to log syslog messages to a database. This allows for
easier monitoring of multiple servers and the ability to be display and search
for syslog messages using PHP or any other programming language that can
communicate with the database.by that, too.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-138.html

 #### Concerned about the next threat?  ####
 #### EnGarde is the undisputed winner! ####

 Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
 Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
 award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what
 the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

 http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarden2

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Samba 2.2.8 Available, Fixes Serious Security Vulnerability
March 15th, 2003

This release provides an important security fix outlined in the release notes
that follow. This is the latest stable release of Samba and the version that all
production Samba servers should be running for all current bug-fixes.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-6902.html

* Using Postfix for Secure SMTP Gateways
March 13th, 2003

Wietse Venema, intrepid developer of TCP wrappers and co-creator of SATAN, has
come through for us again: his program, postfix, provides an alternative to
sendmail that is simpler in design, more modular, easier to configure and less
work to administer.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-6895.html

* Snort survives first vulnerability
March 13th, 2003

Snort, the immensely popular open-source intrusion-detection system, is no
longer confined to cult status. Since going commercial in 2001 with the
formation of Columbia, Md.-based Sourcefire Inc., Snort has extended its reach
into enterprises and deep into the federal government.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-6894.html

* Manage Passwords Safely--and Simply
March 13th, 2003

You're doing a little Web browsing at work when you come upon Widgetsnmore.com,
a site that looks vaguely familiar. Suddenly, you see it: the multipurpose
electronic gadget polisher you've coveted for weeks--and it's half price until 5
o'clock today! You click on the image to order it, and...uh-oh. The site asks
for your password. What do you do?

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-6889.html

* Cryptographic Filesystems: Design and Implementation
March 11th, 2003

As security becomes a greater focus in networks, every aspect of online
information needs a level of protection from the network-level use of firewalls
and IDS to the host-level use of IDS. However, an additional level of security
has recently come to the forefront of security - cryptographic filesystems.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-6880.html

* Buffer Overflow Attacks and Their Countermeasures
March 10th, 2003

Buffer overflow problems always have been associated with security
vulnerabilities. In the past, lots of security breaches have occurred due to
buffer overflow. This article attempts to explain what buffer overflow is, how
it can be exploited and what countermeasures can be taken to avoid it.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-6872.html

* Linux Security Modules: General Security Support for the Linux
Kernel
March 10th, 2003

The access control mechanisms of existing mainstream operating systems are
inadequate to provide strong system security. Enhanced access control mechanisms
have failed to win acceptance into mainstream operating systems due in part to a
lack of consensus within the security community on the right solution.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-6871.html

* Securing Linux
March 10th, 2003

Here we go again. I decided to write another article concerning some overall
security aspects of installing and running linux. To keep it short and simple,
here are some good pointers to enhancing your system's security.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-6870.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* SSH Tunneling part 3 - Where does the crypto end?
March 16th, 2003

The book starts with a chapter dedicated to security basics. The author
introduces general security principles and helps you realize why firewalls
exist. Yeo naturally notes that a firewall is not the only method of defense you
should use.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-6904.html

* Wireless LAN Analyzers: The Ultimate Hacking Tools?
March 14th, 2003

In a Wireless LAN (WLAN), things are different. Its physical medium is the
electromagnetic spectrum, which exists everywhere and respects few boundaries.
Wi-Fi is now available at two different frequencies-IEEE 802.11b at 2.4GHz and
IEEE 802.11a at 5GHz-and both can suffer interference from neighboring networks
and other sources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-6900.html

* Personal Firewalls for Administrators and Remote Users
March 13th, 2003

The book starts with a chapter dedicated to security basics. The author
introduces general security principles and helps you realize why firewalls
exist. Yeo naturally notes that a firewall is not the only method of defense you
should use.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-6888.html

* Open Source Honeypots, Part Two: Deploying Honeyd in the Wild
March 13th, 2003

This is the second part of a three-part series looking at Honeyd, an open source
solution that is excellent for detecting attacks and unauthorized activity. In
the first paper, we introduced honeypots and discussed what they are, their
value, and the different types of honeypots. We then went into detail about the
Honeyd,.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-6892.html

* Study Exposes WLAN Security Risks
March 13th, 2003

As wireless networks continue to gain acceptance and become integral to
corporate computing environments, IT departments continue to ignore the myriad
security problems inherent to wireless LANs, according to a new study by RSA
Security Inc.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-6890.html

* IP Spoofing: An Introduction
March 11th, 2003

Criminals have long employed the tactic of masking their true identity, from
disguises to aliases to caller-id blocking. It should come as no surprise then,
that criminals who conduct their nefarious activities on networks and computers
should employ such techniques.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-6877.html

* A practical approach for defeating Nmap OS-Fingerprinting
March 11th, 2003

Remote OS Fingerprinting is becoming more and more important, not only for
security pen-testers, but for the black-hat. Just because Nmap is getting
popularity as the tool for guessing which OS is running in a remote system, some
security tools have been developed to fake Nmap in its OS Fingerprinting
purpose.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-6882.html

* Virtual Private Networks
March 10th, 2003

The concept of the Virtual Private Networks (VPN) is very simple. Take the
worlds largest network, the Internet, and use encryption to pass traffic between
two or more locations securely, making it a private network. However until
recently, the application of this simple concept has been very complex and not
cost effective.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-6873.html

+------------------------+
| General News:          |
+------------------------+

* Irish Honeynet slammed by attacks
March 16th, 2003

The Irish Honeynet enticed nearly 600 attacks in January, while the rampant
Slammer worm even caused it to be brought down for a day during the month.  The
decoy computer network, which was established to study cyber attackers, recorded
597 attacks during January.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-6903.html

* 'Honest, We're the Good Guys'
March 14th, 2003

American businesses feel a little like a rope that's being used in a tug of war
between privacy and patriotism. Their customers want the personal information
that businesses collect to be kept private, but the government wants access to
some of that data for use in various homeland security plans.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-6898.html

* Is a Sendmail worm likely?
March 12th, 2003

A serious buffer overflow vulnerability announced last week in Sendmail is ripe
to be exploited by targeted attacks, but it is also possible for a worm writer
to write malicious code that exploits the security hole. No one can say whether
a worm writer will create malware that targets the Sendmail flaw, but it is
possible, experts said.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-6886.html