Hi James.

Presumably you're using a recent enough version of Linux to be able to
mount by volume label rather than by partition name? If so, simply use
tune2fs to set a unique volume label for each partition on your USB hard
drive and mount using that.

To do this, replace the FIRST entry on the relevant fstab line with...

        LABEL=/usb

...or whatever label you have given that partition. The remaining entries
are unchanged.

Best wishes from Riley.
---
 * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.

---