On Tuesday 10 June 2003 17:34, Hal MacArgle wrote:

>       OK - I went back to a completly new try using the 8.0
> buslogic.s/colour.gz combination:/hda4 as swap and a clean /hda1 as
> target. Swap on; quick format; Source Slackware CD-ROM - autoscan
> found 2nd scsi cd ok; select 'a' only - report "Installing series
> a".. Then the dreaded panel, seen so many times: "MOUNT ERROR -
> Please be sure that it is mounted on /var/log/mount/slakware and that
> the Slackware disks are found in sub dirs /var/log/mount/slakware
> like specified." (Of course on the CD they are in slackware, not
> slakware.. With OK I got the # command line again but with several
> reports: "/usr/lib/setup/setup: cannot create /mnt/etc fstab:
> directory non-existent."

Have you tryed thr "scsi.s" disk, buslogic.s is only for the MultiMaster or so
stated in the doc's from slack-8.0.

As of 8.1 there is no buslogic.s disk its now scsi.s because of known problems
with buslogic controllers.

>       I checked and /mnt exists but not etc, so I did a mkdir etc
> there and went back to setup again.. This time I got the MOUNT ERROR
> report again, but not the previous non-existent, and, actually got as
> far as making a boot disk, selecting 'make lilo boot disk' but,
> noting that the a files were really never installed.. Trying to make
> the boot disk fd0 went into netherland and didn't stop running until
> I ejected the disk (a no-no to me, normally) Tried whole routine
> again making a 'simple' boot disk and it worked but, of course,
> reported a Kernel Panic: because there were no files on the drive..
>
>       In summation Richard, notwithstanding all the work you and
> others have done with this - Who needs it??? Life is too short..
> Apparently 8.1 has more than one messed up directory label, compared
> to the previous versions..This version installs OK with an ATAPI-IDE
> CD and HD with a BIOS that boots CD's, period.. IMHO. <grin> Since
> some vendors are eliminating floppies from their boxes now - I guess
> that's the way to go, eh?

I dont quite know what you mean abot messed up directory labels.
I have never noticed anything funny about 8.1..

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]