You sent this to me personally; I'm replying to the list, since that is how I prefer to provide technical assistance.

I think your error is in misunderstanding what "make oldconfig" does. It does NOT magically cause the new compile options to match your running kernel. It simply makes whatever is currently in (in this case) /home/cs0205/linux/.config match the current kernel source.

The purpose of this option is to simplify moving from an older to to a newer kernel source tree; it will prompt you to answer only questions that are not already addressed in the .config file. But if this is the first time you are compiling a kernel on the machine, it will have no way of knowing what options are in the current, running kernel-image.

As you use it, you are compiling the kernel with the as-shipped .config settings. They are unlikely to match your requirements. Your kernel is mising features you need to work with your overall setup.

To avoid this problem, use instead one of the configuration choices that has you review the entire .config file -- "make config", "make menuconfig" (I prefer this one, personally), or "make xconfig" -- and configure the kernel to match your needs.

The "make clean" step you add is not called for in the README doc. I doubt it causes a problem, but if your problems persist after you follow the preceding advice, try doing it before you do the "make config" or equivalent.

Iam using Redhat linux 2.4.18-14(which came with