To eliminate another variable, I tried to run the kernel compilation
without changing any kernel settings (just to see if the kernel source
would compile).

Without any configuration changes at all:
# make mrproper         // no errors
# make clean            // no errors
# make xconfig          // no errors
# make dep              // no errors
# make bzImage          // below (seems fine)

tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
bzImage
Root device is (8, 7)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 2621 bytes.
System is 1156 kB
warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'

# make modules          // no errors
# make install          // below

tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
bzImage
Root device is (8, 7)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 2621 bytes.
System is 1156 kB
warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-8custom bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-8custom bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom is not a directory.
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

# make modules_install  // no errors

Thanks again for all your help in sorting through this with me.

-- Travis