On 08-02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here are a couple more comments on filesystems. This may be getting a
> little off-topic from your initial question, but I think it is still
> relevant. Sorry if some of it is really common knowledge, I just like
> building up from the basics.

        <<Remainder snipped and archived in the _very informative_
folder....>>

        Greetings and not OT because Flash Drives are _the_ future
and it's coming up _fast_.. Even the huge retailer MallWart has them
on the shelves now.. I shall read the recommended HOW-TO's and your
dissertation made complete sense..

        If anyone is interested: The Link-Max USB Flash Drive works
beautifully in two machines here; running Slackware9.0, 2.4.20, with
_no_ user entries as long as the BIOS has USB enabled.. One a newer
ATX Celeron and the other an older AT AMD with the USB ports on a
header. Of course the devices manual lists wrong info about it's Linux
support and that M$Windows is PnP...

        I installed Win98 on another machine for kicks and couldn't
get it to work.. It found the stick but catch22 surfaced in that the
driver was in the stick but I couldn't read the stick.. A far cry
from PnP I thought until I re-read the docs which said "Win98 _SE_",
so I gather that Win98 plain vanilla is NG.. I don't run M$ stuff so
I reformatted the flash drive as ext2, noting one caveat: The write
protect switch works but you have to re-boot when changing it.
Perhaps umount/mount the modules would work here..

        Now I have to win the lottery in order to buy more flash
drives, eh? <grin> I wonder what the, if any, down side there is to
them? All that storage in so little space, blows my mind...

Thanks again,

Hal

> Hope this makes sense,
> Conway S. Smith