On Monday 08 September 2003 22:36, Alan Bort wrote:
> Anyway, in RedHat the ifconfig is in /sbin/ifconfig

Ah!, yes how correct you are, my mistake.

> If you want a certain user to have access to ifconfig, you should give the
> right permissions and then add to the .bashrc or .bash_profile the line:
> alias ifconfig="/sbin/ifconfig" and then log out and in again (so that the
> RC file will be run again. You can also run another shell /bin/sh. But
> logging out and back in is better.

HuH!!

1) No not at all, there is no need to give a user permissions to use ifconfig
as he HAS permission to use it as is, what a normall user cannot do with
ifconfig is up or down interfaces, a normal user can only see the details of
ifconfig output, but giving a normall user permission to use ifconfig in its
entirity you WILL comprimise your system to hackers, in otherwords you
open a closed door for them period.

2) A normall user can do the alias him/herself by using the following;
alias ifconfig='/sbin/ifconfig'

Thats it..

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/