On 10-05, pa3gcu wrote:
> > Apparently there's more to it than that as I see a man and directory
> > dedicated to "hotplug."
>
> It is rather complicated in its workings, however it does seem scary to say
> the lease.
>
> I have plugged my camera in and out many times, it is none the worse for it
> and they as they say thats how it works.

Greetings: It does work and I tried it on two machines "sneaker
netting" a large file between a normal ATX type machine with it's
integral USB port and an older AT machine with it's retrofitted USB
set up.. Now I have to retrofit an USB extension to the front of the
cases, like the newer boxes.. <grin>

> On another note about developments, i was presented with a new 120Gig SATA
> device by a windows shop keeper who bet me i could not get it to work with
> linux, tommorrow i will inform him it does as i am using it now with a
> patched 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> I can say they do work rather faster than a normal IDE device and it was not
> so hard to get it recocnised under linux, the problems start when one wants
> to install a distro on it, there's no support for thoses disks as yet.
> I have slack-9.1 installed on it now.
> If anyone is interested i will place a small howto on my site this week (i
> hope).

        I've been reading about the new serial drives with interest
because it may mean my sons, who must have the latest and greatest,
might be passing on to me their "old" 40-80Gb IDE drives, as they've
done in the past with the 2.1's and 4.3's... <grin> There is an
advantage to being behind the times, eh?

        I hope the vendor will let you keep the drive since you've
done the leg work.... And - Slack 9.1?? I haven't really started to
digest 9.0 yet. Ugh....

Vy 73,

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0   (2.4.20)
                Proprietary  Formats  Unacceptable
.