Peter wrote:

All the .wav files I use for sounds such as opening, closing, iconify etc. windows.
Playing a video CD is plain impossible whereas playing a music CD has no distortion.
The distortion is a continuous scratching and a tapering-off really annoying sound.

I went now back into SW9.1 did a make xconfig sound and klicked yes for OSS.
Now the tapering-off sound is gone, however, the annoying scratch persists. It is like an electrical static sound only harder on both speakers. I check the wires, the plug, changed speakers; they must be all fine since there is now such scratch with the RH9.0 sound system.

Did you disable alsa during xconfig? If no, please do so. A person I know had the same problem (while playing mp3's, but should apply anyways)
he had to run his music player with the OSS drivers (mpg321 -o oss ) for the sound to work fine.

Hope some solution can be found.

Regards