Thanks! I made it, I have now normal sound in Slackware 9.1

First I did make modules, then make modules_install after which I had no more
sound. Doing /sbin/insmod soundcore it spit back no such file. Then I found
that there is no .../drivers/sound folder. I copied it over from RedHat9. Did
insmod soundcore, ac97_codec, via82cxxx_audio and all sounded normally. Then I
put those insmod commands into rc.local. Using modprobe I get error no such
file soundcore etc.

I do not know if this is a professional solution, but it works.

Now to some of your questions:

In RedHat xconfig Sound has only one setting, sound card support yes. That is
what I put in Slackware and put 'no' on all the other settings which were
there. When you mentioned OSS I put that on 'yes' in SW.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Your problem in Slackware may simply be that you have not used amixer
> or alsamixer to configure the sound modules correctly

I tried tried all kinds of different settings on alsamixer before I went on
the list. According to Richard of pa3gcu my problem is well know of ALSA
drivers.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> though we customarily treat all 2.4.22 (for example)  kernel sources
> as the same in these discussions, that is not exactly true

As I mentioned I took the SW kernel 2.4.22 from the Slackware Installation
Disk and installed it in RH9 and even in RH7.3. Therefore, I assume that they
are the same.

In RH7.3 I had the kernel 2.4.18-7 and could open siag office. When I
installed RH9.0 with kernel 2.4.18-9 siag office would not open; don't ask me
why and by now I forgot the error message. Since siag office opens in SW9.1
with kernel 2.4.22 I put that kernel into RH9.0 and siag office runs again.

Thanks to your help and patience I am almost ready to fully switch to SW9.1.
Sorry for my sometimes not too professional descriptions of facts.

Regards

--
Peter