At 03:45 PM 3/8/2004 -0500, Hal MacArgle wrote:
Greetings: Been reading and viewing tons of stuff but can't seem to
find if there's a "simple" solution I need..

Would like to scan a normal black on white typewritten page to a PBM
file, "P4", then convert that to a standard text ascii file.. (My
scanner is a HP ScanJet IIC, that defaults PBM)

My "pen friend" insists on sending me snail mail and letting me reply
via eMail.. I would like to import part of his text into my document
- as is usually done..

Any suggestions as to an easy solution? Both the OCR programs and
PBMPlus package are, seemingly, way too powerful for my simple
requirement.. (Or are they?) <grin>

Well ... if you want to convert the text in a graphic image .... whether it is on a page or in a file ... to ascii text, you need to do OCR. That's what "OCR" means, after all. I haven't done this on Linux myself, but my instinct would be to try gocr for it, especially since the package docs for it say it reads pbm files (among other types).