Sounds like a good alternate solution for you, Hal - but one which is
likely only available for proprietary operating systems produced by
corporations bent on world market domination - would be speech recognition
software.  Read your friend's note into the computer, and have it produce
typed and formatted text.  I guess it'll be a few years before I can say:
"Hal, why don't you look into speech recognition software for Linux as a
solution to this problem?"  Meantime, we can at least dream about it and
identify it as a need, can't we?

James

PS  This presumes you've got audio-in working on your Linux box, which can
be another challenge in itself.