On Tuesday 23 March 2004 19:09, Rei Shinozuka wrote:
> i AM an old-timer (administered my first unix system 20 years ago!)
> i find multiple partitions eaiser to back up, easier to ensure that root
> never fills up, fscks run faster, have the flexibility to build
> more than one version of Linux if it so choose somewhere doewn the
> road.

Ok then considering unix dates back to 1970 and was given the name by Brian
Kernighan and that unix as such only got a name in 1973 when Dennis Ritchie
invented C, i guess you must have worked for Bell Labs back then or a
development group composed of at least the above 2 named persons.
Anyway, Unix is AFAIK 24 years old i am 53 (for what its worth) and claim to
have used most operting systems out there for some or little lenth of time
which is why i choose to say what i going to.

Anyway, if you have so much Unix experiance ( you did say you are an
old-timer) why i ask should you need to ask such a  trivial question.

> the disk in question is 200GB, the / slice  looks like it has only 7 GB
> on it currently.

I did say use
fdisk -l /dev/hda
Then you would know just HOW much is used, looks like is as many say "not an
option".

Ok then you have plenty of space to create your wanted partitions, however
before doing so, you said;

"i find multiple partitions eaiser to back up, easier to ensure that root
never fills up, fscks run faster, have the flexibility to build more than one
version of Linux if it so choose somewhere doewn the road."

Why are partitions easier to backup, you dont backup partitions you backup
directorys/files, or at least i do and seeing that most backup software that
is out there does that also i though i would ask..
You can of course backup mountpoints as such, but its still a directory
period.

fdisk runs at the same speed no matter how big the partition is, if one has
multiple partitions all created at the same time and considering the fact
that they all get mounted at bootime then fsck will check ALL the partitions
at the same time (as default it will) unless one uses tune2fs to change
things, but i guess you know that with all that unix experiance..
So your theory does not make sence, unless as i mentioned one changes the
defaults with tune2fs.

Anyway use reiserfs then fsck is not an option and certanly NOT a hinderance,
a system which was simply switched off without umounting a reiserfs
filesystem will startup in zippo sec's, even quicker than XP with NTFS
period.
Even if problems occur there is no comparision between fsck checking an
ext2/3 system and resierfs.

Having said that, you with the 20 years unix experiance will also know that
system uptimes are fantastic, so if one reboots a machine once in a while say
after 400+ days then 5 minutes fsck is not really an issue if you have ext2
or ext3.
To overcome that one use reiserfs for the reasons mentioned above which
disprove your theroy.

 /root will fill up after any amount of time, you made no mention of /var
where log files are kept,  /usr where programs go, /usr/src where the linux
source belongs, one as you will no doubt want to have multiple kernsl and
multiple kernels means multi bytes as one kernelsource is 240Mb after a
compile.
 /usr/local/src where one should do his own thing. Unless they are on another
partition then /root will fill up period.

Anyway, if you require letter to letter help say so, but i am sure that you
with those 20 years of unix experiance can figure it all  out without our
humbel help.

Use fdisk to create more partitions, 'man fdisk' will help, when in fdisk use
the famous "?" to ask questions.
Or beforehand;
man fdisk

man mkfs
will help you in creating a filesystem be it ext2 ext3 or whatever.

man mount
for mounting those partitions you created,

man mkdir
for creating your mountpoints.

google.com/linux for a search engine to see if others have asked before and to
see the answers they got.

Now i may well have my facts wrong here, but;
Are you Rei Shinozuka who created an icon for TkMan,?
Did you ask in another mail here in this list dated Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004
10:29:20 -0800 about
"hardware advice for a PC moron"
If i had 20 years experiance with unix systems i would certanly not call or
even insinuate that i was a Moron.

After all that i hope this helps.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/