Responding to bits and pieces only.

At 10:28 PM 4/12/2004 -0500, James Miller wrote:
[...]
 I know of no sensible workaround for this problem, except
> the  most basic one: keep a copy of your changes somewhere and be ready to
> restore them if you need to.

Ok.  Hope I can remember that I saved it should I ever need to
reconfigure.

You sound like my son. But I digress ....

Over the years, the only practice I've found that lets me avoid this sort of problem is to maintain a configuration-notes file on each system I admin. I keep it in /root, I always give it the same name, and I write down everything I do, including noting the locations of any non-standard backups I make. Since I never have more than a half-dozen machines I'm supporting, this approach suffices (combined with using only Debian and having some fairly predictable habits about how I do things) to let me keep track of system-level stuff pretty well. I admit I learned this lesson the hard way.

I do wonder if others have developed better tricks than I have for keeping track of things.

> But your problem is probably with the "Configured Mouse" entry. It may be
> using the wrong device (I don't have a /dev/gpmdata device here so cannot
> check what it is). You may be able to fix the problem by editing
> XF86Config-4 so this Device entry points to /dev/psaux (assuming you have
> that device).

I installed gpm (gives mouse cursor/action in console mode) since I've
used virtual terminals alot on other machines.  On this one, I don't use
them much, so maybe I should just uninstall gpm?

Yes. gpm and X are known to conflict. Sometimes -- with particular X servers and mice, I guess -- they don't .. but that's just luck.

[...]
Ok, I'll try that.  Thanks for the advice.  Maybe I'm being too hyper
about kernel upgrades, but when I read about some kernel security
vulnerability, my inclination is to upgrade to a newer kernel.  Is this a
sound, or perhaps inadvisable, approach?

Hard to answer definitively. Most of the vulnerabilities I see reported in Debian security announcements are local ... they are ways an ordinary user can become root. Since only my son and I use these hosts, and we both have root access, and they are behind a good firewall, I tend not to treat these announcements as urgent. But if I were in a work or school setting with many unprivileged user accounts, or I were connecting directly to the Internet, I would be more proactive.

The security of a host or a network needs to be judged as a whole, not piece by piece.