Just to bring to an end this gruesome tale, I offer the following.  The
vmware developer who monitors the forum and lives in the Czech Republic
mentioned that he had gotten vmware modules to compile using the latest
patch under a 2.6.5 kernel.  Since the 2.6.5 kernel has now become
available on Sid mirrors (don't know since when, but recently), I decided
to test it and see if the compile would succeed under 2.6.5 where it had
failed under 2.6.4.  Sure enough, it worked.  So, I now have vmware
working, the PC speaker working - and everything else on the system, so
far as I can tell - with better mouse action and a snappier system under
the 2.6.x kernel.  I think I'll probably stick with it now.  Thanks for
your input.

Sincerely, James