At 10/5/2004 06:01 AM +0100, Ankit Jain wrote:
well i am using linux 9.0 kernel 2.4 ver. 128 Mb RAM

i have seen not only on this sytem but the other one having 512 Mb RAM the most of the memory is lost or taken by graphics or xserver. on my system around 90% is occupied by the xsever and on the sys with 512 Mb RAM around 70% is occupied. how to reduce this load. i oculd not get any article or stuff relate to this . if we can do something in kernel or in some way reduce this load while working in GUI envt

What makes you think you need to reduce memory usage? There is no penalty for using all of memory (but there is when you try to use more than is available). Modern operating systems use physical RAM for all kinds of things (e.g., disc cache) that are released only when something else needs RAM. Ignore the "RAM in use" indicators; instead pay attention to disc I/O (both I/Os per second and MBs per second) and perhaps CPU utilization. Real memory pressure is best monitored by watching for disc I/Os related to swapping and perhaps page faults.

--
Jeff Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>