Ankit Jain wrote:

thanks

this is the output

i am using redhat linux 9.0

"I know Red Hat has a lot of standard daemons (PCMCIA,
ISDN, etc) that are started by default - have you used
chkconfig or redhat-config-services to shut off
unneded services?" as u said...how to do this. i am
intrested in closing these services

thanks again

Easiest way to do this is to start an xterm, su to root, and type "redhat-config-services &". That will give you a GUI to select the services you wish to run. Depending on how much you selected when installing, it could be quite a bit.

Runlevel 3 is the Red Hat standard for booting into command-line mode, and runlevel 5 is the standard graphical login level.

The only critical services controlled by this are network, syslog, xinetd, and nfslock (if you are using NFS). Do not disable those unless you know what you're doing it for. iptables is the firewall control (only disable if you are in a very well protected network).

Most everything else can be turned off.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ankit]$ cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 120741888 118902784 1839104 0 1695744
74162176
Swap: 534601728 69509120 465092608
MemTotal: 117912 kB
MemFree: 1796 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 1656 kB
Cached: 36536 kB
SwapCached: 35888 kB
Active: 65144 kB
ActiveAnon: 37092 kB
ActiveCache: 28052 kB
Inact_dirty: 4852 kB
Inact_laundry: 6728 kB
Inact_clean: 1068 kB
Inact_target: 15556 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 117912 kB
LowFree: 1796 kB
SwapTotal: 522072 kB
SwapFree: 454192 kB

128 MB RAM is marginal for using KDE or Gnome on RH9. You can do it (that's all I had on my first Linux box) but it's a pig.

You've got almost 70 MB in swap - over 30% of your total process memory. BTW - what kind of computer is it? If it's not some oddball hardware, your best solution is some RAM. 256 MB is enough to make X happy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ankit]$ ps -al
F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN TTY
TIME CMD
0 R 501 4306 4279 0 75 0 - 778 - pts/0 00:00:00 ps

The difference between 'ps -al' and 'ps -Al' (note the uppercase A) is that ps -Al shows all of the processes running on the computer - whereas ps -al only shows the processes running on the terminal that ran the command.