On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, James Miller wrote:

> I've been trying to add a certain entry to my sources.list file (this is
> Ubuntu--a newer Debian variant) but cannot puzzle out the right form for
> it.  I've looked at the Apt how to at Debian's site, as well as the
> sources.list manpage: I didn't read them from beginning to end, but
> looking in the places that seemed most relevant didn't turn up the answer.
> This is not a standard Debian source, but a related project.  Part of the
> problem here is that the documentation wants to show you how standard,
> Debian entries look and to explain the components.  But since I'm not
> using a standard Debian source, I suppose I'll need to transpose them
> somehow to my situation.  But I can't find the right information to allow
> me to do the transposing.  Maybe someone here can help?  The source I'm
> trying to add is:
>
> deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/Ubuntu/apt/ binary/
>
> This is the way the url was listed in a posting I found.  I checked the
> url and it is active, and sure enough, in the binary directory, there is a
> Packages.gz file as I understand there should be.  When I add that line to
> sources.list and then start Synaptic (sissified gui thingy for apt) I get
> an error message about "couldn't stat source package."  What am I doing
> wrong, and how do I add this entry successfully to sources.list?
>
> Thanks, James

Wednesday, December 08 03:38:31

Maybe this will help you further.. ?
article At: http://rage.against.org/UbuntuInstall

After some Googling, I found this "reported" bug. The solution apparently
lies in installing a lot of packages which weren't bundled on the
distribution or apt sources (licensing issues), by uncommenting the two
lines with repository "universe" on /etc/apt/sources.list (basically gives
you access to software unsupported by the Ubuntu team and which may not be
under a free license) and add
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty multiverse
to the same file, issuing "apt-get update" afterwards.

G00G0ldLuCk.. ;-)

J.