chuck gelm wrote:
Howdy:

 I have cable modem access to the internet now and the download speed is
double my original DSL speed.  :-)    However, I am concerned about
security.

 Can other cable modem subscribers see my packets?

IIRC, most modern cable modems filter anything not addressed to them - you'd have to hack your modem to get it to go into promiscuous mode.

It's not easy to do, and it relies on brain-dead network admins to leave some back doors in.

OTOH, you could probably find hardware to do just this - if you were in law enforcement.

 To test this, I am trying to use tcpdump to monitor packets that my
cable modem is sending to my 'router'.

I am using these arguments:
tcpdump -i eth1 -c 9 -nt not arp and not host W.X.Y.Z > \ http://gelm.net/tcpdump.txt

(<W.X.Y.Z> == My assigned IP address)

 I am still seeing many 'bootp' packets.

How do filter out 'bootp' packets with tcpdump?

Regards, Chuck