Peter H. wrote:
Season Greetings,

Slackware 10, Kernel 2.4.26

I got myself an Asus Atapi CD-RW-Drive and I am not sure if this was the right choice for Linux. I was able to make it work following the instruction of the program xcdroast, however, some things seem strange.

I always get error messages telling not to use atapi instead scsi.

I had a CD with picture files on. When I copied them to the HD I can't open them and copying back to the CD I can't open them as well any longer. In fact I can not mount the CD anymore. Only xcdroast can.
$ mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: Not a directory

I've had similar problems with Slackware - it doesn't always set the /dev/cdrom symlink properly, and *really* has problems with external (SCSI, USB) CDROM drives. you might want to try the full mount command (as root):

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom

Trying too boot Knoppix 3.4 from the CD I get only a blank screen. Booting from CD and then switching to HD, Knoppix works alright.

It seems that xcdroast can only write .wav and .iso files?????

Somewhat. k3b is better at creating iso files, and lets you drag and drop the file system on the CD, but sometimes (for more advanced efforts - creating bootable CD's, Mac-format CD's, etc) you still need to use the mkisofs | cdrecord command line combo.

Questions:

Is there a better CD-RW-Drive for Linux than Asus? The shop is willing to exxchange.

Are there better programs than xcdroast to R+W and which?