At 09:03 AM 1/29/2005 -0500, Hal MacArgle wrote:

Greetings: Running Slackware 9.0 and 9.1; kernels 2.4.20 or 2.4.22,
bare.i installation, I've experienced good support for all USB
devices except Flash Drives.

First one bought was a Link-Max UL-641 that, plugged in, was
immediately accessible by the kernel with no configuring by me..

Later attempts with other brands, no such luck.. As I look at the
retail boxes not a single one mentions Linux, so was wondering what
others have discovered.. It's no fun buying then returning just to
see what works or doesn't... <grin>

Most of the comments on the Web seem to indicate this is not a
problem but I've found otherwise.. One vendor, Kingston, said flat
out that Linux is not supported by their devices..

Best and TIA.

I've only used one of these drives, a Lexar 256 MB JunpDrive Secure. Since I compile my own kernels, I did have to recompile (2.4.21, I think), turning on several USB options and SCSI (the standard way to access USB drives uses SCSI emulation), but then had no difficulty on my own systems ... and a couple of embedded Linux systems, using their manufacturers' stock kernels, also accessed the drive with no difficulty.

Since you don't include any details, I don't know if what was unusual about your experience was the single success (say with a device that does not require SCSI emulation somehow) or your several (few? many? you don't say) failures.

Why not tell us more ... in particular, what devices you tried with and failed, and how you accessed the Link-Max.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.4 - Release Date: 1/25/2005