Hal MacArgle wrote:
Greetings: Running Slackware 9.0 and 9.1; kernels 2.4.20 or 2.4.22,
bare.i installation, I've experienced good support for all USB
devices except Flash Drives.

First one bought was a Link-Max UL-641 that, plugged in, was
immediately accessible by the kernel with no configuring by me..

Later attempts with other brands, no such luck.. As I look at the
retail boxes not a single one mentions Linux, so was wondering what
others have discovered.. It's no fun buying then returning just to
see what works or doesn't... <grin>

Most of the comments on the Web seem to indicate this is not a
problem but I've found otherwise.. One vendor, Kingston, said flat
out that Linux is not supported by their devices..

Best and TIA.
Hi, Hal:

 I have a SanDisk Cruzer micro (128 MB) and just plugged it into
3 systems running kernel-2.4.22 (Slackware 9.1) and
1 laptop  running kernel-2.4.26 (Slackware 10.0)
and all reported a new USB device and
SCSI Emulation for Mass Storage Devices assigned it
sda:sda1

 I think that 'hotplug' helps to accomplish this automagically.

 So, these devices support USB and if your linux kernel
supports 'SCSI emulation' and USB, it should work.

I think.

HTH, Chuck