On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Eve Atley wrote:

> Is there a way to set a quota limit on user's home folders? EG. say I have
> /home/joe, /home/jane, and want to set it so they can have no more than 5GB
> in their folders?
>
> Thanks,
> Eve

What you have todo is:

1.  Create seperate partitions for the /home/joe /home/jane directory
    entrys.
2.  install the quota program for your native GNU/Linux distribution you
    are using. Which is ??? [Next time tell your system specs when asking
    a question]
3.  Update /etc/fstab and remount the system.

Note, the kernel has to support the use of quota's in most cases.

Here are some links:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialQuotas.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-disk-quotas.html
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/quotas.html

B.t.w.
The `Folders' terminology is used in a M$ Wintendo enviroment but in the *X
world they
are refered to as directorys or special files.

cheers

J.