At 09:38 PM 4/8/2005 -0500, James Miller wrote:
[...]
A standard Debian menu of this sort includes a WindowManagers section that lets you select among the available WMs.

Yep, standard Debian unstable, installed starting with a netinst CD. The menu program is installed, and menus are getting updated. Despite this, I see no WindowManagers section anywhere: maybe the packagers for Gnome thought no one would ever want to use any other WM after trying Gnome :) ? Don't see that anywhere--not among the Gnome menu items, nor under the "Debian" section.

Hmmmph! Now I really wish I could see what you're seeing. I don't run Gnome, but I''ve always had the WindowManagers choice in any WM I did run ... mainly blackbox and KDE. In Gnome, it would probably be the next-to-last item in the Debian section. It's where the choice to exit from X is.

Or, you might approach this by creating a dedicated userid to run this special WM setup, and use its .xsession file to set things up. Then just log into that userid in the second xdm, and you're set to go.

I don't see any .xsession file in my user's directory either. In fact, I created my own .xinitrc file so I could get ion3 on logging in in a console and running startx -- :1. I couldn't find anything like the file you mention or .xinitrc when I originally started setting this all up.

I may have misled you here; sorry. None of my X-using users has either of these files by default either. They are the ones you create if you want user-spefici customizations, not stock items created from a template the way that, for example, .bash_profile and .bashrc are.
[...]