On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 07:14 PM 4/14/2005 +0200, J. wrote:
> >On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Eric Bambach wrote:
> >
> > > Ssh is the de facto standard for remote administration but It lacks the
> > > ability to give you a GUI interface.
> >
> >What ? Search for SSH GUI and google returns +770,000 matches.. ! Other
> >than that it can be used to encrypt just about any connection, like for
> >example X .
> >
> > > SSH Is quick and dirty
> >
> >Send a message to one of the SSH lists with that line in the subject. ;-)
> >
> > > remote administration and comes standard (or should ) on all Unix
> > > variants.  (openssh.com)
> > >
> > > TightVNC is a rather "unrobust" remote X server but it gets the job
> > done. This
> > > will let you connect remotely and get an X GUI session open.
> > >
> > > If you can afford it, ...........
> >
> ><CUT>
> ></CUT>
> >
> >Then take 10min's of your precious time and look at some of the +200
> >projects that provide OPEN/FREE remote X administration.
> [...]
>
> If you really want people to follow this sort of advice, you might want to
> be a bit more specific about your recommendations.

Well maybe your right, ....... Anyway When I querry the google.com/linux
`the linux' search engine. It returns many of the ssh GUI projects listed
at freshmeat.net, sourceforge.net and other projects. Maybe even more
important tut's & howto's like:
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html

> I tried the Google search you suggest above. I actually got about 667,000
> matches. More important than the lower raw number, though ... the top few
> matches were to a *commerical* product (Techia), a GUI for *managing* sshd
> locally (SecPanel), and what looks like an *abandoned*, incomplete effort
> located at Sourceforge (ssh-gui, last updated June 2000).
>
> I scanned the top 50 Google responses a bit more quickly, and saw a mix of
> secondary references to these 3 apps, mailing-list questions that offered
> no solutions, and references to tunneling VNC over ssh.
>
> So some better guidence to the "+200 projects" you allude to would be
> welcome. I'm having no luck finding any of them in the Debian package
> management system ("apt-cache", that is, on Debian Unstable), using what I
> think of as obvious, beginner-level searching strategies.

That's prob. because there is no real need for that on GNU/Linux os. You
could always check the text `/var/lib/dpkg/available' manually or by using
dpkg -p, dpkg --print-avail ...

> And your
> suggested Google search didn't prove profitable. So where are they...

I am not going to paste the whole list of projects I ran into at freshmeat
& sourceforge.. Just search for vnc, rdesktop, keyword: `remote', kboodle,
mc4j, privaria, bo2k and that's just the top couple of hits on the
first page.

Butttt...... I am still not sure if the original poster want's
windows <-> linux or  linux <-> linux or ?? Again some more info with his
question would produce better answers like someone already pointed out in
a previous reply.

> and are there any you can actually recommend to a beginner (this is a
> list where *beginners* ask questions, after all)?

Well, what is a beginner.. ? Different people, Different pref's..

> (Just so you know ... I don't do much remote admin any more. When I do
> (did), I usually use(d) ssh-based console sessions. I've occasionally used
> tunneled VNC connections, and even more occasionally tunneled X, but I've
> always found the line speed (cheap ADSL on both ends) too slow to make
> gui-based approaches comfortable for any situation in which a CLI approach
> was a real alternative.)

If there isn't to much noise on the DSL line, you can try to improve
performance by giving priorities and queueing the appropiate packets
in your firewall. Many central DSL phone centrals reset themselfs after
30min's of being offline, doing that one's a week can help...
Most default supplied DSL modems can't do transparant bridging in a proper
way and come with a crappy tcp/ip stack and firmware, always run the
latest firmware. There are many var's working on a line that could be
optimized. For example after I updated the firmware of my DSL modem it
suddenly stopped choking after a couple days of continues
downloading.. etc.. So that could be factor to. Then there is
the length inbetween your modem and the DSL phone central, properly
earthed modems and computers will also make a difference - Just like those
old 56k modems.

J.